Roast Gerard Whateley’s Rant on AFL360 (22/08/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't agree with his opinion, I can just see where he is coming from. This site has a victim mentality problem with journalists.

9th to 12th was a very popular prediction for us pre-season.
Yep, but why was that prediction made?

On this board it was made because we had a dud coach and we knew exactly what would happen.

Externally it was made because we've been average for years, but nobody knows or cares why.

The youth argument only cropped up mid season because we got lucky with our 1st round picks and that's all anyone knows about Port in 2019. We generally put out an older than average side.

Whately is either sticking up for his mate Ken or he's a terrible analyst who shouldn't be such a disrespectful f***head about a situation he knows nothing about.

The rebuild part is correct, but there is no ******* way Hinkley is the proven guy for the job, he has made a great case for the opposite

Sydney
Hawks
Geelong
Collingwood
West Coast

They are able to back up finals performances and results, if they can we can.

If my club is willing to accept mediocrity I’m out!

Yep, but why was that prediction made?

On this board it was made because we had a dud coach and we knew exactly what would happen.

Externally it was made because we've been average for years, but nobody knows or cares why.

The youth argument only cropped up mid season because we got lucky with our 1st round picks and that's all anyone knows about Port in 2019. We generally put out an older than average side.

Whately is either sticking up for his mate Ken or he's a terrible analyst who shouldn't be such a disrespectful f***head about a situation he knows nothing about.

Based on the fact we had gone hard on youth, with a large group of players who were or are still emerging as well as relying on a core of older players that could have declined more than they have, like Boak.

Devil's advocate here but this is a fair, neutral assessment for someone who has no emotional attachment to Port Adelaide whatsoever and has not had to go through the s**t we have.

Not it's not. Not in the slightest.

Everything he said was rubbish.

No facts, just all built around somehow magically after 5 years of showing no real improvement on any scale Hinkley has suddenly found the golden path to some level of success despite there being totally no evidence to support that any way you look at it.

"it improves next year on a natural trajectory." is the quote that proves how much he has taken any AFL supporter as a moron. There has never ever been and never ever will be a 'natural trajectory' in AFL, or any sport really. Teams get better, some get worse, some stay the same, but there's no 'natural trajectory' about it in any sense.

It was the most condescending journalism - if we must call it something - from somebody that should know a hell of a lot better given his position and standing in the game.

Support a mate/friend? Fine, good by me. But don't tell me to sit back and watch my football club crumbling before my eyes just because your mate is a big part of the reason for that happening, and don't say stuff that is not true trying to justify your obvious attachment to the problem.

Any decent look at our Club by anyone with the slightest level of football knowledge would see we have a problem, have had a problem for a while, and really aren't doing anything to correct that problem at the moment and without a correction things will only get worse, not better.

We have played a few first year players this year like nearly every Club has. The difference being not many Clubs can lose in the fashion we do and it's been a part of Hinkley led teams for years now.

A pathetic piece of journalism Gerard.

Street level gutter press.

We are only “playing kids” because we traded away our best two players in their prime as a result of gross mismanagement and scapegoating.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, because this forum was massively in support of offloading Polec and Wingard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting the condescension aside, the whole ******* premise is wrong.

It is not merely the lack of success that is pissing supporters off but the manner in which it is happening. It is the predictability and the seeming lack of any initiative to change that that has angered us. That you can watch a minute of a game and see that there is no chance we will be in it. It is lining up week after week without a structured forward line. It is the overemphasis on defence. It is bringing in over paid recruits who underperform when they get through Alberton’s doors. It is treating history as something to be discarded with little regard and less reason. It is failing to take leaders to account for their actions that cruel their seasons. It is the failure to make sure players turn up in condition. It is a failure to reward, and being to quick to punish poor form, of any player over 190cm. It is watching talented players stagnate and killing their careers.

This is setting aside the utensil-wombling from our chair and the failure to land decent, long-term sponsors and a cavalcade of other off-field issues.

It is that it has been this way for six years (the off-field stuff longer) and none of this has changed.

If it was just about us expecting the same success as in the SANFL, Whateley might have a point. But it is not that. It is that we are being asked to put up with a turd-storm of mismanagement from top to botttom.

Last edited:
Based on the fact we had gone hard on youth, with a large group of players who were or are still emerging as well as relying on a core of older players that could have declined more than they have, like Boak.
This big youth argument is a total fraud though. We have a few talented young players just like everyone else. The core of our side is old and experienced.

