Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't start the draft with 4 picks if you don't have 4 list spaces. They will be lost if we don't make the room prior.

You delist 2 fringe players (to allow the 4 picks) and if you live trade up you redraft them with pick 100s on the night to fill the 2 spots if not you let them go.

Hendo & Atkins the only players currently without a contract for 2020. Atkins will get upgraded via the ND.

I wonder what will happen with Hendo? I had assumed there had been no news in case there was a trade forthcoming. He's still only 29 but I can't help but feel the game has gone past him. I did say the same thing about HT after 2017/18 though...

Atkins will stay as a 2nd year rookie and has a 2020 contract already.

Unless we of course do the trade for a higher pick prior to the draft which may happen. Equally some clubs with the higher picks will be keen to know what picks they have to work with and prepare accordingly. I’d say any pick trade for us will happen pre draft unless we clear spaces for 4 players before the draft.
Yeah, agreed.

Its shame that we had to get rid of Wylie Buzza, an absolute cultural hero within the club and had a rippa season in the VFL, but for the loss of Cunico I honestly couldn't give a rats ass and this has been a good move because we have 2 first rounds this year and need to capitalise on this prime opportunity.

Could see a pretty big clean-out at the end of 2020 if things don't pan out well for us, currently 23 player contracts end after next season (age at end of contract):
Ben Jarvis (20)
Blake Schlensog (20)
Brandan Parfitt (22)
Darcy Fort (27)
Gary Ablett (36)
Gary Rohan (29)
Harry Taylor (34)
Jack Henry (22)
Jacob Kennerley (20)
Jake Tarca (20)
James Parsons (23)
Mitch Duncan (29)
Nakia Cockatoo (23)
Oscar Brownless (20)
Quinton Narkle (22)
Rhys Stanley (29)
Ryan Abbott (29)
Sam Menegola (28)
Sam Simpson (22)
Stefan Okunbor (22)
Tom Hawkins (32)
Zach Guthrie (22)
Zach Tuohy (30)

Those in bold the only I feel would be almost guaranteed contracts post 2020. Jury out on the rest and a few retirements in there with HT, Gaz

Interesting times ahead

You are wrong on cockatoo. He will find the ball heaps. In his last game we finally moved him in to the middle in the second qtr as we were being smashed in there and he started racking up the ball at will. Pity he broke down halfway through the third as he was on track for his breakout game.

Yep. 15 disposals, 3 tackles, 4 inside 50s & 0.2 on the scoreboard, from just 48% game time.

Happened the previous year against Carlton as well - looking like a breakout match until injured again:

12 disposals, 4 tackles & 3.2 on the scoreboard, from 54% game time.

I'm getting less and less confident that his body will hold up to AFL football - 2020 is probably a make or break year in that sense - but IF he can get on the park regularly, he will tear some games apart.

Last edited:
Looking at the draftees, I reckon there's a top 12 then a gap - the 12 being in no particular order - Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, D.Stephens, Ash, Serong, Green, Kemp, Robertson, Jackson, McAsey and Young.

I reckon Weightman however will push into that top 12 thereby pushing one of the above out. Unfortunately we have the pick after that. Would be good to even try and push to get the Blues pick 9 or one of the Demons picks. Even the Freo list manager on radio today stated that they may look to split one of their top 2 picks. Bringing in one of the players from the above list I reckon should be a priority.

HSun this morning mentions that Carlton are considereing a bid On Henry with 9... which would not make Freo happy.... but it would change the top group. Another player who may surprise , but probably wont becuase no one wants to be the bad guy , is Maginess.

I will bat for Zuthrie.

He is a slow burn - think Hamling. He is an excellent reader of the game a good kick and has good hands (in play and overhead). Each season he has come on a step and if he had had to play in that (pretty good) backline at AFL this year he would have done OK. Henry just a better player ATM.

He does need more bulk of course but his general awareness and his ability to stay cool under pressure impresses me. In time he could be one of those general types down back, not KPP like Harry but from a flank.

