• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
This is the thread for the women's final on Saturday.

[22] Rybakina vs Sabalenka [5]

1674805579884.jpeg vs 1674805687984.jpeg

Odds to win (Tennis Abstract)
Sabalenka 63.2%
Rybakina 36.8%

H2H
ScoreWinner
World Tennis League(exo)0-6, 6-1, 10,6Rybakina
Wimbledon 20216-3 4-6 6-3Sabalenka
Abu Dhabi WTA 20216-4, 4,6, 6,3Sabalenka
Wuhan 20196-3, 1-6, 6-1Sabalenka
Overall3 to 1Sabalenka

Road to the final
26.01.Rybakina E. - Azarenka V.SF7-6(4), 6-3
24.01.Rybakina E. - Ostapenko J.QF6-2, 6-4
22.01.Rybakina E. - Swiatek I.R166-4, 6-4
20.01.Rybakina E. - Collins D.3R6-2, 5-7, 6-2
18.01.Rybakina E. - Juvan K.2R6-2, 6-1
16.01.Rybakina E. - Cocciaretto E.1R7-5, 6-3

26.01.Sabalenka A. - Linette M.SF7-6(1), 6-2
25.01.Sabalenka A. - Vekic D.QF6-3, 6-2
23.01.Sabalenka A. - Bencic B.R167-5, 6-2
21.01.Sabalenka A. - Mertens E.3R6-2, 6-3
19.01.Sabalenka A. - Rogers S.2R6-3, 6-1
17.01.Sabalenka A. - Martincova T.1R6-1, 6-4

So, we have two of the biggest hitters in womens tennis in the final of the Aus Open. After Barty last year, it is quite the change of playing styles. Only 1 set has been lost by Rybakina, with Sabalenka not having dropped a set. In reality, these are the best 2 players this fortnight in a final which hopefully goes for 3 sets. There has been a lack of that this last week.

I tipped Sabalenka at the start of the tournament. Her form in taking Adelaide 1 was impressive and she has finally made her first Grand Slam final after many failed attempts(3 lost semis). She blew Linette off the course in the semi with an impressive TB and an equally impressive 2nd set. Ironically, her serve last year was an actual joke, with double figures in the double fault categories not being uncommon. This year, she actually went a long time without dropping serve and it is no longer such a big weakness. Her power baseline game is first rate and unlike previous years, her W/E has been at a healthy rate. This is the biggest match of her career. She has won 4 master's trophies in the past but at GS level, this is her first final. This might be a downside as she can actually throw in a lot of errors due to her playing style when she is nervous or things are not going her way. It looks tough to tip against her.

Rybakina is a favourite of several on this forum and has been on the rise for a while. Covid really delayed her expected rise by a year, as she was on of th best players on tour before everything hit the fan. Though born in Moscow, she represents Kazakstan on the world stage and has done since she turned pro. Her toughest match was on outside court against the runner-up from last year(Collins) and that has been the only set she has dropped this tournament. Her best match was beating the world number 1 in Swiatek in a match where she just overpowered her much-fancied opponent. With the best serve in Women's tennis and a powerful 2nd punch/ground stokes; she has already won a grand slam(though you wouldn't know it by the scheduling or the lack of respect given to her). She shows no emotion on the court and is one of the coldest tennis players on the women's side. She wouldn't know what nerves are.

I am so torn on this final. In one corner, is one of my favs with such a solid game that has already seen her rise to the top. In the other, is my pre-tournament pick and has been the most likely for a long time to finally win a Major. I am going to go for my heart and say Rybakina will win in 3, as she will be more solid and consistent in the 2 hour-plus match. Still, it is shaping up to be a massive final. It might not be pretty to watch at times but it should be tense and loud(mainly due to Sabalenka)

Rybakina in 3

Last edited:

Scheduled for overseas I guess but I'd love the mens doubles final on at 3pm today. If they want content after the womens final then play a Legends match.

I can't see Kubler or Hijikata coming on before 10pm. It's about an hour from when ladies finals finishes with all the interviews and presentations.

Scheduled for overseas I guess but I'd love the mens doubles final on at 3pm today. If they want content after the womens final then play a Legends match.

I can't see Kubler or Hijikata coming on before 10pm. It's about an hour from when ladies finals finishes with all the interviews and presentations.

You would capture most of the interested fans in Europe with a 4pm start (6-8am in Europe) and still have plenty of time to clear things before a 7 or 7.30pm Women's match.

Can’t agree. Half the time the women’s final goes 2 sets. If you are paying let’s say $400 a ticket are you happy with 2 sets of decent tennis?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t agree. Half the time the women’s final goes 2 sets. If you are paying let’s say $400 a ticket are you happy with 2 sets of decent tennis?

If the schedule is the same as tomorrow it works for ticket holders especially if you tap on a legends.

It's not so much the length of the womens match its everything that has to happen between the matches.

If the schedule is the same as tomorrow it works for ticket holders especially if you tap on a legends.

It's not so much the length of the womens match its everything that has to happen between the matches.

As someone that pays for women’s final tickets keep it as it is thanks. Timing is better under lights

Back