Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

posted on the Poos and Wees board.
Let him know your thoughts about his Squarks based hypothetical!

Hawks trade Worpel to Geelong for Cats FRP and F2.

Ufc 205 Seriously GIF by UFC

No. He is channelling “The Castle” with that deal..

Last edited by a moderator:
Acknowledged by whom?

He may have been publicly posturing to put pressure on GWS to do the deal, but I highly doubt he didn’t realise that the deal was an absolute bargain.

If Wells wanted to walk away from the deal he would have.
It’s a BF urban myth.

It generally starts that way, academy players get early exposure and hype, half of them end up drifting

You are across these matters way better than me, but it seems to me the northern states don't let any player of talent get through the academy net. Hardwick has trouble containing himself with who they have via the biased (my word) academy system. Then there's those in the pipeline.

I take a lot of notice of Shifter's analysis as it's his full-time role. He doesn't miss too often.

Then there's the southern states being outspoken about the unfairness. We are head of the queue if the comments of CS are any indication.

I have no qualms with the Academy system, we need to grow the game and add as much talent as we can. Only proviso being they should be close to market rate and other clubs need to do better at how they run their clubs and try to prise as many players back as possible through other means. So much better for the comp if the four northern teams and possibly a Darwin side field a predominantly home grown team.

Just get rid of RFA. Its being half pregnant. You have served 8 years ..which entitles you to Free Agency …a choice of where you wish to live and work.. unless you contract puts you into the top 25% …then you have to serve another two years .

Whats possibly worse is sometime s because of a the contract structure, something instigated by the club… a players last year (rear ended contract) can be that heavily loaded that it puts him into that RFA group.

Then in the case of Cameron … the guy had severed ten years to the club. I find it incredibly two faced that clubs get all funny that a player might just walk to their new club thru the PSD…yet match a FA offer for a guy who has given them 8 years.
Why was RFA even a thing?? Its meaningless and leaves it entirelu up to the team whether to hold them hostage or not. Defeats the purpose of FA.

I have no qualms with the Academy system, we need to grow the game and add as much talent as we can. Only proviso being they should be close to market rate and other clubs need to do better at how they run their clubs and try to prise as many players back as possible through other means. So much better for the comp if the four northern teams and possibly a Darwin side field a predominantly home grown team.
That defeats the entite purpose of a national competition.

Unless you want to see the old zoning days and geelong has home grown country boys etc etc with other teams their own zone..

Sydney and brisbane dont have player retention issues. Only the two startup teams do which is quite normal. GWS not so much anymore as they are settling.

Essentially we havr a handful of teams receiving an unfair playing field in the league. Sydney will essentially never bottom out with the constant pipeline

The devil will be in the detail. Defining “a bit” … I suspect we will have to pay close to market rate.. but with the desperation from some of unloved clubs … market rate might be 1.3 to 1.5M
Yep, know doubt market rate for top-liners to move clubs will be plenty. Someone will drive the price right up.

We are going to have to cough up market rate or very close to it for these types going forward.

Unless of course we get lucky and have Falcons that want to return home and are happy to take a bit less.

I guess we just offer what we are comfortable with and if it's not enough then so be it.

I don't see us landing any big fish players though if we bring a butter knife to a gun fight.

You are across these matters way better than me, but it seems to me the northern states don't let any player of talent get through the academy net. Hardwick has trouble containing himself with who they have via the biased (my word) academy system. Then there's those in the pipeline.

I take a lot of notice of Shifter's analysis as it's his full-time role. He doesn't miss too often.

Then there's the southern states being outspoken about the unfairness. We are head of the queue if the comments of CS are any indication.

I was commenting more on the phenomena that occurs in the year before the draft that academy linked players get a lot of early hype and attention but don't hold those positions as it moves to the draft as other players get more public exposure. There are these narrative cylces that pretty much happen every year and is as relaiable as the hype cycle that the U17 draft year is a super draft but once it is the current year it a bit weak then after the draft it is a stronger draft than expected.