If he was in this draft I reckon he would go in the 20-40 range. A known quantity.

So who do you delist to get list spots?

What about we take the a complete alternate route and keep trading up the value of our picks like the TV show “Barter Kings” We only have one list spot after all.

Trade 17 for a FFR pick next year.
Trade 24 for a late FFR Pick year
Trade 36 and Future 3rd for 22 this year then trade that for a late FFR

Use pick 14, upgrade ZGuthrie, upgrade Simpson, keep Hendo = list full.

5 first Rounders next year. 😉

HSun this morning mentions that Carlton are considereing a bid On Henry with 9... which would not make Freo happy.... but it would change the top group. Another player who may surprise , but probably wont becuase no one wants to be the bad guy , is Maginess.

Wouldn’t be shocked with early bids on both. If Hawks get a bid at 10 then they will match - why give them two bites?

Wouldn’t be shocked with early bids on both. If Hawks get a bid at 10 then they will match - why give them two bites?

It doesnt really help us to get into this earlier name you mention but means those two clubs dont get 2 for 1. Without considering any backroom deals.. id considering bidding on them both if we had 9. Especially as we don't have any gun FS or academy picks coming thru.. and thought of Haw getting a free kick is enough to turn my stomach. Both players would still get there and would be matched.

Im wondering if the Pre season draft can play a part in our planning or draft selection. If we have a place available maybe we then pick a wafl or sanfl player that fits needs... or maybe we use it do re draft if we have to delist.. If we can get the chance to draft a young ruck at the pick we rate them at maybe that something to consider.... generally there is always rucks who miss getting drafted.. and then start to play well at the 2nd level. Again probably would require a payout if we have a full list ..but thats possible if the "Right" player gets a season ending injury.

I will bat for Zuthrie.

He is a slow burn - think Hamling. He is an excellent reader of the game a good kick and has good hands (in play and overhead). Each season he has come on a step and if he had had to play in that (pretty good) backline at AFL this year he would have done OK. Henry just a better player ATM.

He does need more bulk of course but his general awareness and his ability to stay cool under pressure impresses me. In time he could be one of those general types down back, not KPP like Harry but from a flank.

If he was in this draft I reckon he would go in the 20-40 range. A known quantity.
Agree with most of it except the last bit.

Was solid in a final against Richmond. Seems pretty good under pressure. No longer one of Scott's favourites after getting towelled by Roughead though

No doubt there was a lot more to it than Paddy saying jump and the club saying how high, but I also have no doubt that Paddy gave his 2 cents on Jenkins like he does with everything and the recruiting team took that into consideration when pulling the trigger. Training and team structure is a different beast and I think Paddy would be more influential with the playing group to push for Jenkins to be integrated sooner rather than later given his experience during Adelaide’s recent finals campaigns.

Yup. And blind Freddy could see how effective it is to have two or more key forwards in the finals not to mention being able to mark on the wing in transition.

Is this the end of Hendo? Or does he get one more year? Is there space? He might be good back up but he dangerously poor. Personally prefer to give games to the youth. Let Hendo get to another club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It doesnt really help us to get into this earlier name you mention but means those two clubs dont get 2 for 1. Without considering any backroom deals.. id considering bidding on them both if we had 9. Especially as we don't have any gun FS or academy picks coming thru.. and thought of Haw getting a free kick is enough to turn my stomach. Both players would still get there and would be matched.

Im wondering if the Pre season draft can play a part in our planning or draft selection. If we have a place available maybe we then pick a wafl or sanfl player that fits needs... or maybe we use it do re draft if we have to delist.. If we can get the chance to draft a young ruck at the pick we rate them at maybe that something to consider.... generally there is always rucks who miss getting drafted.. and then start to play well at the 2nd level. Again probably would require a payout if we have a full list ..but thats possible if the "Right" player gets a season ending injury.

Well, if Hawks and Freo are forced to use their early picks on Maginness and Henry then it follows that 2 of the rest will drop. But you are reliant on that happening which I’d say is probably less likely than not to occur.

