Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends where the 1st round picks are. This year again it won’t be a top 10 pick.

Can anybody actually argue that Bruhn, Touhy, Henry, Stanley etc that play 200 games for your club aren’t worth picks in the teens.

Bailey Smith or LDU would be terrific. LDU would cost more but he’d be the blueprint of what Geelong need and in a decent team could genuinely be a top 10 player in the league which changes the course of your club. It’s funny as we definitely need another genuine mid but I actually like the way Bruhn and Clarke are coming along.

With the ruck rules as they stand we must make a play for Sean Darcy. I reckon he’d be gettable with Jackson needing more first ruck time and our guys just aren’t strong enough to wrestle with the big boys at the moment.
The hardest of passes. Monstrous contract and single ply durability

If we are this of middle of the range club. And we are only making numbers.. And for the next couple of years we may or in my mind will be in the same boat, ( finishing anywhere between 8-12.
Should we really go after any out of contract players eg Bailey Smith? As in my mind we really need to use our draft picks for picking up kids to fit our list.. As if we use it on Bailey Smith, we won't have our 1st and 2nd round pick..

But if we want to bring in players, we should only bring UFA and RFA. As we won't have to trade our picks , unless they match it. And if that's the case we walk away
Thoughts?

Yeah absolutely we should chase Smith.

We just will not get what we need in the time frame we need it from the draft. We need a mid with some power and we ain't getting that from a kid currently studying for year 12 exams projected outside top 10.

LDU would be good next year but after his experience at North we'd want to prove to him we aren't going to turn into North

Yeah absolutely we should chase Smith.

We just will not get what we need in the time frame we need it from the draft. We need a mid with some power and we ain't getting that from a kid currently studying for year 12 exams projected outside top 10.

LDU would be good next year but after his experience at North we'd want to prove to him we aren't going to turn into North
I don't know... im starting to think, let's just get the best kids we can get.. as Smith won't make us a team of contenders and our team in the coming 3-4 years won't be that

I don't know... im starting to think, let's just get the best kids we can get.. as Smith won't make us a team of contenders and our team in the coming 3-4 years won't be that
He's young enough and good enough to lead the current crop. I would argue Smith to be the missing part of the rebuild, not something that comes at a cost to it.

If you are “rebuilding” (🤮🤮) you most certainly don’t do that by picking at 13-15.

You may hit gold like but your statistically more likely to hit Cooper Stephens, Mitch Brown, Darcy Lang, Smedts, Fogerty etc

At a time when, for the first time in 20 years we have never ever needed a “hit” with this years capital more.

If you are “rebuilding” (🤮🤮) you most certainly don’t do that by picking at 13-15.

You may hit gold like but your statistically more likely to hit Cooper Stephens, Mitch Brown, Darcy Lang, Smedts, Fogerty etc

At a time when, for the first time in 20 years we have never ever needed a “hit” with this years capital more.
Ill admit if I'm wrong. But I think it might of finally caught up.. And it's reached our peak in recruiting all these top players. Which what we have done, it's been great, but I just think over the next few years, we won't be anywhere near contenders

We will have to give up our 1st round pick, and with our current team, I'd rather use that in the draft
But like, what kid are you using that pick on to make us better? We're not getting Smillie here you want a kid we can play next year it's a wing, a small forward, or a HBF. None of whom make us better.

Ill admit if I'm wrong. But I think it might of finally caught up.. And it's reached our peak in recruiting all these top players. Which what we have done, it's been great, but I just think over the next few years, we won't be anywhere near contenders
It can have caught up and Smith can be the right decision. I believe both to be true

But like, what kid are you using that pick on to make us better? We're not getting Smillie here you want a kid we can play next year it's a wing, a small forward, or a HBF. None of whom make us better.
I'm not looking for a kid to make us better for 2025.. im looking for kids to make us better for year 2028 etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is amazing how one game can change people's perception of our side.
A month ago I felt the team was well-balanced and had great depth. This game may have been an aberration, but I doubt it. It is frustrating to see players struggling to find form. They want to play because of Hawkins, but it is costing us and there is no celebration in loosing.

It is time for some of our older players to retire. We must continue to determine the potential of our untried youth and stop playing favourites.

A lot comes down to where Scott sees the list but I am sure he would have been hugely disappointed this week as we all were.

Last edited:
Because reid is about the best young player that will be traded (if he is) since judd.
I just dont realistically see a deal anywhere unless its an A grader for A grader swap (which never happens anymore) unless the afl lets some club trade 4 r1s.
You think if Reid is OOC and says he isn’t re-signing and wants to be traded to Geelong that WC will not take 3x first rounders?

WC just say nahhh and don’t make a trade and risk it all to try to keep a guy who wants out.

If a Victorian club has #1 is the PSD... WC have zero leverage and I think we'd get him for less than 3x R1s.

Last edited:
It is amazing how one game can change people's perception of our side.
A month ago I felt the team was well-balanced and had great depth. This game may have been an aberration, but I doubt it. It is frustrating to see players struggling to find form. They want to play because of Hawkins, but it is costing us and there is no celebration in loosing.

It is time for some of our older players to retire. We must continue to determine the potential of our untried youth and stop playing favourites.

A lot comes down to where Scott sees the list but I am sure he would have been hugely disappointed this week as we all were.

I think it's four games, not one, that has changed people's perceptions.

With the ruck rules as they stand we must make a play for Sean Darcy. I reckon he’d be gettable with Jackson needing more first ruck time and our guys just aren’t strong enough to wrestle with the big boys at the moment.

They wont trade him on that contract plus we wouldnt take his 6 year deal.
Besides hes a poor fit for conway as neither has fwd craft.
I agree we must get a ruck though.
Id be throwing the kitchen sink at tdk next year.

You think if Reid is OOC and says he isn’t re-signing and wants to be traded to Geelong that WC will not take 3x first rounders?

WC just say nahhh and don’t make a trade and risk it all to try to keep a guy who wants out.

If a Victorian club has #1 is the PSD... WC have zero leverage and I think we'd get him for less than 3x R1s.

No they wont because they know he wont risk the draft if he wants a trade as he wont go to a bottom club.
3 picks in the 10-15 range is overrated.
For harley they wont pick up the phone unless one of the picks is in the top 4.
It will only happen if theres an A grade player put up by the receiving club or if afl release the rules so clubs can trade say 4 r1s. I just dont see it otherwise.

Thoughts on directing J Henry towards taking this supposed band 1 offer from North if we finish low enough on the ladder?

No. A very good player in the age bracket we need, who is coming off some serious injuries and having a down season. At his peak Jack has been a Carji runner up and unlucky to miss the AA squad. There is no reason to think he won’t get back there again, and his second half yesterday was much better than he’d been for most of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back