Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 8 vs. WCE - Optus Stadium, 3:35pm Sun 26/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
After tonight's 22-point win against Geelong, we're now 4-1-2 and our season is well and truly back on track. We should finish Round 7 within the Top 4, maintaining a healthy percentage of 144.6.

On the other hand, the West Coast Eagles are currently sitting on 3-3 ahead of their Derby against Fremantle. I would expect them to win this game and really look to launch their season, after what really has been a lacklustre start.

It's still unclear whether this game will be restricted to 50% capacity (~30,000) or whether the WA Government will allow full capacity. If full capacity is allowed, I think that's exactly what they will get. Given that no Victrorians will be able to travel, this will by far be the biggest anti-Collingwood crowd we've ever played in front of. A real test.

We're off a 10 day break as opposed to the Eagles' 7 day break. Although this probably won't be significant, we're sure to be fresh and finally out of mandatory hotel quarantine. The descrepency in breaks is slightly surprising however given that we've already taken on both the Saints and Hawthorn with much longer breaks than them.

Of course, our biggest challenge for this game is not the crowd. Our biggest challenge would have to be a toss up between Sidebottom's absence (usually either mops up against the Eagles or gets completely tagged out of it by Hutchings) and WCE's recruitment of Tim Kelly (averages 27 touches against Collingwood, his third favourite opponent).

LAST TIME(S) THEY MET

After the WCE defeated us at the MCG in Round 3, 2019 - despite a very strong win over Richmond the week prior - I think many of us dreaded a modern-day bogey side following the 2018 Grand Final result.

Fast forward to Round 17 at Optus Stadium and we defeated them in front of 56,000 fans in what turned out to be one of the best games of the season, despite our poor run of form at the time.

In this game we were down by 16 points at 3/4 time. In the last quarter, we kept the Eagles to just one point and kicked 2.6 to trickle over the line in a hectic, high-pressure finish, which was ultimately sealed by an instinctive JDG snap.

Brodie Grundy finished with 32 hit outs, 22 touches and 8 tackles going up against both Naitanui and Tom Hickey.

There were some high possession winners in this game. Adam Treloar had it 39 times. Sidebottom, who will obviously still be missing this time, helped himself to 33 touches. Andrew Gaff helped himself on the wing with 32. Pendlebury also had 32. Crisp had 30, Sheed and Redden both had it 27 times and Yeo finished with 26 disposals.

Goal scorers were Mihocek and Jarrod Cameron (whom started very hot) with 4, Darling with 3, Cox with 3, DeGoey, Yeo and Phillips with 2, Oscar Allen, Hickey and Luke Ryan with singles.

Those of us who remember this match up would recall Roughead keeping Kennedy goalless, and Maynard doing a colossal job in his shift to Darling after Moore unfortunately went off injured.

Howe was also missing in this encounter.

MATCH UPS

The WCE forward line is hard to pick match ups for given that they have occasionally named six forwards and another two other players on the bench whose best position are also forward. They may also throw Naitanui forward which could present us issues with the absence of Howe.

If Allen goes into the ruck, I would suspect it's only when Naitanui goes onto the pine for a rest. However, in the event that Naitanui goes forward, I think Moore should shift to him, with Maynard taking Darling.

Maynard is 5cm shorter than Allen and could instead be tried again on Darling. Darling and Maynard are similar height and as mentioned above, it was Maynard whom got moved onto Darling once Moore went off injured.

Roughead I suspect will line up on Kennedy, with Moore to take command if Kennedy gets the upper hand.

Maynard vs. Allen
Moore vs. Darling
Crisp vs. Redden
Roughead vs. Kennedy
Quaynor vs. Ah Chee
Scharenberg vs. Waterman
Varcoe vs. Ryan/Cameron

As for the forward line, our biggest concern is how we limit McGovern's intercept ability. We have seen Mihocek run with him in recent times, as well as Mayne giving him closer attention.

CHANGES

Unfortunately I think Atu played about as well as a lot of us expected him to perform last week against Hawthorn.

IN: Cox, Sier, Scharenberg
OUT: Atu, Wills, Noble

TIP

Collingwood by 19.

The million $ question, do we play Cox or is De GOEY our full forward?

If it’s dry you play Cox, DeGoey won’t be given that much freedom after tonight and Cox frees up the other forwards.

We should be beating West Coast, they’ve only beaten 17th and 18th last two weeks

Our forward line finally looks somewhat functioning and u want to bring in Cox again?????............. and against Eagles of all teams?...... I still have nightmares of McGovern/barrass intercepting 29 of the 30 inside 50s going to Cox.

In: Cameron, Scharenberg, Reid
Out: Noble, Mayne, Wills
Noble was stupendous. Don't recall a mistake from him all night.

Mayne had a couple of calamitous errors early but he did some sensational little things. There were plenty worse.

Noble was stupendous. Don't recall a mistake from him all night.

Mayne had a couple of calamitous errors early but he did some sensational little things. There were plenty worse.
Mike has Mayne out every week, so don’t think too much about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wills for Cameron, Bos for Shaz and swing Varcoe forward again. Need the extra tall defender for WCE and need a genuine backup ruckman to avoid the absolutely calamity we saw in the ruck tonight

Our forward line finally looks somewhat functioning and u want to bring in Cox again?????............. and against Eagles of all teams?...... I still have nightmares of McGovern/barrass intercepting 29 of the 30 inside 50s going to Cox.

How many times did the Geelong ruckman go up unopposed tonight? You want to let Nic Nat have a free run at the ball when Grundy is resting?

If the game was in Melbourne I would love a ten day break but over in WA in a form of isolation it’s a hell of a long time to be twiddling you’re thumbs.

We werent a better side with Noble ahead of Cox tonight. Our second ruck comedy capers nearly cost us the match, and our forward entries could have used a tall target. Noble was good but I dont think our team balance was right

Wills poor again and probably our only poor player in an excellent night.

In Cox Shaz
Out Wills Noble/Brown

Cameron in could also be considered but Cox is the better forward and thats what we need if he can find form.

We werent a better side with Noble ahead of Cox tonight. Our second ruck comedy capers nearly cost us the match, and our forward entries could have used a tall target. Noble was good but I dont think our team balance was right

Wills poor again and probably our only poor player in an excellent night.

In Cox Shaz
Out Wills Noble/Brown

You obviously forgot about Atu. Usual Wills crap dished up

There were 6 or 7 occasions tonight against Geelong which I felt we really needed Cox as the get out kick or the one to split a contest, ie the one where Brown just set it up to the hot spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back