List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

The more I watch Houghs highlights The more I like. His long arms give me confidence he’ll fill out similar to Fyfe. But I really like that he played SWFL against men and then colts last year. There’s definitely something about playing against men especially at a pretty high level at a young age.
He is good pick up, you guys did very well in the draft even with the lower picks you had...

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tackling is a teachable skill - it's a matter of having the right teachers & the will to want to teach it.

Enter Schofield & Knights
I assume you saw Sheldrick and Dittmar take on SA. Having seen that, I love that tackling looks natural and instinctive.

Clark had developed well with his tackling and joins Yeo as a mid that will stack up well in contested possession. Let’s hope he was the missing piece.

Alternatively, Dittmar is still there!!!

I appreciate the fact that there has probably been a mindset change at WCE in this regard, reflected in the recent personnel additions. Nevertheless, I find myself wondering whether the whole 'tackling is a teachable skill' thing is a bit of a fallacy that we've fallen prone to.

It's obviously true to some degree, but it seems evident time and time again that the really good contested players are the ones with a genuine thirst for physicality, a certain rabidity, that goes beyond anything teachable. I guess I'm saying that being really effective at the brute contest stuff is not so much a teachable skill but a much more deeply ingrained disposition. Almost akin to a character trait.

No question that aspect of a player's game can be improved. But I feel like players either have that hot-bloodedness or they don't, and rarely do you see a player drafted shift from one category to the other. It seems as though WCE constantly select players who are lacking in that regard, on the assumption that a base of skill, endurance, and flexibility is more important; the brute stuff can be taught. But it never actually eventuates.

In that respect, I guess a lot of how I feel about this draft hinges on where Chesser and Hough fit into that schema. Does their contested ability come second to their speed, size, and versatility? Or are they seen as having genuine innate ball-winning skillsets?

Excuse my pessimism, just wondering what your thoughts are on that.

Agreed - Petracca isn't & will never be Viney

I had a look at the club’s website and the club are describing both Chesser and Hough as pure midfielders. SPS is Utility but the Pieman has the troops all believing our first 2 picks are pure mids.

I will be delighted if that is true, I have not see CC play but my views of Hough are as a high half forward who can do a turn in the midfield. Both prospects have skills I see that could translate to being mids (as did Le Cras).

It will be interesting to see what positional sorts are invited to train on.

I appreciate the fact that there has probably been a mindset change at WCE in this regard, reflected in the recent personnel additions. Nevertheless, I find myself wondering whether the whole 'tackling is a teachable skill' thing is a bit of a fallacy that we've fallen prone to.

It's obviously true to some degree, but it seems evident time and time again that the really good contested players are the ones with a genuine thirst for physicality, a certain rabidity, that goes beyond anything teachable. I guess I'm saying that being really effective at the brute contest stuff is not so much a teachable skill but a much more deeply ingrained disposition. Almost akin to a character trait.

No question that aspect of a player's game can be improved. But I feel like players either have that hot-bloodedness or they don't, and rarely do you see a player drafted shift from one category to the other. It seems as though WCE constantly select players who are lacking in that regard, on the assumption that a base of skill, endurance, and flexibility is more important; the brute stuff can be taught. But it never actually eventuates.

In that respect, I guess a lot of how I feel about this draft hinges on where Chesser and Hough fit into that schema. Does their contested ability come second to their speed, size, and versatility? Or are they seen as having genuine innate ball-winning skillsets?

Excuse my pessimism, just wondering what your thoughts are on that.

Good post :thumbsu:

Agreed - Petracca isn't & will never be Viney

Okay, point taken. But a team needs a certain amount of Viney-ness in it. I'm not suggesting that brute physicality is the pre-eminent quality to look for in draftees. I'm suggesting that when it's needed, maybe it actually needs to be drafted for, just like speed and skill.

The constant overlooking of particular types of players suggests to me a belief within the club that ball-winning is a game that can be out-smarted.

Surely you can see that there was more to my post than your reply would indicate. And I am optimistic about Chesser and Hough in that regard - what's your view on that part of the post?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Schofield has been employed & trust me it's not for his good looks

Are his good looks at least a part of the reason though? ;)

We tackled just fine in the grand final.

Yep, an that is the elephant in the room.

IMO its about 4 or 5 things that have contributed to our defensive demise:

1. Forward 50 pressure - nowhere near 2018 (Willie and playing smaller forwards would help)
  2. Lack midfield leg speed to close down opposition attacks
  3. Because we lack leg speed we corral more often than committing to tackle.
  4. Teams have worked that out our weakness and and our strengths and exploit them, no more bombing long to Gov and Barrass.
  5. We are far to predictable defending and bringing the ball out of defense.
  6. Player availability a factor but all teams lose players
  7. Standing the mark rule

Once one or two defensive dominos fall the rest tumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back