Roast Gerard Whateley’s Rant on AFL360 (22/08/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

I will say it's hard to analyse a team are inconsistent as us.

An easier take is just a massive psychological issue at the club, but from looking at the list we have I can understand where Whately is coming from.

Bad luck. It's his job to analyse football teams. If it's hard for him to gauge where we're at then he shouldn't be a condescending prick to the people that pay to support the club and watch if every week and know exactly where we're at.

Counter argument: This is the warped assessment of a sycophant who is obsessed to the point of fetishism with the Geelong teams of 2007-11, and has unshakeable belief in the aura of infallibility their legacy casts over anyone who was a part of those teams, be they player, coach, or Frank Costa's wet nurse. Can't be Ken's fault because Ken was at Ghellhong.

Even if Whateley was right about this, which he is not, that's not Hinkley's Geelong. Hinkley's Geelong is the side who could get it done even with one of the greatest ever players in Gary Ablett (incidentally, a player whose talents Whateley, along with much of the footballing public, believes supersede in some way the fact that he murdered a teenager).

Well you have to admit it’s a well-crafted little narrative that has absolutely nothing to do with PEDs.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, because this forum was massively in support of offloading Polec and Wingard.

Lolwot signor?

The trading of Chad Wingard will go down in this board’s folklore as possibly its most divisive issue ever. I for one in no way supported it and there were plenty of others who didn’t either (despite the Club’s best efforts to portpaganda their way through the mess).

Most people understood the Club not matching Polec’s offer from North but also wanted to keep him for the right price.

I'm generally a fan of Whateley but his love of Hinkley blinds him in this instance.

The notion that Hinkley deserves the right to rebuild this team is the key failing in his argument. Hinkley failed with his first team, he has no right whatsoever to see through a rebuild of a second team.

Here's a little personal story from Grand Final Day 2004.

Port had a breakfast function in the Melbourne CBD that morning and I went there and tried to get in but it was booked out so no luck.

I then retreated to a nearby cafe to eat something and kill some time reading the morning newspapers before heading to the MCG.

Of course most pundits were going for Brisbane but it was Ron Barassi's comments that caught my attention.

He said he hoped Brisbane would win because he was afraid that if Port won, they would start dominating the competition like they did in the SANFL.

Now, looking back, one might say his fears were unfounded but the sentiment says something about what Port stood for in its early AFL years.

It stood for setting standards, aiming high and being single-minded about the pursuit of success.

Would Ron Barassi see that in Port today? Would any of us?

This is what really irks me about those who want to tell us it's not like the old days in the SANFL anymore, because we don't even have to go back that far to see what Port was about - it was there for all to see in our early AFL years.

In our first 11 years in the AFL, we won more games than any other team and finished top of the ladder in the minor round three times and top four two other times.

Those are the standards we should be striving for. It's one thing for the stupid and/or duplicitous media types to ignore this and demand that we embrace and accept mediocrity, but this should never be acceptable to the custodians of the club.

Now, I'm sure the current custodians of the club would say they're just as single-minded about winning as their predecessors but the results speak for themselves. They have clearly failed and it's time for them all to step aside and let a new generation of custodians try to regain what has been lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Counter argument: This is the warped assessment of a sycophant who is obsessed to the point of fetishism with the Geelong teams of 2007-11, and has unshakeable belief in the aura of infallibility their legacy casts over anyone who was a part of those teams, be they player, coach, or Frank Costa's wet nurse. Can't be Ken's fault because Ken was at Ghellhong.

Even if Whateley was right about this, which he is not, that's not Hinkley's Geelong. Hinkley's Geelong is the side who couldn't get it done even with one of the greatest ever players in Gary Ablett (incidentally, a player whose talents Whateley, along with much of the footballing public, believes supersede in some way the fact that he murdered a teenager).

Oh man, this is good.

No surprise to see Gerard lecturing the peasants (As he’d no doubt think of them) on how to act.

Devil's advocate here but this is a fair, neutral assessment for someone who has no emotional attachment to Port Adelaide whatsoever and has not had to go through the s**t we have.

I watch Port a fair bit, Hinkley has pissed away a very good team imo. How he has wasted Robbie Grays career is a disgrace.

This whole pervasive narrative about us not being what we were in the SANFL is ****ing sickening and has to be being driven by the club.

You are what you set your ****ing mind to. Understand the setbacks but do not accept them.

This club does nothing but accept disappointment and in fact asks for it. Every time we reach a critical decision point we disappoint everyone with a regularity so ingrained that it has to be culturally acceptable.

If this isn't the club I knew, so be it. They can get ****ed and I'll watch another sport.

“I think, the people around Port Adelaide, and I’ll separate them from the club themselves, the people around Port Adelaide need to calm the farm a bit.

You can wish and hope and think and pray that you should be making finals, and then you can coldly assess what’s happened against what the planning was and you can go, ‘this is exactly where we should be. we are on a path, we are a fair way down the path’.

You want to see where the path leads? Sit tight. Stop the agitation. Stop the unrest. Stop this ridiculous idea that you’re this old SANFL club that should rule the world. That’s not you. That’s not you in the AFL. You scratch and you claw for everything that you’re worth. And you put a plan in place and you follow that plan through.

The plan is, go to the draft, get a critical mass of young players, integrate them, have a good season — this is a good season, this is a clear pass, a clear pass what they have done — it improves next year on a natural trajectory.

And then you make your judgements. You’ve got a coach who’s got a trigger in his contract next year, so if they don’t make the finals and you think they should, then we say ‘thanks, I don’t think that path is going to lead us to where we’re going’.

There are clubs who have walked this path, they’ve got to the crossroads, and they’ve gone ‘do you know what? we actually believe in what we’re doing here. on we go’. And those clubs have profited enormously from it.”

View attachment 731952

FB_IMG_1566102158871.jpg

This isn’t the SANFL where you can expect to make the finals TWICE IN FIVE YEARS SCREW YA HEADS ON!

This is exactly where we should be.

P¡ssing away a finals berth by getting smoked to the tune of 86pts by 15th-placed North Melbourne, with the 7th-oldest team of the round, and over $1,000,000 worth of salary cap in Motlop and Lycett languishing in the reserves.

Stop the agitation. Stop the unrest.

So if the worse case scenario happens and Ken coac hes next year will Gerard apologise to us port fans when we are sitting comfortably outside the 8?

This is exactly where we should be.

P¡ssing away a finals berth by getting smoked to the tune of 86pts by 15th-placed North Melbourne, with the 7th-oldest team of the round, and over $1,000,000 worth of salary cap in Motlop and Lycett languishing in the reserves.

Stop the agitation. Stop the unrest.

Meanwhile over at West Lakes they want Pyke on a spike only two years after they finished top and made a Granny.

But calm down Ports peeps Jeeze!

I agree with Whately, we finished around where I thought we would.

However, you base that off previous form under Hinkley and going to the draft for players. Hinkley has categorically failed in the 4 years previous to this year. In exam terms You don’t get 4 F’s and a C- and then get to keep your job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back