Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s pretty dependable, versatile and handy at worst. Easily best 18, best ten really, and has a right to try to get the best deal from us that he can, just like anyone else. I think fans would be a lot less hard on him if he hadn’t grown his hair, doesn’t really suit him and gave people a tacit excuse to dislike him. People are advocating here that we look at Dahlhaus, fair enough too, but Guthrie is younger and clearly a better player imho.

Guthrie is certainly handy and quite versatile, but I can't agree he's a better overall player than Dahlhaus. Id like to keep Guthrie, but only if the price is right. I suspect if he gets a significantly better deal elsewhere (North, Saints, Blues etc), we'd probably accept that and be happy to let him walk. I don't reckon the club would lose any sleep over him going, he's not a gun midfielder or an important key position structure player.

What's the logic behind it? Why can't you use whatever picks you want that add up to the points required to match the bid?
I think it's possibly because clubs have picks that they'll never use anyway, so it seems a bit weird to say that, for example, pick 14 + pick 70 = pick 12.

I don't mind the system as it sits now, anyway. Give something to get something.

Guthrie is certainly handy and quite versatile, but I can't agree he's a better overall player than Dahlhaus. Id like to keep Guthrie, but only if the price is right. I suspect if he gets a significantly better deal elsewhere (North, Saints, Blues etc), we'd probably accept that and be happy to let him walk. I don't reckon the club would lose any sleep over him going, he's not a gun midfielder or an important key position structure player.

I think he's comparable to Dahlhaus and could still improve significantly. Remember Duncan 12 months ago hadn't really emerged as a star yet. Guthrie's in a similar position that Duncan was early last year at the same age where he's had some great games but stagnated a bit. I thought his first 2 games this year were really good. He's clearly best 22 and his ability to play both defence and as a defensive minded midfielder to me makes him pretty important structurally. I'd be happy to offer him a long contract (say 4 years) if it's not super high. He's a good player, a leader around the club, fairly durable and coming into his prime. He's really a signing with little risk attached and if we offer him a solid 4-year deal I doubt he'd walk to another club even if he got 10-20% more.

Should be able to get enough for a second round pick. Maybe end of at worst.

Who do you think would be interested in Cam.
There interest in DeG seems rather hot ..7 clubs after him.. Carlton , North and StK ... being front runners but he can only go to one club ... perhaps on of the clubs that miss out may look at who else is available. Guthrie would be nowhere near the money DeG would command.

And if CamG does leave does that affect his brother?

I'm not as enamoured with Lycett as some on this board, but he's the type of ruckman I'd be looking at. As Roos suggested - a big 'banger'. Preuss would be top of my list - Goldstein probably has another year or two left in him and you'd think Preuss would be getting sick of playing reserves. Wave a decent contract under his nose (and a near guarantee of being number one ruckmen in a consistently good side, rucking to Ablett, Dangerfield, Selwood et al) and see if he can be moved. Would have to be at least a little tempting.

Just back on this - I noticed that Goldstein said the other day that:

Goldstein said:
"I still feel like I’ve got plenty of footy left in me, and the body is feeling the best it’s felt in a long time. I’m not putting any ceiling on how long I’ve got left, but I feel like I could get another five or six years out of my body, and that could be another 100 games."

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2018-05-22/no-ceiling-for-goldstein

Now obviously you have to take that with a grain of salt - sportsmen are notorious for overestimating their longevity, and Father Time can catch up very quickly. But if I'm Preuss - who has already shown plenty at AFL level - and faced with the prospect of 5 or 6 (or, perhaps more realistically, even 2 or 3) more years toiling away in the VFL with no real chance of breaking into the senior side (barring injuries), I reckon I'd be willing to at least consider other options.

And again - I don't know or care about his contract status. Convince the player to leave and it doesn't matter if their club view them as a required player or not.

Has Jay Clark heard something ....

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...s/news-story/78bf2da61c8303c6ed5888eb9ed1bfbd

If we lost Kelly it would seem to be another Carlton player would be worth consideration...FA and cheapish.. but is he showing signs like GA that his body has just about had enough?

How would MM fit with our midgroup ?
It’s not the first time I’ve seen Murphy linked with coming to geelong next year. I don’t mind it perhaps he could play off half back. He’s a free agent so if he wanted to come it’s be hard to say no.

With the ruck situation what do you think of trading our first pick next year for north’s pick this year and Goldy? North may want to move on their pick this year for academy/fs bids. We pick up goldy and his contract. Or they pay some and we throw in a Thurlow or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the gist of the article about Marc Murphy to Geelong? (It's paywalled for me).

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...s/news-story/78bf2da61c8303c6ed5888eb9ed1bfbd

MARC Murphy will cast an interested eye over Saturday’s clash against Geelong.

The Carlton captain is in the midst of a crucial decision over where he will finish his glittering career which is missing only one thing — an elusive premiership.

He could become the AFL’s most loyal player and re-sign a two-year deal with the Blues, even though they probably won’t play finals in that time

But if Murphy was to make the gut-wrenching decision to leave - and who could blame him - would he nominate Geelong as his preferred new home and turn the Big 3 into a Big 4?

The Cats would surely have the free agent if he cost only, say, $450,000 a year next season.

It’s not the first time I’ve seen Murphy linked with coming to geelong next year. I don’t mind it perhaps he could play off half back. He’s a free agent so if he wanted to come it’s be hard to say no.

With the ruck situation what do you think of trading our first pick next year for north’s pick this year and Goldy? North may want to move on their pick this year for academy/fs bids. We pick up goldy and his contract. Or they pay some and we throw in a Thurlow or something.

As I said..if we lose Kelly , and gain MM its different but he is a seasoned player and we have shown a tendency to look for both short and long . As the article says... if the choice is MM or Parsons or Cunico or Thurlow ..it would be hard to say you are not adding... but my preference is to only look at it if we lose Kelly and keep playing the likes of Cunico as well. Short and Long

MARC Murphy will cast an interested eye over Saturday’s clash against Geelong.

The Carlton captain is in the midst of a crucial decision over where he will finish his glittering career which is missing only one thing — an elusive premiership.

He could become the AFL’s most loyal player and re-sign a two-year deal with the Blues, even though they probably won’t play finals in that time

But if Murphy was to make the gut-wrenching decision to leave - and who could blame him - would he nominate Geelong as his preferred new home and turn the Big 3 into a Big 4?

The Cats would surely have the free agent if he cost only, say, $450,000 a year next season.

It would be worth it just to see how much more feral the Carlton crowd can get :)

Can’t read the article but I don’t want Marc Murphy. Good player but if we had the midfield space I’d be giving all of it to Cockatoo and Parfitt.

I dont honestly see either of those guys missing out as long as they are fit. Would be in the 5 most talented players on our list... but as yet neither have shown they can hold their body together for an extended period to show it.

It would be worth it just to see how much more feral the Carlton crowd can get :)

Well they honestly should treat him with respect.. no matter where he goes. If he moves it will not be for money , and it will probably only help them get games into young guys.
Personally I think the days of Robbie Flower and Bob Skilton are done... if a club sets up to rebuild like the Blues have.. then they can not blame the guys near the end look at options.

Well they honestly should treat him with respect.. no matter where he goes. If he moves it will not be for money , and it will probably only help them get games into young guys.
Personally I think the days of Robbie Flower and Bob Skilton are done... if a club sets up to rebuild like the Blues have.. then they can not blame the guys near the end look at options.
I agree totally. The Carlton supporter base isn't always known for logic, however :)

Well said. Totally agree ( except if it's Joel, that would kill me!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back