David Koch - The Chairman of the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Occasionally checking the park football scores to see Glenelg do Glenelg things today and I can't help but think that they're putting in a very Port under Koch performance.
More like we put a very Glenelg effort under Ken. That is who we are now.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Occasionally checking the park football scores to see Glenelg do Glenelg things today and I can't help but think that they're putting in a very Port under Koch performance.

More like we put a very Glenelg effort under Ken. That is who we are now.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Yeah we have been like Glenelg.

Three sanfl grand finals with three slow starts that definitely cost us in two of those games and you could argue even cost us the 2019 gf. Sound familiar?
Had we had an ounce of real Port Adelaide approach to that 2019 gf we may have converted Glenelg into the Glenelg that we know, the Glenelg that played yesterday, albeit being an afl reserves side with youngsters and crippling sanfl rules.

I have wondered, when KT stepped into the club, he talked about wanting Port Adelaide to be a "humble club", something that had Primus repeat it and Hinkley repeat it when he first stepped into the club as well. Can humble mean approaching big finals matches like nice guys?

I've wondered if the club is a reflection of KT's passiveness and his interpretation of who Port Adelaide has been, and that Koch and Hinkley are products of it. Words like 'humble' and 'underdog' shouldn't be part of Port's mentality. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be anybody at the club capable of changing the club's mentality to an aggressive type.

Last edited:

Three sanfl grand finals with three slow starts that definitely cost us in two of those games and you could argue even cost us the 2019 gf. Sound familiar?
Had we had an ounce of real Port Adelaide approach to that 2019 gf we may have converted Glenelg into the Glenelg that we know, the Glenelg that played yesterday, albeit being an afl reserves side with youngsters and crippling sanfl rules.

I have wondered, when KT stepped into the club, he talked about wanting Port Adelaide to be a "humble club", something that had Primus repeat it and Hinkley repeat it when he first stepped into the club as well. Can humble mean approaching big finals matches like nice guys?

I've wondered if the club is a reflection of KT's passiveness and his interpretation of who Port Adelaide has been, and that Koch and Hinkley are products of it. Words like 'humble' and 'underdog' shouldn't be part of Port's mentality. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be anybody at the club capable of changing the club's mentality to an aggressive type.
The flip is Choco carrying on like a cocky over confident twat in the lead up to the 2007 GF which probably is partly why we've swung too far into nice humble vanilla land.

Agreed, a form of arrogant campaignerism worked extremely well for the club for decades and no doubt was a huge part of the success that elevated us into the national comp.

We don't do `humble' well at all, to me it's akin to watering down a 12 year old malt whiskey with tap water, but I have always thought it was Koch who was the first to use that word.

Regardless of who actually did say it though they created an excuse for mediocrity, and a close enough is good enough mentality.

The old PAFC that many on here grew up idolising is gone, and I suspect that unfortunately it is probably gone forever!

The flip is Choco carrying on like a cocky over confident twat in the lead up to the 2007 GF which probably is partly why we've swung too far into nice humble vanilla land.
I’m no fan of how Choco didn’t park the bus in that game and his subsequent trip down the skinny runners are the future rabbit hole, but against a side clearly better, with a history of choking (oh Alannis) trying to get in their heads was the right approach.

We need to be:

- humble enough to believe that the opposition can beat us if we let them; and
- arrogant enough to believe we can beat them if we give our best.

No one should deserve the flag more than we do.

Last edited:
I’m no fan of how Choco didn’t park the bus in that game and his subsequent trip down the skinny runners are the future rabbit hole, but against a side clearly better, with a history of choking (oh Alannis) trying to get in their heads was the right approach.

It was the loser approach. Choco thought he could do that because he believed Malthouse did it to our team but where was Malthouse when we repeated the finals flop the year after against Sydney? Where was Malthouse the year before when we wobbled against Hawthorn? Truth is that Malthouse didn't cause the damage, rather Choco and our club had the issue. Against Geelong Choco had no belief we were a chance. Seems that Choco had the issue again. Our players spent 100% of their time with Choco during the week shaping them for the final, they spent zero time with Malthouse.

Cahill never bought into midweek talk and mind games. When asked about the banter he would state that he doesnt involve himself with that and just say that the game is on Saturday and we'll be prepared. Cahill was magnificent in shaping the mindset of his team and not trying to do that to the opposition. He only had access to his own players.

Agreed, a form of arrogant campaignerism worked extremely well for the club for decades and no doubt was a huge part of the success that elevated us into the national comp.

We don't do `humble' well at all, to me it's akin to watering down a 12 year old malt whiskey with tap water, but I have always thought it was Koch who was the first to use that word.

Regardless of who actually did say it though they created an excuse for mediocrity, and a close enough is good enough mentality.

The old PAFC that many on here grew up idolising is gone, and I suspect that unfortunately it is probably gone forever!

KT stated it in one of the earliest interviews he made on a Thursday night. Koch had yet to arrive. Duncanson used it during KTs first year. So I point towards KT.

KT spoke about his interpretation of the Port Adelaide swagger and arrogance yet in the same conversation said he wanted to have midweek banter with the crows in a showing of arrogance. He organised for Duncanson and himself to sit amongst the crows cheersquad for a quarter which they did and the crows equivalent men to do the same but I think they didn’t. He spoke about Port winning when 'he' didn't expect them to and linked that to the underdog status.

KT did some good work but his interpretation of Port Adelaide was from that as an opposition player. Our arrogance was on the field and we believed we were the benchmark of the competition, not the underdog.

We need to be humble enough to believe that the opposition can beat us if we let them and arrogant enough to believe we can beat them if we give our best.

No one should deserve the flag more than we do.

Respect every one. Fear no one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey! we have a club brownlow to go with the 2020 McClelland
The Brownlow is an individual award. So we have a player who won a Brownlow and a coach voted AFL Coach of the Year by his peers twice despite never even making a Grand Final. Surely this indicates that we are definitely on the cusp of greatness.

John Cahill used “humble” and other words to describe Wines in a positive sense after he won the Brownlow.
There's a world of difference between being humble about your on-field achievements off the field and being humble on and off-field and not getting any on-field achievements.

The best thing Koch ever did was the time he criticized the players & Boak 'n Co got the sooks, the mistake was apologizing and the extra layer of vanilla ever since.
Different sport, but I contrast this with the Boston Celtics. In early Jan they were having a s**t season - something like a 23-24 record. Dropping decent leads, etc. Their coach Ime Udoka publicly called out their lack of mental toughness, and something changed. They've only lost about 4 games since, and look a legitimate chance to win a championship. The coach made no apologies for calling his players out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back