Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy bidding rules have changed this year. Clubs need to match the bid with picks in the same round now, e.g. if the bid is in the first round, the club needs to match it with a first round pick. You can't use 6x picks in the 30s and 40s anymore.

Has that been introduced? I thought it was a discussion point but the draw back is it will reduce clubs wilingness to trade picks .How do you determine which pick to keep?

Look back at the thread from when we got Cameron and there were plenty of fans who thought we should have walked away rather than pay up. It was more than just anger at paying when we shouldn't have had to.

There weren't many complaining about getting Danger but I remember giving up Gore as part of the deal was very very unpopular.
No rational posters were saying that. Anyone who said we should have walked away for the Cameron deal or was upset about losing gore quite frankly were worth ignoring.

It was irrational ranting from people who felt we were owed a free hit just because everyone else was getting free hits.

No rational posters were saying that. Anyone who said we should have walked away for the Cameron deal or was upset about losing gore quite frankly were worth ignoring.

It was irrational ranting from people who felt we were owed a free hit just because everyone else was getting free hits.
It's been widely acknowledged that Wells wanted to walk away from the Cameron deal.

Academy bidding rules have changed this year. Clubs need to match the bid with picks in the same round now, e.g. if the bid is in the first round, the club needs to match it with a first round pick. You can't use 6x picks in the 30s and 40s anymore.
I'd like to know what happens when a club bids on a player with the last pick in a round.

Last edited:
A couple there that are already seperating themselves.

Duursma 3.0 and the kid Sharp look very high end talent..

but the one I saw was …. Being top25 at this stage is on the edge of good and bad. Too good and we will not be able to draft him. Id also question the 183cm. I think thats old info. I have seen him listed as taller than that.

View attachment 1996587
Who do we pay money to to keep him out of the media?

A few things from Gettable:

• Bruhn in talks to extend contract. He is contracted to 2025 but we're looking to extend it already.
  • Bailey Smith between Cats and Hawks
  • Yeo probably stays at WCE, but if he leaves, it's Cats or Dons.

It's been widely acknowledged that Wells wanted to walk away from the Cameron deal.
Acknowledged by whom?

He may have been publicly posturing to put pressure on GWS to do the deal, but I highly doubt he didn’t realise that the deal was an absolute bargain.

If Wells wanted to walk away from the deal he would have.

The Smedts and Caddy one

Go Catters

Well not technically a trade … and really we have sometimes not done as well as we should have. I have not really studifed it..could we have kept the picks till the next super draft considering those picks had a 5 year band on them?

I thought he may have been talking about the move from GC… which we did OK from.

Last edited:
Who do we pay money to to keep him out of the media?

With a bit of luck …they may reduce the cut off for the nga’s by next year. perhaps we lose the discount but still happy to pay for priority access to an extra kid in that range of the draft.

By the way… the 183cm goes back at least 12 months. If he gets selected for Vic then it will be good to see what his bottom year brings. I suspect long term he is a Jack Henry tall type.

I hope we are well and truly in the race for LDU... even if we have to pay a bit overs (next year as FA).

I think he is better than most give him credit for and would be a fantastic Dangerfield replacement.

Below is a graph of most broken tackles and LDU is right up there in that stat.

A bull in the middle that breaks tackles, has speed and can kick goals... The kid is gonna get paid huge. Screen Shot 2024-05-20 at 12.13.52 pm.png

Last edited:
You mean 'widely rumoured'.

There is no evidence to support this claim. There is no way we would walk way from a generational talent. We aren't a club that goes making significant offers and committments to generational players without committing ourselves to getting a deal done one way or the other.

GWS had a right to match the RFA offer, they matched and we had to cough up picks and trade. Imagine our clubs reputation if we had of walked away when it all got too hard?

I'm not buying it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no evidence to support this claim. There is no way we would walk way from a generational talent. We aren't a club that goes making significant offers and committments to generational players without committing ourselves to getting a deal done one way or the other.

