D3 Division 3 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

on a serious note, who's got the best canteen out of the div 3 sides?

trying to find hot chips at the div 4 canteens last year nearly made me go postal

Great question

Of the teams who didn't go up, you may have to find a local chip shop

Powerhouse - No
Canterbury - No, but do fire up the BBQ and sell a mean hamburger
La Trobe - No
Swinburne - Don't know
Centrals - Not sure

The deep frier seems to have gone the way of the dodo, councils not too keen for untrained volunteers to burn the place down it seems.

Great question

Powerhouse - No
La Trobe - No
Swinburne - Don't know
Centrals - Not sure

The deep frier seems to have gone the way of the dodo, councils not too keen for untrained volunteers to burn the place down it seems.
Powerhouse worst canteen in the VAFA by a long way.

Great question

Powerhouse - No
La Trobe - No
Swinburne - Don't know
Centrals - Not sure

Thanks GY.

Great question

Powerhouse - No
La Trobe - No
Swinburne - Don't know
Centrals - Not sure

Can confirm RC have chips - and dimmies too (drool)... Early clubhouse leader for best canteen

New to Melbourne this year and considering pulling on the boots. I played half a season last year. Looking for a team suggestion for a side because I don’t know what they’re like and from my limited experience, a good culture is wroth travelling an extra 5 mins for but you can’t really tell that via Facebook.

My footballing talent is shockingly underwhelming unless bouncing the ball on the run and I’ll likely be the smallest on a side. But I suppose I have some degree of pace, particularly for ressies. It is likey I’ll pull off two remarkable things in a season and being spectacularly underwhelming, albeit enthusiastic, for the rest.

Something competitive but not too competitive would be ideal with some understanding if work means I miss a game or two. Any suggestions for a side, league or level? If anyone knows of sides with a severe player shortage in the area below, I’m more than willing to play for them, too.

I live in the vicinity of Hawthorn if that helps.

New to Melbourne this year and considering pulling on the boots. I played half a season last year. Looking for a team suggestion for a side because I don’t know what they’re like and from my limited experience, a good culture is wroth travelling an extra 5 mins for but you can’t really tell that via Facebook.

My footballing talent is shockingly underwhelming unless bouncing the ball on the run and I’ll likely be the smallest on a side. But I suppose I have some degree of pace, particularly for ressies. It is likey I’ll pull off two remarkable things in a season and being spectacularly underwhelming, albeit enthusiastic, for the rest.

Something competitive but not too competitive would be ideal with some understanding if work means I miss a game or two. Any suggestions for a side, league or level? If anyone knows of sides with a severe player shortage in the area below, I’m more than willing to play for them, too.

Box Hill North FC (15-20mins from Hawthorn) would be a good option for you.

We have great facilities, a thirds team and a top notch canteen (with chips).

Best thing you can do is head down a couple of training sessions at a few clubs - you should get a good feel for where the club is at and how welcoming they are. FWIW, I'd recommend either Richmond or Hawthorn. Both are nearby, have good culture, 3x mens teams and are welcoming to new/inexperienced players.

Best thing you can do is head down a couple of training sessions at a few clubs - you should get a good feel for where the club is at and how welcoming they are. FWIW, I'd recommend either Richmond or Hawthorn. Both are nearby, have good culture, 3x mens teams and are welcoming to new/inexperienced players.

I'd second this.

Both clubs having 3 mens teams will allow you to get an idea of where you might fit in from a form/ability perspective while you find your feet in Melbourne.

Box Hill North FC (15-20mins from Hawthorn) would be a good option for you.

We have great facilities, a thirds team and a top notch canteen (with chips).
Cheers for the suggestion. Canteen is a plus.

I'd second this.

Both clubs having 3 mens teams will allow you to get an idea of where you might fit in from a form/ability perspective while you find your feet in Melbourne.
I'll look at them both.

This will probably sound dumb but do any teams in the lower VAFA divisions pay to play? It's not a motivator for me but could be something that I weigh into a decision because in this day and age, every little bit helps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would probably suggest playing for the love of the game lol.

You might get paid if you also run the boundary or canteen.
I did that all last season. I have no issues doing the jobs some hate.

I would probably suggest playing for the love of the game lol.
Of course, that's my primary motivator. I don't expect to get paid but if it works out to be just enough to cover rego, then that's an added bonus.
Victorian Amateur Football Association

Play for the love of the game and possibly non-monetary perks.

Hot chips from the canteen and a can or two after the game.
Hot chips and a can is honestly more than I've had elsewhere so wouldn't complain about that at all.

Last edited:

Of course, that's my primary motivator. I don't expect to get paid but if it works out to be just enough to cover rego, then that's an added bonus.

Hot chips and a can is honestly more than I've had elsewhere so wouldn't complain about that at all.

Canterbury also another option close by and also have a thirds team

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

50+ years of involvement, as a player, then into the army, came back and played some more. Ten years later, field and goal umpire for the magoos, then ran the boundary for the ones, mostly at away games.

I’m now 77, and during the past 10 years have been a goal umpire for both the U19/2s and senior 3rds – Eat your heart out Pazza!

Team manager for all teams at different times – prepared to play where picked.

I buy my beer and don’t expect handouts from the canteen. I’m part of a great club.

I still have my hand up. That’s Amateur football!

I see the VAFA has taken all of the investigation details off its website and replaced it with carry over penalties from 2023.

Anyone have any idea what the result of the Elsternwick-Hawthorn investigation was or has it been put in the 'can't give a damn about it anymore' folder and left incomplete?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back