Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 7 vs. Geelong - Optus Stadium (WA), 8:10pm Thur 16/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We are not a great wet weather team, either. Luckily finals are more often than not in dry weather, but we need to get there in the top 4.

If its raining, Cox shouldnt play.

But... I did watch the game back, and Cox did quite a bit re drawing aerial defence, making a contest, little taps, bringing ball to ground. I know it sounds obvious, but he was indirectly involved in quite a few goals, that wouldve otherwise seen the ball bounce straight back. He just needs to think 'mark first' more often, rather than just throw up one hand to make sure no-one marks it. He should dominate more, but second guesses himself too often, and you can see him thinking 'just bring it to ground'.

He also still gets stiffed for frees in every game. If he gets one paid for him, they never pay the second, or third. When hands in the back, or interference, is binary, rather than being limited to how many you are allowed per game.

i'm tired of watching EVERY defender run past Mason.His asset is his height in marking/ruck contests, but his limited agility costs us in so many ways.
And wet conditions only amplify the problem. At his best he can be very good, but his development has stalled, he's too easily nullified physically & doesn't provide defensive pressure. Will Kelly was a (painfully cruel) glimpse of the future.
Phillips asset is his endurance running. 16 minute quarters are exposing him. Most here are clamouring for Callum brown to come out for Daicos. If Phillips doesn't play on the wing , he doesn't provide enough.
Rapt with what we saw from IQ & Atu - fast, hard, clean footy. Pump games into them like Maynard.

What I expect - OUT Kelly, C Brown
IN DeGoey, Daicos
What I want - OUT Kelly,Cox,Wills,Phillips
- IN DeGoey, Cameron/Reid,Daicos,Sier.
Cox,Wills,Varcoe (&WHE) were all better against Hawthorn, but still not certain best 22. Cox shouldn't play in the wet.
Keep spinning the magnets Bucks !

I'm not worried about Steven.

Same send someone to danger. Gonna be wet game, hopefully both degoey and daicos in. Send someone to danger.

Still think cox shouldn’t play. He is completely ineffective in the wet. And people argue about how he brings the ball down..... Well, he’s had 11 scoring involvements for the year, by comparison Hawkins has 44 (not to mention goals) If that’s not a damning stat I don’t know what is. He’s not marking it, and is not involved in scoring. Everyone saying our forward line is our weakness, we’ll mix it up.

Last edited:
Same send someone to danger. Gonna be wet game, hopefully both degoey and daicos in. Send someone to danger.
Yeah we don't usually do that. Bucks usually relies in our midfield to go against theirs. But sometimes Treloar has had the job of going on to someone. I guess we'll see.

If it's wet we should leave out Cox and go with a smaller, more mobile forward line. Grundy is good enough to go solo for of most of the game.
In JDG-Daicos-Appleby.
Danger and Selwood's power through the midfield is concerning, Sier could be an option to combat that, although the club will probably back Wills and Adams to get the job done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Daicos straight back in!!

Jordan De Goey
Was ruled out of the round six win over Hawthorn, then headed straight to the Pies' Perth hub. Looms as an important inclusion given the Cats' strong defensive set-up.

Josh Daicos
Missed the win over the Hawks due to an ankle issue picked up during a training session in Sydney. Trained strongly in Perth on Tuesday and looks set to return to face Geelong.

Tyler Brown
Was omitted from the AFL team that beat the Hawks but remains very much in the mix for selection to take on the Cats.

Darcy Cameron
Was among the emergencies for the win over Hawthorn and hasn't put a foot wrong in the reserves scratch matches.

Josh Thomas
Like Cameron, Thomas has been a regular on the emergency list for the AFL team. Continues to press his case in the reserves games and on the training track.

Brayden Sier
Is knocking on the door with good performances in the reserves.

John Noble
Was a regular in the AFL team during the early rounds of the season, before losing his spot for the round five clash with Essendon. Did his chances of a recall no harm with a strong performance in the reserves last weekend.

No way Brown goes out in these conditions. Cox will be his usual self but maybe required to give Grundy a hand. Like to see them rotate more with Grundy spending some more time up forward. Thomas will be hungry for a spot and be handy in these conditions.

Out: Kelly, WHE, Atu, Over handling

In: Degoey, Daicos, Thomas, Keep the ball moving forward and more direct.

DeGoey and Daicos in seems a certainty to me.

If the rain is coming as predicted I'd be dropping Cox and of course Kelly is injured.

We go in a one player "smaller" and Callum Brown is very lucky indeed.

He also still gets stiffed for frees in every game. If he gets one paid for him, they never pay the second, or third. When hands in the back, or interference, is binary, rather than being limited to how many you are allowed per game.

Been Happening for Years

No way Brown goes out in these conditions. Cox will be his usual self but maybe required to give Grundy a hand. Like to see them rotate more with Grundy spending some more time up forward. Thomas will be hungry for a spot and be handy in these conditions.

Drop Atu :tearsofjoy:

Atu was great in the wet - didn’t fumble and his pace was a breath of fresh air. I doubt he’ll be dropped and expect he’ll cause headaches for Geelongs lumbering defence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back