List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

He's definitely AFL quality, he was top 40 talent in that draft.
Has real impact on games, just because of his power in stoppages. But also reliable kick in open play (rather than congestion) and can kick a goal, but for someone who missed a lot of footy in previous years his output this year was exceptional so likely on that linear growth.

Plays like a Yeo, and Yeo almost won our big footy best player in 2021 off half a year showing how much we as fans value someone like Yeo's contribution in tight. Not saying he'll turn out like Yeo, but even if he's half as good we'll get a good player.

If he stays fit, he should be the winning candidate.
i can see us not taking him cause they rate the young mids we have in Trew, Xon and Edwards.

Im with you in the sense he has star qualities and it’s worth the free hit in SPP selection.

I am thrilled with both these two SSP Invites.

download.jpg & images.jpg

The Inside BULL.

download-1.jpg download-2.jpg images-2.jpg

And the ruck Dual to be continued.

images-1.jpg gettyimages-1157535625-594x594.jpg

I like the way the Club is thinking.

I always thought that The Purples were impatient with Strnadica and cut him adrift too soon, IMO its always a harsh call cutting a player, while they are still growing in height.

I have been impressed with Strnadicia's development in the WAFL these past two seasons and I think he still has several level of development within him.

View attachment 1293183 & View attachment 1293184

The Inside BULL.

View attachment 1293197 View attachment 1293189 View attachment 1293192

View attachment 1293200 View attachment 1293201

I always thought that The Purples were impatient with Strnadica and cut him adrift too soon, IMO its always a harsh call cutting a player, while they are still growing in height.

I have been impressed with Strnadicia's development in the WAFL these past two seasons and I think he still has several level of development within him.
When have we ever taken a rookie mid or ruckman they ever amounted to anything?
School is out isnt it?

When have we ever taken a rookie mid or ruckman they ever amounted to anything?
School is out isnt it?

You just love coming on here and embarrassing yourself with your lack of football knowledge.

Rookie Ruckman - this bloke says hi.

290 games 169 goals.
AA: 05,06,07,08,11,12.
Premiership Player 2006.
WC F & B 2008
1 x Ross Glendinning Medal.

download.jpg

Rookie Mid - this guy says hi.

240 games 73 goals.
AA:15.
Bronwlow Medalist 2014
WC F & B 2013
2 x Ross Glendinning Medals.

download-1.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget fatass McGovern gaiz

:whitecheck: 4 x AA
:whitecheck: Fat
:whitecheck: Grand final hero
:whitecheck: Highest paid player at the club
:whitecheck: Rookie draft pickup

Kane Lucas arguably had an even bigger impact, bit didn't get a flag.

Don't forget fatass McGovern gaiz

:whitecheck: 4 x AA
:whitecheck: Fat
:whitecheck: Grand final hero
:whitecheck: Highest paid player at the club
:whitecheck: Rookie draft pickup

Kane Lucas arguably had an even bigger impact, bit didn't get a flag.

2006 West Coast Premiership Players that came off our rookie list.

Steve Armstrong.
Dean Cox.
Chad Fletcher.
Brett Jones.
Quinton Lynch.

The punt on Dittmar on a rookie list makes way more sense that Collins, Gorter and Burrows but watch us overlook him cause we see West, XON, Clarke, Edwards and Trew as enough midfield depth. Dittmar is the type you go absoluetly take the punt on as the tools of the most desirable inside mids in the comp atm. I'm more excited about Ditttmar than Trew, Xon and Edwards really

You seem pretty well-connected (eg, I know you've previously been on speaking terms from some Brisbane people). Any word from people in AFL/recruiting circles about our picks that has helped assuage you disappointment? Asking because I feel in need or reassurance myself, I guess.

Sorry, I missed this one earlier.

Actually had a catch-up on the morning of the rookie draft. Its purpose was primarily to get numbers for scraping together a couple of groups for the Alpine Classic in January (not really keen on spending 9-10 hours on a bike for 250km with over 5000m of climbing involved to be honest), but obviously with the timing some football banter was had as well.

Didn't stay too long as I had to keep up the illusion to my employer that I was actually working remotely, but some points that may be of interest are the following:
  • If Chesser were available at 16, Brisbane would have taken him.
  • Brisbane tried to trade up their pick 20 for Sydney's 18 in order to get ahead of Melbourne as they wanted Van Rooyen, but Swans were not convinced that Melbourne would leave Sheldrick if he were available. Appeared to be some salt at the Swans that it may have been pre-agreed but not honoured on the night.
  • Lions see Chesser as a ready-made draftee that could take a first-team place off half-back in his first year before taking on greater midfield responsibilities after that.
  • Brisbane tried to upgrade their pick 41 for one of Richmond's 28, 29, 30 specifically to get ahead of West Coast at 31, who they (correctly) expected would be after Hough, a player they had flagged. Tigers demanded a future first round pick, so the deal never happened. Lions see potential for Hough to become a Stringer / DeGoey type.
  • The consensus was that West Coast absolutely smoked the draft this year.

