Rumour GFC 2016 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
expect a mid in return - not a pick

agree re the talls, stanley is good not great
and at the moment his currency is high

Expect a defender in return if he goes. K Kolo will be the target and if not then we'll target GWS' young defensive fleet. With our aging backline it's clearly our biggest need and our midfield is very deep with guys like Selwood and Menegola coming in.

Well thats true if he is needed to replace Lonergan. But I don't think he is big enough. Maybe Taylor or Henderson but that's 3 years away or more.

The old saying goes - to get a good one you have to give a good one (or there abouts). I loved watching Kolo develop in the twos. Heard the knockers who wanted his name in the bests regularly before they would believe he could play (doesn't happen with defenders), pointed out the good closing speed, thumping punches to nullify, and good disposal. He has now stepped up to the next level. A very good player. Enjoyed every minute.

Now as I pointed out we have Thurlow, Ruggles, Bews, Delaney on the rookie list {and maybe Stewart if we choose}. That is an improving position or at least a covering position if the MC want to roll the dice.
We need a small running defender-wing / distributor and a genuine goal kicking small. [Motlop might be the second type but he does not hang around the feet of the KPFs like a Ballantyne or Betts. McCarthy could be but he doesn't (yet) hit the target.]

GCS have players who could make a big difference - and we must win one before the tsunami hits (GWS and GCS).

So we give a player which GCS would prefer. If they have to shed a pick let it be quality - for us to use (maybe in an on trade) - or a top end player.

On player loyalty I agree. Usually I would say no to trading a developing player. BUT - Kolo tho gets to play with his brother (twin), he would have the prospect of a much bigger pay cheque over time, and his Mum n Dad would only have to travel to the gold coast to keep in touch. Geelong do the right thing again!

I am close to the country's worst SC player. I am sure the List managers don't even bother with it! they just look for real life outcomes. Of course if the MC ask KOLO what he wants and he says I would prefer to stay in Geelong then they would embrace that and so would I.

Easy to name the negatives so good on your for creating something to think about. This would be more realistic if AFL clubs did have push trade ability. I think then we would see a lot more aggressive trades like you have suggested ...and once one club did it , and it seemed to work then others would jump on as well. A bit like our theme the last couple of years with the culmination of last year bring in 4 PnP types (although it now appears it was 6).

As it stands it would take a huge trade for me to entertain trading him , and I cant see that happening. Considering no matter how good the pick is , the average success rate may be around 50-60% at best. Lets say Ablett for Caddy and Smedts as an example. So even if we got R1 picks for him.. he is a know commodity and 2 R1 picks are not. ... and I cant see us getting 2 R1 picks for him. I think in a way this is contributing to a swing towards in system players from clubs.

I guess it depends which mid and where the mid has come from. As it stands our mid depth is reasonable , what we lack would be another gun... im thinking of our previous setup the ABC... so if the mid is good enough I guess there is always room.

Stanley good not great.. Probably but its not like we have 2 or 3 great talls waiting for his role. Perhaps they feel Blitz is better value in the role , and replace him with a better mid. His value would have to be more than when traded him in

I guess it depends which mid and where the mid has come from. As it stands our mid depth is reasonable , what we lack would be another gun... im thinking of our previous setup the ABC... so if the mid is good enough I guess there is always room.

Stanley good not great.. Probably but its not like we have 2 or 3 great talls waiting for his role. Perhaps they feel Blitz is better value in the role , and replace him with a better mid. His value would have to be more than when traded him in
blitz as a second ruck means we lose little, stanleys goals
next year will be telling as both land and thurlow will want serious minutes
the reason why bartel playing on is tough as it would be a ten game season

Stanley, Kersten, Duncan for Fyfe! That would make a nice A,B,C or D,S,F

We dont need a mid we havent got enough spots in the 22 to fit in all our mids as it is.

If they want to give us crozier or langdon (assuming he is not going to play with his brother) to play half back and a high draft pick (read a high first rounder) then we can talk.

blitz as a second ruck means we lose little, stanleys goals
next year will be telling as both land and thurlow will want serious minutes
the reason why bartel playing on is tough as it would be a ten game season

Smith has show he can ruck serious minutes by himself.. Id have slight underlying concern on wear and tear , 75/25 him and Blitz would be reasonable if we make a good gain elsewhere and I was impressed the last time I watched Lucey.. I think he could be a legit backup next year.
Lang and Thurlow..yes they both need to step up as well,
As far as Bartel's minutes ...I'd say any mid we trade in would absorb a lot of minutes as well. The fact is there would be 5-10 guys all thinking they want minutes. For eg. , if Smedts is going to surprise forward..someone else misses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

another midfielder lets us play danger forward more
guthrie goes back
thurlow is back next year, so mid sized defenders we are ok for

will need another development ruck

Mate excluding ruggles and kolo our entire starting defence is 26 or older. I would say defenders are the one thing we really DO need.