GWS had a right to match the RFA offer, they matched and we had to cough up picks and trade. Imagine our clubs reputation if we had of walked away when it all got too hard?

I'm not buying it.

If it wasn't true the club would've quashed it when the media ran with it. Instead we always hear Scott and others talk about it not being a dictatorship and how many people have input into the decision making process and they don't always agree on everything.

It's just wrong to say only irrational people had hesitations about how much we paid for Cameron when clearly there was debate within our own footy department over whether or not to do the trade.

I'm not buying it.
Without going into detail Wells had a falling out and nearly left the club and only returned once others had been moved on.

I hope we are well and truly in the race for LDU... even if we have to pay a bit overs (next year as FA).

I think he is better than most give him credit for and would be a fantastic Dangerfield replacement.

A bull in the middle that breaks tackles, has speed and can kick goals... The kid is gonna get paid huge.View attachment 1996746

Where did you get the data from?

Where did you get the data from?
Some AFL article... can't remember exactly but screenshot it.

I think LDU is also in the top handful this year for the same stat.

It goes to show how crazy Dusty was in 2017 and how good Ried is at breaking tackles (no shock there, he is a freak).

I believe Warner is 2nd in broken tackles this year... The kid goes ok.

Without going into detail Wells had a falling out and nearly left the club and only returned once others had been moved on.
The question I have is how did Wells, the head of recruitment, get overridden in that situation? What sort of internal politics was going on there?

This was posted on the Poos and Wees board.
Let him know your thoughts about his Squarks based hypothetical!

Hawks trade Worpel to Geelong for Cats FRP and F2.

Ufc 205 Seriously GIF by UFC

Last edited by a moderator:
Some AFL article... can't remember exactly but screenshot it.

I think LDU is also in the top handful this year for the same stat.

It goes to show how crazy Dusty was in 2017 and how good Ried is at breaking tackles (no shock there, he is a freak).

I believe Warner is 2nd in broken tackles this year... The kid goes ok.
LDU absolutely has AA potential and possibly even top 10 in the comp if he put it all together. It is hard to excel in that North side.

I would be very happy if he was the big fish we landed. We aren't going to find our next Dangerfield, but we can still get an A grade mid with plenty of football left.

Conway, LDU, Holmes, Bruhn, Dempsey, Clark around 2026-2028 could be quite an exciting midfield rotation. With Miers injected from the forward half and Mullin from the back half here and there for a bit of X factor.

Brian Cook a very shrewd operator - he said publicly at the time - quote " We are into Jeremy Cameron big time "

Another great thing B Cook did for Geel getting Cameron - that got Geel at the time an elusive Premiership , and Cameron has been a sensational player for the Cats , and as a supporter fantastic to watch

Some one was going on yesterday with absolute dribble about how tremendous Kelly has been even at W/Coast ( which is utter bulldust ) hes a good ordinary player - you know he was the Silver Monaro traded in for The Gold Roller ( Jeremy)

In fact i think in the last 60s - since the mid 60s there has been 3 standout absolute Champion Centre Half Forwards - Royce Hart , Wayne Carey and Jeremy Cameron

LDU absolutely has AA potential and possibly even top 10 in the comp if he put it all together. It is hard to excel in that North side.

I would be very happy if he was the big fish we landed. We aren't going to find our next Dangerfield, but we can still get an A grade mid with plenty of football left.

Conway, LDU, Holmes, Bruhn, Dempsey, Clark around 2026-2028 could be quite an exciting midfield rotation. With Miers injected from the forward half and Mullin from the back half here and there for a bit of X factor.

LDU is exactly the player we need in our midfield.
Big-bodied, can break tackles, and has decent skills on the outside.
My only concern is his injury record.
Would rather us chase him than Bailey Smith.

A bull in the middle that breaks tackles, has speed and can kick goals... The kid is gonna get paid huge.View attachment 1996746

The devil will be in the detail. Defining “a bit” … I suspect we will have to pay close to market rate.. but with the desperation from some of unloved clubs … market rate might be 1.3 to 1.5M

Remove this Banner Ad

Back