With regard to utilising a fourth pick if it comes to that, I’d look at either one of the young rucks or as you say, a mature aged player from the state leagues - Partington or Riccardi or Sokol maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could see a pretty big clean-out at the end of 2020 if things don't pan out well for us, currently 23 player contracts end after next season (age at end of contract):
Ben Jarvis (20)
Blake Schlensog (20)
Brandan Parfitt (22)
Darcy Fort (27)
Gary Ablett (36)
Gary Rohan (29)
Harry Taylor (34)
Jack Henry (22)
Jacob Kennerley (20)
Jake Tarca (20)
James Parsons (23)
Mitch Duncan (29)
Nakia Cockatoo (23)
Oscar Brownless (20)
Quinton Narkle (22)
Rhys Stanley (29)
Ryan Abbott (29)
Sam Menegola (28)
Sam Simpson (22)
Stefan Okunbor (22)
Tom Hawkins (32)
Zach Guthrie (22)
Zach Tuohy (30)

Those in bold the only I feel would be almost guaranteed contracts post 2020. Jury out on the rest and a few retirements in there with HT, Gaz

Interesting times ahead
Forts will be 27? Holy sh**. And duncan 29?

So who do you delist to get list spots?

I am not sure how it all works but I will place the names in order from first on MY list to go to last to go. Based purely on the half dozen live VFL games I saw this year:

Jarvis -- Henderson -- Tarca . (Simpson and Zuthrie are too close to breaking into the team IMO to be let go now)

Explainer: None in the short list deserve to be moved but if delisted the club should rookie if possible / allowed .

Jarvis had interrupted preseason and as a result had little impact in the games I saw. Most likely to be ignored by opposition clubs in draft.
Henderson. Just because we need the spot. With Harry around Hendo could go and he may be amenable to rookie spot (if he gets there).
Tarca. Played most games this year. No impact early but got a little more involved as the year went on. deserves another year. Risk him being taken tho.

I always reckon draftees always deserve their 2 years. It would be a pity if a Jarvis or Tarca had to go.

Another poster mentioned Ablett and Taylor. Their decision to go one more was made before the Kelly trade (I think) and the new situation (more good picks than expected) may change their view (or not). Taylor could be valuable in a coaching role on same coin. Retire?

Well, if Hawks and Freo are forced to use their early picks on Maginness and Henry then it follows that 2 of the rest will drop. But you are reliant on that happening which I’d say is probably less likely than not to occur.

With regard to utilising a fourth pick if it comes to that, I’d look at either one of the young rucks or as you say, a mature aged player from the state leagues - Partington or Riccardi or Sokol maybe.

I 'd like us to give Sokol a chance like we did Kelly.
He's done everything well at state level in fact stellar results and ready so no time wasting like Zuthrie.
That missing medium forward, 23/24 yr old.
Worth an opportunity l think.

Last edited:
I 'd like us to give Sokol a chance like we did Kelly.
He's done everything well at state level in fact stellar results and ready so no time wasting like Zuthrie.
That missing medium forward, 23/24 yr old.
Worth an opportunity l think.
I'd like to see us use a second rounder on Sokol, and maybe Will Gould in the first round if he's available

26, but on BF he gets 6 months older every time he's talked about. Duncan 28
So if you read what I actually posted you'd see that I said the age indicated was at the end of 2020, when their contracts end.

I'd like to see us use a second rounder on Sokol, and maybe Will Gould in the first round if he's available

Mate I'd be pleased if we went for Gould but something makes me think he's to easy a pick for Wells who likes to find players rather than go with the stats.
I mean at 18 the enforcer in the Glenelg premiers back half, what's not to like.
His attack out of defence is a feature, he reminds me of a very fast version of WCE McGovern. The kids a beast probably gone by our pick.

Sokol is a really athletic big body although only 186cm something like a DeGoey l'd say.
Great mark, great off the ground and runs all day, l think he's definitely got the tools to make a dangerous senior player in the AFL.
Where to place him is a hard one but with what he's got to offer and what he's already
done probably late second rd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back