Expectation is that season 2022 will see improvement from both Richmond and West Coast after having a full offseason in adapting their defences to counter the change to the on the mark rule. Also expected that 2022 will be a very even and cut-throat season, with few clubs on the wane, but many on the rise.

I got the impression that West Coast (and similarly with Richmond) are seen as a dark horse - not considered in the contending group, but nobody wants to be up against them if they have a full list and rediscover their mojo.

More specifically, some early calls for 2022 were the following:
  • Melbourne was unanimously picked to finish the season on top of the ladder.
  • Bontempelli was favourite for the Brownlow, followed closely by Walsh.
  • Daicos a clear favourite for the Rising Star.
  • Carlton to be the surprise of the season and finish inside the top 8.

Sorry, I missed this one earlier.

Actually had a catch-up on the morning of the rookie draft. Its purpose was primarily to get numbers for scraping together a couple of groups for the Alpine Classic in January (not really keen on spending 9-10 hours on a bike for 250km with over 5000m of climbing involved to be honest), but obviously with the timing some football banter was had as well.

Didn't stay too long as I had to keep up the illusion to my employer that I was actually working remotely, but some points that may be of interest are the following:
  • If Chesser were available at 16, Brisbane would have taken him.
  • Brisbane tried to trade up their pick 20 for Sydney's 18 in order to get ahead of Melbourne as they wanted Van Rooyen, but Swans were not convinced that Melbourne would leave Sheldrick if he were available. Appeared to be some salt at the Swans that it may have been pre-agreed but not honoured on the night.
  • Lions see Chesser as a ready-made draftee that could take a first-team place off half-back in his first year before taking on greater midfield responsibilities after that.
  • Brisbane tried to upgrade their pick 41 for one of Richmond's 28, 29, 30 specifically to get ahead of West Coast at 31, who they (correctly) expected would be after Hough, a player they had flagged. Tigers demanded a future first round pick, so the deal never happened. Lions see potential for Hough to become a Stringer / DeGoey type.
  • The consensus was that West Coast absolutely smoked the draft this year.

Expectation is that season 2022 will see improvement from both Richmond and West Coast after having a full offseason in adapting their defences to counter the change to the on the mark rule. Also expected that 2022 will be a very even and cut-throat season, with few clubs on the wane, but many on the rise.

I got the impression that West Coast (and similarly with Richmond) are seen as a dark horse - not considered in the contending group, but nobody wants to be up against them if they have a full list and rediscover their mojo.

More specifically, some early calls for 2022 were the following:
  • Melbourne was unanimously picked to finish the season on top of the ladder.
  • Bontempelli was favourite for the Brownlow, followed closely by Walsh.
  • Daicos a clear favourite for the Rising Star.
  • Carlton to be the surprise of the season and finish inside the top 8.
hmmm the Brisbane insights suit our narrative - like all of them a lot!!
Chesser will be a dream for us - hopefully a Matera/Embley clone - Hough looks a Heady type+
let the develop...

early calls...
-the premiers will finish on top next year while playing 14 or more games in Melbourne! -meh well done indeed
-picking a Brownlow medalist from a group of the best players in the league - meh great effort
-Rising Star - the consensus greatest player in the draft coupled with a lovely spot opening up in the starting squad - meh
-is it a surprise for Carlton to be in the 8? - meh

Van.....illa

Last edited:
hmmm the Brisbane insights suit our narrative - like all of them a lot!!
Chesser will be a dream for us - hopefully a Matera/Embley clone - Hough looks a Heady type+
let the develop...

early calls...
-the premiers will finish on top next year while playing 14 or more games in Melbourne! -meh well done indeed
-picking a Brownlow medalist from a group of the best players in the league - meh great effort
-Rising Star - the consensus greatest player in the draft coupled with a lovely spot opening up in the starting squad - meh
-is it a surprise for Carlton to be in the 8? - meh

Van.....illa
You won't win many races backing the horse with the longest odds after all.

View attachment 1293183 & View attachment 1293184

The Inside BULL.

View attachment 1293197 View attachment 1293189 View attachment 1293192

View attachment 1293200 View attachment 1293201

Monocle stepping up the production value of his posts with some nice pics and formatting.

Have you got your grandkids formatting your posts to try to get you over the line for POTY?

You just love coming on here and embarrassing yourself with your lack of football knowledge.

Rookie Ruckman - this bloke says hi.

290 games 169 goals.
AA: 05,06,07,08,11,12.
Premiership Player 2006.
WC F & B 2008
1 x Ross Glendinning Medal.

View attachment 1293214

Rookie Mid - this guy says hi.

240 games 73 goals.
AA:15.
Bronwlow Medalist 2014
WC F & B 2013
2 x Ross Glendinning Medals.

View attachment 1293216
Ziad just got schooled...

Last year you snared Trew, now Dittmar. Stop pinching my favourite smokeys. Swans recruiting team put a ton of work into Dittmar, good chance he'd be on our list if we'd picked different players early. Well played.
I don't know anything about Strnadica, he'll probably end up a Swans ruckman or coach.;)
This kind of post from a supporter of the team that pinched Sheldrick is a brave move when Dark Sharks is prowling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back