It's either wilful ignorance or bad analysis to say we have a developing list that could only hope to finish mid table. We just got smacked by 15 goals by a non finals team and Brisbane are top of the ladder.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, because this forum was massively in support of offloading Polec and Wingard.
No it wasn't. We were shattered to be losing Wingard apart from a small section that had allowed themselves to be hoodwinked into believing Chad was solely responsible for our poor culture.

It's either wilful ignorance or bad analysis to say we have a developing list that could only hope to finish mid table. We just got smacked by 15 goals by a non finals team and Brisbane are top of the ladder.

I will say it's hard to analyse a team are inconsistent as us.

An easier take is just a massive psychological issue at the club, but from looking at the list we have I can understand where Whately is coming from.

Not me. We moved on the wrong players and I said that (countless times) before it happened.

We haven’t though?

The team that got destroyed by 15th-placed North was the 7th oldest of the round.

27yo Fremantle discard Cam Sutcliffe has played 2 more games this year than Billy Frampton has since arriving at Port in 2014.

And that’s with Dixon’s catastrophic leg injury, Marshall’s form issues and Ryder’s decline.

I will say it's hard to analyse a team are inconsistent as us.

An easier take is just a massive psychological issue at the club, but from looking at the list we have I can understand where Whately is coming from.
I can understand it too.

It's coming from a place where he wants to support his mate and thinks he can get away with this because the wider AFL community doesn't know enough to call him out for this horrendous take.

Not it's not. Not in the slightest.

Everything he said was rubbish.

No facts, just all built around somehow magically after 5 years of showing no real improvement on any scale Hinkley has suddenly found the golden path to some level of success despite there being totally no evidence to support that any way you look at it.

"it improves next year on a natural trajectory." is the quote that proves how much he has taken any AFL supporter as a moron. There has never ever been and never ever will be a 'natural trajectory' in AFL, or any sport really. Teams get better, some get worse, some stay the same, but there's no 'natural trajectory' about it in any sense.

It was the most condescending journalism - if we must call it something - from somebody that should know a hell of a lot better given his position and standing in the game.

Support a mate/friend? Fine, good by me. But don't tell me to sit back and watch my football club crumbling before my eyes just because your mate is a big part of the reason for that happening, and don't say stuff that is not true trying to justify your obvious attachment to the problem.

Any decent look at our Club by anyone with the slightest level of football knowledge would see we have a problem, have had a problem for a while, and really aren't doing anything to correct that problem at the moment and without a correction things will only get worse, not better.

We have played a few first year players this year like nearly every Club has. The difference being not many Clubs can lose in the fashion we do and it's been a part of Hinkley led teams for years now.

A pathetic piece of journalism Gerard.

Street level gutter press.

Brilliantly said. You should send this to him on air Monday morning. He won't read it out, but he'll read it.

We haven't gone hard on youth, the youth have hardly played all year, besides a couple of favorites.

Sorry for the quote Tribey

“I think, the people around Port Adelaide, and I’ll separate them from the club themselves, the people around Port Adelaide need to calm the farm a bit.

You can wish and hope and think and pray that you should be making finals, and then you can coldly assess what’s happened against what the planning was and you can go, ‘this is exactly where we should be. we are on a path, we are a fair way down the path’.

You want to see where the path leads? Sit tight. Stop the agitation. Stop the unrest. Stop this ridiculous idea that you’re this old SANFL club that should rule the world. That’s not you. That’s not you in the AFL. You scratch and you claw for everything that you’re worth. And you put a plan in place and you follow that plan through.

Isn't this what we are doing though Gerard? Scratching and clawing for everything we are worth. We are worth more than 0 finals wins in 5 years with an insanely talented squad. We are worth more than we have shown.

The plan is, go to the draft, get a critical mass of young players, integrate them, have a good season — this is a good season, this is a clear pass, a clear pass what they have done — it improves next year on a natural trajectory.

No. Wrong. False. Whilst yes, this year may be a pass from peoples expectations, there is zero evidence at all that we improve next year. Yes, Rozee, Butters and Duursma are a year older. So are Gray, Boak, Rockliff, Ebert, Hartlett, Broadbent, Westhoff, Ryder, Dixon. There is every chance we fall off a cliff next year.

There are clubs who have walked this path, they’ve got to the crossroads, and they’ve gone ‘do you know what? we actually believe in what we’re doing here. on we go’. And those clubs have profited enormously from it.”

View attachment 731952

For every Hardwick and Thompson (and to a lesser extent Buckley), there is a Daniher, a Craig, a Connolly, a Voss, a Scott, a Lyon, a Frawley, a Wallace, an Eade etc who didn't profit at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back