List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Hehe it's never as good or as bad as it seems 👀.

But in this case it's the Freo board phantom so odds were somewhat slim. I'm gonna try and trade up to 14 and 18 I think.

On a related note, we should do our own board phantom draft.

Thought I might throw a more unknown name in the draft pool we can pick up with one of our later picks, so hear me out. This was copy-pasted from ESPN.

Bodhi Uwland (Gold Coast - Academy)
Best position:
Inside midfield
Height, weight: 185cm, 84kg
Recruited from: Gold Coast
Projected draft range: 40+
Plays like: Luke Hodge
September ranking: 11
Rationale: One of the lesser-known prospects, Uwland is as aggressive and competitive as any in this draft. Uwland is not just a strong ball winner, but a powerful athlete who shrugs tackles at will and has a penetrating and damaging kick. His drop can be attributed to the rise of others.
Strengths:
Contested ball winning
Powerful shrugging of tackles
Aggression
Physical edge
Penetrating and damaging but reliable kick
Kicks placed out to the advantage side for teammates to lead onto
Decision making with ball in hand
Vision
Evasion
Agility
Acceleration
Leap
Versatility to impact games either through the midfield, defence or across half-forward
Proven performer against VFL competition
Weaknesses:
Endurance
Work rate
Reading of the drop of the ball

The only problem is he's part of Gold Coast's academy, but I'm not sure if they'll be willing to match bids on NGA players this year since the only pick they have that's worth points is Pick 3, which'll be long gone by the time a bid's made on him.

Not much footy thanks to COVID so they are relying on some older game footage to make assessments.

We should be looking at the kid at the 0:11 mark, has good swervability

Thought I might throw a more unknown name in the draft pool we can pick up with one of our later picks, so hear me out. This was copy-pasted from ESPN.

The only problem is he's part of Gold Coast's academy, but I'm not sure if they'll be willing to match bids on NGA players this year since the only pick they have that's worth points is Pick 3, which'll be long gone by the time a bid's made on him.
If he's going to be a late pick, they'll just flip one of next years second or third rounders as required to this year.

I wouldn’t have a problem with us seriously looking at Constable, let’s face it the chances of picking up someone better in the draft are pretty slim after our first pick.

IMO any our 1st three picks could land a better player. 1st MJ / Goater, pick 29 Butler, Howes or Conway and our 35 Conway, Motlop......

But as a DFA we will be using our last main list spot or rookie spot, so we wont need to forgo having a crack at the best kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not against Constable, has very decent VFL stats and couldn't get into a star studded Cats midfield, really unsure why they got rid of, although they want to rookie him.

Well worth a punt.

If he's going to be a late pick, they'll just flip one of next years second or third rounders as required to this year.

I think their issue is list spots.

With all the freebies the AFL allowed them to add to their list over the past 2 years - plus the significantly inflated list size - they have had a number of players they want to retain whilst not having enough spots (as their list size is coming back towards normal/equitable!).

Basically they are re-selecting 2 players in the ND, so their only live pick is #3.

How we missed out on the opportunity to be unable to match him inside the top 20 because he supposedly was more interested in cricket than footy at the time he was eligible for the academy?

Yeah, unbelievable.
I think we got a tad lucky with this! If he'd done his ACL and missed the whole season he would've slid out of the top 20 and be mid 20s and if he was our NGA we'd be able to match!

Surely the discussion earlier in the year is; "we know you're still deciding between footy and cricket but won't hurt just to register with our NGA now incase you decide to go down the footy path." No skin off this nose at the time, doesn't mean you can't still take up cricket later in the year.

He's not even in the draft, goes straight into GC academy. How cool is the name though?

50 year storm is coming.

IMO any our 1st three picks could land a better player. 1st MJ / Goater, pick 29 Butler, Howes or Conway and our 35 Conway, Motlop......

But as a DFA we will be using our last main list spot or rookie spot, so we wont need to forgo having a crack at the best kids.

It's always difficult because it's a lottery, all of those you mentioned could play 100 games and all of them could be duds. we will find out in a few years whoever we pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back