Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still haven’t got a true crumbing forward pocket. Atkins, Dahl are more pressure forwards.
Be really interesting to see if Jake Tarca can push for a spot. Seemed to do plenty of good stuff in the highlight reels, but watching the games drifted in and out - wonder if that's a fitness thing that'll improve with another preseason.

Be really interesting to see if Jake Tarca can push for a spot. Seemed to do plenty of good stuff in the highlight reels, but watching the games drifted in and out - wonder if that's a fitness thing that'll improve with another preseason.

Forgot about him. Be good to see him put pressure on Atkins for a spot next year.

As is Fogarty. I think Miers is a good crumber too. Simpson is potentially an option.
Frankly id be more worried about a ruck (i can forsee all of Stanley Abbott and Fort being gone in 12 months which would only leave Sav and Jenkins as pinch hitters) a proper wingman and another mid with where our list is at.

If we were able to get D.Stephens in the draft you could play him on a wing, Miers deeper forward which would structure us up far better.

If we were able to get D.Stephens in the draft you could play him on a wing, Miers deeper forward which would structure us up far better.

I do agree with that and i like stephens.
I do think miers dahlhaus atkins (i know he is a def fwd) fogarty tarca and simpson is a decent crop and you can often get decent small fwds as rookies.
Our rucks concern me-i think abbott and fort will go next year and Stanley will either go the same way or be 30 which basically only leaves Sav. We need to either draft a Jackson or trade a fair bit for a mature ruck next year. It depends if Jackson gets taken ahead of us (unless we live trade up to get him). Rucks can slide so i wouldnt be staggered to see him there at 14-i doubt melb syd carl haw port or wbd have the needs to take him so its really only if gws get 3 and reach (6 will cost them green if it stays there) or freo at 7/10 otherwise he probably gets to 14 and id be disappointed if we pass. Suns probably look hard at 15.

I do agree with that and i like stephens.
I do think miers dahlhaus atkins (i know he is a def fwd) fogarty tarca and simpson is a decent crop and you can often get decent small fwds as rookies.
Our rucks concern me-i think abbott and fort will go next year and Stanley will either go the same way or be 30 which basically only leaves Sav. We need to either draft a Jackson or trade a fair bit for a mature ruck next year. It depends if Jackson gets taken ahead of us (unless we live trade up to get him). Rucks can slide so i wouldnt be staggered to see him there at 14-i doubt melb syd carl haw port or wbd have the needs to take him so its really only if gws get 3 and reach (6 will cost them green if it stays there) or freo at 7/10 otherwise he probably gets to 14 and id be disappointed if we pass. Suns probably look hard at 15.

I reckon there's a fair chance that Jackson will last till 14 unless GWS get two bites of the cherry.

I reckon there's a fair chance that Jackson will last till 14 unless GWS get two bites of the cherry.

Yeah its interesting gws probably cost themselves a flag not taking grundy but its rare for rucks to go top 5 maybe they dont take him?
Freo is interesting they have Darcy for 3 more years so they may go mids now and rucks later. If Henry gets a bid at say 8 we could probably live swap 10 (because they dont want that disappearing) for a FR1 or later picks and take Jackson at 10.
Maybe we see how the night goes and live trade? I think the mids at 5 are better than 14 so if we want one we should trade up (if Jackson goes at 3 you live trade for 4 or 5 for a mid) whereas if he looks like getting to 14 you sit tight and take him at 14 and a mid at 17.

Yeah its interesting gws probably cost themselves a flag not taking grundy but its rare for rucks to go top 5 maybe they dont take him?
Freo is interesting they have Darcy for 3 more years so they may go mids now and rucks later. If Henry gets a bid at say 8 we could probably live swap 10 (because they dont want that disappearing) for a FR1 or later picks and take Jackson at 10.
Maybe we see how the night goes and live trade? I think the mids at 5 are better than 14 so if we want one we should trade up (if Jackson goes at 3 you live trade for 4 or 5 for a mid) whereas if he looks like getting to 14 you sit tight and take him at 14 and a mid at 17.

I get a bit nervous with the whole live trading thing. I assume that a lot of background work goes into organising a prospective trade prior to draft night? I can't quite imagine that a club will willingly trade a pick out without a lot of work being done prior. Any trades for a top 5-8 pick probably need to be done prior to the draft I would have thought.

The other code ref doesnt hold water for me unless they have a bidding system like ours. A bidding system that allows protected access to players at a discount

Clubs will always be clever... and I have tried to find changes that the afl forecast but I have not been able to find any changes afetr last year. Maybe it will become clearer as we approach the draft.

This system was built from the other codes specifically NFL, NHL and recent changes are NBA related. They are the facts so I can just ignore it if I like but myself personally I can see likely trends to come across to AFL and from the routes they have taken which are nearly identical in most ways to the other codes. You can ignore them because Australia has a bidding system which basically won't impact the larger system if used correctly considering the AFL like all other bodies have control over every trade same as abroad. They can veto a trade or transaction they don't like.