The benefits of them for their particular teams is another matter all together. Between pick cycling, the discount and equally important and overlooked are clubs not making other clubs pay full price. There was no chance Collingwood weren't going to match for N.Daicos, whoever had pick 1 should have made a bid. Same with Walters last to GC, it makes no sense that North would make a bid with pick 3 and not with pick 2. North in 2020, annoys me, Sydney have pick 4 in the draft, make a bloody bid at pick 3, it gave Sydney a free top 5 pick. Tom Green goes to pick 10 in 2019, if a team has traded down for point they going to match where ever you bid, Sydney should bid at pick 5, Hell Melbourne bidding a pick 3 ****s GWS' whole trade period when they moved to get ahead of bid.

I wasn't told about it on bigfooty. I was told by someone at GWS at the time
Urban myths always start somewhere.

I’ve got an extremely good source that calls BS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No rational posters were saying that. Anyone who said we should have walked away for the Cameron deal or was upset about losing gore quite frankly were worth ignoring.

It was irrational ranting from people who felt we were owed a free hit just because everyone else was getting free hits.

I wanted us to have our cake and eat it too, during the Dangerfield trade too. I don't have the right temperament

That defeats the entite purpose of a national competition.

Unless you want to see the old zoning days and geelong has home grown country boys etc etc with other teams their own zone..

Sydney and brisbane dont have player retention issues. Only the two startup teams do which is quite normal. GWS not so much anymore as they are settling.

Essentially we havr a handful of teams receiving an unfair playing field in the league. Sydney will essentially never bottom out with the constant pipeline

Every club that has success has some sort of advantage. If GC etc start to really become an over bearing success ..it will be reigned in. The start will making them pay fair rate for the players….

Strapping Young Lad posted this on the Poos and Wees board.
Let him know your thoughts about his Squarks based hypothetical!

Hawks trade Worpel to Geelong for Cats FRP and F2.

Ufc 205 Seriously GIF by UFC
My guys, the rule of a long winded hypothetical trade posted by me is that they are a joke, and my other mod mate hates them, so I really play on that. 😂

Yep, know doubt market rate for top-liners to move clubs will be plenty. Someone will drive the price right up.

We are going to have to cough up market rate or very close to it for these types going forward.

Unless of course we get lucky and have Falcons that want to return home and are happy to take a bit less.

I guess we just offer what we are comfortable with and if it's not enough then so be it.

I don't see us landing any big fish players though if we bring a butter knife to a gun fight.

There is an argument that says getting players is more about non money matters .. as they will get well paid anywhere… so all we can do is put on our best clobber and put our best foot forward.

REMINDER TO ALL

You're all welcome to visit opposition boards, have a read of their posts & being mindful of the threads you're in, it's highly likely you can also contribute to discussion & react to posts - just don't be a dick when doing so unless you're looking for a holiday... And if you do get told off, don't come back here complaining about it

One rule that's a standard across all boards is to not tag opposition posters into threads on other boards, do not post direct links to posts from other boards, and if posting a screenshot make sure that the posters name & identifying features (avatar etc) have been removed or covered - it's rude and has lead to issues in the past

IF you're wanting to go down the path of posting content from another board, ensure you remove all links, all tags and all features identifying the poster - failure to do so, may see you being the one not so happy

My guys, the rule of a long winded hypothetical trade posted by me is that they are a joke, and my other mod mate hates them, so I really play on that. 😂
We really need to get involved.

We need mids and you need KP so Cooper Stephens for Pheonix Foster - hawks throw in a frp

We really need to get involved.

We need mids and you need KP so Cooper Stephens for Pheonix Foster - hawks throw in a frp
Poor old Coop, on the injured list again I think. Not sure we'll ever see him play a game.

Who’s paying the $2 million…

$1.5m a year rumoured offer for Weitering from Saints...Salary cap going up with the next broadcast deal...I think a number of clubs will throw that kind of cash at Reid, especially with Tassie coming in and the potential for high quality draftees to be taken by them in a few years, which will have implications for other clubs rebuilding.

I imagine Richmond in 2 years could offer that to try and avoid an extended stay down the bottom if they get caught out being rubbish while Tasmania load up, probably throw in a few more Melbourne based cellar dwellers who will find themselves with some extra cap room suddenly.

N Daicos and Reid will both get crazy offers in the next couple of years. I can easily see one of them being the first one to sign $2mill a year over 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back