List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Constable is slow but is very good by hand and foot. His issues so far are almost entirely related to fitness. He needs to be much, much fitter and is limited in that he can primarily only really play inside.

Not priddis or mitchell slow but close.

Inside mids don’t necessarily need to be quick of foot, they just need to move the ball quick .

Inside mids don’t necessarily need to be quick of foot, they just need to move the ball quick .

I agree just pointing out the positives and negatives. The worrying part is that he is nowhere near fit enough even with 4 years in the system. If he could get his fitness levels to an elite level there is a top tier mid in the making. Alas I think the league won't ever see it, some people just don't want it enough.

Constable is slow but is very good by hand and foot. His issues so far are almost entirely related to fitness. He needs to be much, much fitter and is limited in that he can primarily only really play inside.

Not priddis or mitchell slow but close.
How can you not improve your fitness after 4 or 5 preseasons and constant training and scrutiny?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

For our first selection, the general consensus regarding availability appears to be:
No chance - JHF, Daicos, Darcy, Callaghan
Unlikely - Andrew, Gibcus, Ward

The next bracket of players are:
Hobbs, Rachele, Amiss, Erasmus, Johnson, Wanganeen-Milera
Consequently, we can expect two of these players to be available at our selection.
I feel like we'd be a little unlucky to miss out on both Erasmus and Johnson, but it's certainly possible.
However, if they've both been snapped up, it's likely Rachele or Hobbs will slide to our selection. I'm personally not a huge fan of Hobbs, but he would certainly be good value at pick 12. In fact, Chris Doerre from ESPN (AKA Knightmare) has Hobbs falling to us. But I'm crossing my fingers he doesn't make it past Richmond who have been rumoured to be very interested.

Best case scenario for IMO would be something like:
1. JHF 2. Daicos 3. Darcy 4. Andrew 5. Callaghan 6. Gibcus 7. Ward 8. Amiss 9. Hobbs 10. Wanganeen-Milera 11. Rachele
Leaving us to choose between Erasmus or Johnson.

Worst case scenario would be something like:
1. JHF 2. Daicos 3. Darcy 4. Callaghan 5. Gibcus 6. Erasmus 7. Ward 8. Andrew 9. Hobbs 10. Johnson 11. Rachele
Leaving us with Amiss or Wanganeen-Milera. Neither would be terrible selections, and I'm actually a big fan of Wanganeen-Milera, but they still don't fit our most pressing needs.

I anticipate that this is when the next bracket of players could come into play:
Goater, Sonsie, Sinn, Draper, Knevitt, JVR

Ultimately, I actually think we're in a really terrific position for this pick. Our selection falls at the back end of the top bracket, meaning we'll likely be able to snap up one of Erasmus or Johnson, or perhaps a slider like Hobbs or Rachele. Worst case scenario, we get first choice out of the likes of Goater and Knevitt, which is hardly a bad result regardless.

Kind of funny how any tall forward that has a decent tank but isn't good enough/strong enough to play as one of the two main big forwards inevitably gets compared to Tom Lynch from Adelaide.

'Maybe he can play the Tom Lynch role for them?'

But how many clubs actually have a player like that? Not many. Maybe that's because there's not a Tom Lynch role, there was just Tom Lynch and really only for a couple of years when that made sense and Adelaide were good.

Cornes is a goose, but he is correct about Brander best being the third tall

That makes it if even more frustrating that if he could see it, and we could see it, why couldn't the club see it?

I’ll leave goose assessment to you but Cornes did say brander could be a FOURTH tall.

Is this some new terminology? Caleb Daniel can now be known as the 22nd tall.

For our first selection, the general consensus regarding availability appears to be:
No chance - JHF, Daicos, Darcy, Callaghan
Unlikely - Andrew, Gibcus, Ward

The next bracket of players are:
Hobbs, Rachele, Amiss, Erasmus, Johnson, Wanganeen-Milera
Consequently, we can expect two of these players to be available at our selection.
I feel like we'd be a little unlucky to miss out on both Erasmus and Johnson, but it's certainly possible.
However, if they've both been snapped up, it's likely Rachele or Hobbs will slide to our selection. I'm personally not a huge fan of Hobbs, but he would certainly be good value at pick 12. In fact, Chris Doerre from ESPN (AKA Knightmare) has Hobbs falling to us. But I'm crossing my fingers he doesn't make it past Richmond who have been rumoured to be very interested.

Best case scenario for IMO would be something like:
1. JHF 2. Daicos 3. Darcy 4. Andrew 5. Callaghan 6. Gibcus 7. Ward 8. Amiss 9. Hobbs 10. Wanganeen-Milera 11. Rachele
Leaving us to choose between Erasmus or Johnson.

Worst case scenario would be something like:
1. JHF 2. Daicos 3. Darcy 4. Callaghan 5. Gibcus 6. Erasmus 7. Ward 8. Andrew 9. Hobbs 10. Johnson 11. Rachele
Leaving us with Amiss or Wanganeen-Milera. Neither would be terrible selections, and I'm actually a big fan of Wanganeen-Milera, but they still don't fit our most pressing needs.