I know it doesn't hold water for you but it's just like factual parts of my argument. The actual bidding process and father son section of the draft in the bigger picture is such a small section of the overall plan and overview I'm nowhere near as concerned as you are. And your overly concerned with it considering to my understanding clubs can do what ever they like with the pick live traded. If a club wants to make a bad deal for themselves so be it why have such a high level of concern for it.

I understand it's a process and things need to be implemented slowly so the AFL, people & clubs can grasp it and smooth the edges.

But if your working towards drafted players being on traded to other teams for assets on draft nights as a first step and then moving forward to being able to trade players for other players picks and assets as the end goal.

To me this section which is foreign to you just looks like a normal progression and as I have said before all these arguments coming fourth are things I have seen variations of before so not overly phased by any of it.

The fact you can't find any information on it two weeks out from draft day means it's still a work in progress. I'm not going to pretend to know what the ruling will be from the AFL per se.

But I will strongly disagree this is not exactly what the AFL want more people involved in the draft and free agency periods than ever before. This type of model is perfect for the AFL keeps tongues wagging and people frothing for information

Aka this conversation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love Shifter, Turbo, but that's his role. Can't recall a time he hasn't pumped up the draft.

Im not advocating any more than what I have said before which is the draft has plenty of talent but less developed than some other years .. saw the article and linked it... I agree he is a bit like Turner at the Falcons..where every year there is a new Luke Hodge..

Last edited:

Gee thats an interesting discussion. We have gone the full range on here but GWS have always had more early picks than us.

IF we keep all our picks ..and if we do draft Jackson then i'll trust the clubs judgment. He would fit what they appear to like as they keep going back to Blitz.

I get a bit nervous with the whole live trading thing. I assume that a lot of background work goes into organising a prospective trade prior to draft night? I can't quite imagine that a club will willingly trade a pick out without a lot of work being done prior. Any trades for a top 5-8 pick probably need to be done prior to the draft I would have thought.

I found the Vids..Carlton and Suns and StK ... on the afl website as interesting . Frankly I find it a bit amazing that they would rely on mobile phones to do deals like they do..

Saw a phantom draft on the ESPN website. What does everyone think of this haul?

Deven Robertson
Josh Worrell
Dylan Williams
Joshua Shute
Decent but would like just to see us pick up a ruckman of the future. Sam De Konig or Luke Jackson if available (unlikely)

This system was built from the other codes specifically NFL, NHL and recent changes are NBA related. They are the facts so I can just ignore it if I like but myself personally I can see likely trends to come across to AFL and from the routes they have taken which are nearly identical in most ways to the other codes. You can ignore them because Australia has a bidding system which basically won't impact the larger system if used correctly considering the AFL like all other bodies have control over every trade same as abroad. They can veto a trade or transaction they don't like.

I know it doesn't hold water for you but it's just like factual parts of my argument. The actual bidding process and father son section of the draft in the bigger picture is such a small section of the overall plan and overview I'm nowhere near as concerned as you are. And your overly concerned with it considering to my understanding clubs can do what ever they like with the pick live traded. If a club wants to make a bad deal for themselves so be it why have such a high level of concern for it.

I understand it's a process and things need to be implemented slowly so the AFL, people & clubs can grasp it and smooth the edges.

But if your working towards drafted players being on traded to other teams for assets on draft nights as a first step and then moving forward to being able to trade players for other players picks and assets as the end goal.

To me this section which is foreign to you just looks like a normal progression and as I have said before all these arguments coming fourth are things I have seen variations of before so not overly phased by any of it.

The fact you can't find any information on it two weeks out from draft day means it's still a work in progress. I'm not going to pretend to know what the ruling will be from the AFL per se.

But I will strongly disagree this is not exactly what the AFL want more people involved in the draft and free agency periods than ever before. This type of model is perfect for the AFL keeps tongues wagging and people frothing for information

Aka this conversation

Ray I understand what you are saying... but the only area that we were discussion was the particular area rel to afl concession re Father Sons and Academy players..

I understand if it was our pick at 14 ... and we were on the clock... yes we may choose to trade it ... I dont know if anyone has done this yet ..but I could see that its possible.

Thats very different to Carlton having a pick before Freo ... them bidding on Henry ... then Freo quickly doing a trade ..that may have been just sitting there to activate.. Freo avoid having to use a pick on a academy player and trade it out for something of parity ..lets say 2 Fr1's to Geelong ... and then match the bid on henry with P22 & whatever else they have.. then trade back into the draft perhaps with P14 etc.

Now I get that in your opinion all sorts of devious underhand machiavellian concoctions are all to be expected and encouraged .. but when its an advantge gained by the the academy rights to a player ..its not a sustaianble concoction imo. The AFL and the other clubs would ensure it not being so. Admitadley the changes forcast after last year after the swans and eagle deals ..I can not find any report of how they are going to admin it

I found the Vids..Carlton and Suns and StK ... on the afl website as interesting . Frankly I find it a bit amazing that they would rely on mobile phones to do deals like they do..

It all seemed a bit amateurish to me when I watched it. It just seems to me that this new initiative is purely there to titillate the viewer at home. As for whether it's really necessary... I have my doubts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back