Mate excluding ruggles and kolo our entire starting defence is 26 or older. I would say defenders are the one thing we really DO need.
Yep couldn't agree more and if Rhys is getting big offers from interstate clubs, i hope one of them is Brisbane because they have a young unsigned backman in Dizz Gardiner who grew up down this way and IMO would fit in nicely after the older blokes start retiring.
Straight Swap.

Trading out Stanley makes little sense, particularly to pick up another mid which we don't need. What happens if smith goes down - we turn to the ever-reliable Clark and Vardy? Back to where we were a couple of years ago, and with another source of occasional goals gone.

He's in the best 22 of a side which has jumped 7 spots up the ladder in one season and people suggesting the alternative is to go to a club which has just dropped 15 spots and has players running for the door like rats on a sinking ship (appropriate for Ballantyne I think). He moved only a couple of years ago out of another (formerly) Lyon-coached club that couldn't crack the ultimate prize, and don't see why he'd rush back to that again. Sure, money talks, but give the guy some credit.

Yep couldn't agree more and if Rhys is getting big offers from interstate clubs, i hope one of them is Brisbane because they have a young unsigned backman in Dizz Gardiner who grew up down this way and IMO would fit in nicely after the older blokes start retiring.
Straight Swap.

I would never strsight swap them as a) stanley is a better player and b) rucks and kpfs are worth more than kpds. But gardiner is a good young player who i wouldnt be against getting.

Anyway the reality is we need stanley big time so we would never trade him unless he specifically asked to go and given it was his choice to come here when he was contracted at st kilda and he seems happy here, i think there is little chance of that happening.

Trading out Stanley makes little sense, particularly to pick up another mid which we don't need. What happens if smith goes down - we turn to the ever-reliable Clark and Vardy? Back to where we were a couple of years ago, and with another source of occasional goals gone.

He's in the best 22 of a side which has jumped 7 spots up the ladder in one season and people suggesting the alternative is to go to a club which has just dropped 15 spots and has players running for the door like rats on a sinking ship (appropriate for Ballantyne I think). He moved only a couple of years ago out of another (formerly) Lyon-coached club that couldn't crack the ultimate prize, and don't see why he'd rush back to that again. Sure, money talks, but give the guy some credit.

I agree-the only club i could ever see him ditching us for is maybe the dogs as they will experience success have a need in the ruck and the cap room to pay him more than we can, but asides from something like that i can't see him asking to leave and certainly not to freo.

I agree-the only club i could ever see him ditching us for is maybe the dogs as they will experience success have a need in the ruck and the cap room to pay him more than we can, but asides from something like that i can't see him asking to leave and certainly not to freo.
Tell me if I am wrong but isn't stanley out of contract? Fre would just pick him and kersten up in the rookie draft for free with a price on their head

Tell me if I am wrong but isn't stanley out of contract? Fre would just pick him and kersten up in the rookie draft for free with a price on their head

Stanley is not going to PSD himself so i havent given it a second thought.

Can imagine Vardy more likely to head to dogs in attempt to get one more chance. Unfortunately not much coming back the other way on that one though. Could be used in a broader deal - perhaps us trying to upgrade picks or pick off a 2nd round equivalent player from somewhere else (in combination with giving away our Bris third for example).

Anyone think we might make a play for Jasper Pittard at Port? Similar situation to Rohan - RFA end of next year, former Falcon and we could try to get in early by offering up picks and some 'go home' players in return, eg Horlin-Smith or Murdoch, etc. He would help fill the gaping hole that Enright will (at some stage) leave and Danger has already proven life is better in Geelong than Adelaide. Not sure what he'd look like surfing in a suit though.

Still not sure where all this talk is about Stanley going.
Everything I've heard has been he loves it at Geelong and won't leave.
I can't see a club throwing 750+k at him a year to make him leave....

I agree. He's staying. No idea where all this noise is coming from. Stanley is out of contract but he'll get resigned along with Menzel & Ruggles.

Others currently out of contract are:

- Bartel, Lonergan, Enright

- Cornell, Cowan, Clark, Vardy, Luxford, Read,
Kersten, Lucey,

- Bates, Delaney

Unfortunately: H-S signed up till 2018 & Smedts till 2017

If it involved us getting 2 metre peter (obviously we would need to trade more than just kolo for that) then yes otherwise no.

I rather we keep our kolo and try to trade for their kolo the next time he is OOC.
I wouldn't trade JK for P.Wright even in a straight swap. I swear on my grave that I wouldn't. Good clubs do not trade away their good young players. It's that simple. It's not how great lists are built and it sure as hell ain't how great clubs are built either.

Seeing as though we're discussing JK, I'll use our current coach as an example. Chris Scott played for a club that built a great list. Did that club trade away the twin or did it go and get the other one in order to help them win premierships?

I've often heard the saying on this board "build it and they will come". The saying is not "build it, then trade it and then they will come". It just doesn't work that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back