I anticipate that this is when the next bracket of players could come into play:
Goater, Sonsie, Sinn, Draper, Knevitt, JVR

Ultimately, I actually think we're in a really terrific position for this pick. Our selection falls at the back end of the top bracket, meaning we'll likely be able to snap up one of Erasmus or Johnson, or perhaps a slider like Hobbs or Rachele. Worst case scenario, we get first choice out of the likes of Goater and Knevitt, which is hardly a bad result regardless.
You need to look at our second pick - there are loads of good midfield options all the way through to pick 30ish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zac Bailey went two picks after Brander and had we picked him 2017 would have been an insane draft for us with Allen and Ryan picked.

If we traded back into the first round, and had taken a balanced or contested midfielder. The player I would want is Chesser, finally founds some high lights for him.

Sandy Dragon, I saw him play early this year and was impressed and then again in the Vic Country vs Metro game. But he missed a heap of this year through injury. But he would add the outside run and class we'd need.

Chesser looks real good. Got clean hands, took some good marks in this reel. Great speed, and he looked to have the talent to settle at pace and hit the short option was is pretty rare. Most blokes that have elite speed usually blaze or struggle to take the pace off the ball. Unlikely to be there at 29 unfortunately.

Zac Bailey went two picks after Brander and had we picked him 2017 would have been an insane draft for us with Allen and Ryan picked.
Yeah. Most people on here melted that we didn’t take Higgins with our first (including me) and considered Bailey more likely to fall around our second pick, but he ended up sitting right in the middle.

Interesting going back to the posts pre-draft he was considered to have serious question marks over his kicking. Doesn’t seem to be a problem for him now.

I agree just pointing out the positives and negatives. The worrying part is that he is nowhere near fit enough even with 4 years in the system. If he could get his fitness levels to an elite level there is a top tier mid in the making. Alas I think the league won't ever see it, some people just don't want it enough.
spot on 4 years a full time professional and not fit?? Either dead lazy or just not athletic enough

It hurts me to relive all of this again. Same thing is going to happen with Sheldrick on draft night.

Zac Bailey, his jib... I like the cut of it :thumbsupemoji:
Personally i'm not TOO fussed who we end up using on our first, as long as the other picks balance it out a bit. If we take Constable, then i don't want us getting Starcevich. If we take Clark or O'brien on the other hand, i'd feel better about it if we also picked up another big bodied grunt, like Starcevich with one of our other picks, preferably 37.

Bailey is my crush though fam. We could draft Zac Dawson and i'd still be happy if we also picked up Bailey with 26 :)

On the other hand if we take Foggarty instead of Bailey... :brokenheart:
Bring me Zac Bailey.

What ever happens with the pick 13 crab, if we add Bailey to this team afterwards i will be happy.
Haha your 2nd post absolutely contradicts your first. Worpel is one of the absolute worst kicks in this draft.

The fact you're comparing Bailey to Mcginnity due to his kicking and then literally your very next post is saying "Get Worpel" is hilarious.
I'd be stoked if the club was ballsy enough to reach for Bailey, just like i was last year with Venables.

Inside, outside, good in tight, elite evasiveness in traffic and acceleration from stoppages. His kicking is fine, the only knock on him is his height.

Don't rate Fogarty or Moore all that highly either to be honest, and something tells me Bailey won't last to last to 21.
Today is the day everyone kisses me on the penis, to show i was right all along these past 220 pages.
Dark Sharks - you still alive bro?
Brisbane pick 15: Zac Bailey.

Dark Sharks on suicide watch.
fu** you brisbane campaigners!!! !

Millhouse sad.gif

Watching the Brisbane vs Richmond game, Zac Bailey is such a little gem :brokenheart:
Good luck to the young Lions though. Zac Bailey is still bae :heart:

Last edited:

Sure, swapping out Brander and Ainsworth for 2 players who are good players would have made it a perfect draft - but I'm not sure if any team has really ever had a perfect draft.

Our 2017 draft was elite by any measure. 3 x B22 players from 5 picks (all picks inside 40) - 1 of those players is already an AA, Allen projects to get to that level, and petch is B22.

Chesser looks real good. Got clean hands, took some good marks in this reel. Great speed, and he looked to have the talent to settle at pace and hit the short option was is pretty rare. Most blokes that have elite speed usually blaze or struggle to take the pace off the ball. Unlikely to be there at 29 unfortunately.
If someone like him got into the 20s I'd be super keen to trade up.

It hurts me to relive all of this again. Same thing is going to happen with Sheldrick on draft night.

View attachment 1264712
You wanted Higgins with our first (like most of us) and Bailey with one of our second rounders. I went back through the threads this morning and there weren’t many suggestions that Bailey was likely to go as high as 13. Woulda been nice though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back