Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

No. A very good player in the age bracket we need, who is coming off some serious injuries and having a down season. At his peak Jack has been a Carji runner up and unlucky to miss the AA squad. There is no reason to think he won’t get back there again, and his second half yesterday was much better than he’d been for most of the season.
Sounds a bit like Atkins but injury prone.

Not sure if I’d classify him as a very good player.

But I do understand your point.

We need to throw a shitload at someone like Clayton Oliver

The eagles wont trade him at all in contract. And when hes ooc he will be worth a shedload. Most clubs wont be able to come up with the currency unless they include an A grader in the trade and that rarely happens anymore.
If Carlton could come up with a trade for judd, what makes you think teams can’t for Reid??

It may well end up being something similar as a precedent. Probably closest thing to compare.. and ironically they will have a vivid remembrance of it.

If Carlton could come up with a trade for judd, what makes you think teams can’t for Reid??

It may well end up being something similar as a precedent. Probably closest thing to compare.. and ironically they will have a vivid remembrance of it.
And that was before any future pick trading had been added as an option.

Thoughts on directing J Henry towards taking this supposed band 1 offer from North if we finish low enough on the ladder?
Air traffic control to flight DBRIDGE that is negative ghost rider the pattern is full.

Go Catters

Air traffic control to flight DBRIDGE that is negative ghost rider the pattern is full.
Just throwing it out there to be spoken about... I don't think it would be on our air traffic control radar.

I do think pushing J Henry out for band 1 compo is more likely than us getting Reid before he is OOC (although both very long odds)... but we still fill plenty of space with the Ried subject.

I'm happy to just change it up and mention something that is a live threat.

North has apparently put in a big offer for Henry.
Henry is playing like a magoos player atm.
Getting a first rounder for a magoos level player wouldn't be the worst thing ever (even better if we really fall down the ladder).
Getting a first rounder for a guy that is a Geelong lad through and through + has a brother at the club is a different story... but a story worth talking about IMO... even if it's to change the subject for a brief moment.

Just because I bring something up, doesn't mean I advocate for it to happen all the time.

Just throwing it out there to be spoken about... I don't think it would be on our air traffic control radar.

I do think pushing J Henry out for band 1 compo is more likely than us getting Reid before he is OOC (although both very long odds)... but we still fill plenty of space with the Ried subject.

Getting a first rounder for a magoos level player wouldn't be the worst thing ever (even better if we really fall down the ladder).
Getting a first rounder for a guy that is a Geelong lad through and through + has a brother at the club is a different story... but a story worth talking about IMO... even if it's to change the subject for a brief moment.

Just because I bring something up, doesn't mean I advocate for it to happen all the time.

I appreciate it's just a hypothetical, but...

O. Henry came to us in part to play with his brother.

Not only would we lose a great talent for not much, but we'd be burning bridges with O. Henry too.

Carlton traded essentially 2 top 5 picks. Which team do you think will trade 2 top 5s (or equivalent player) that reid would agree to go to? (He wont want north etc)

The eagles wont trade him at all in contract. And when hes ooc he will be worth a shedload. Most clubs wont be able to come up with the currency unless they include an A grader in the trade and that rarely happens anymore.

Yeah but (sadly) we'll be without Hawkins, Tuohy, Duncan, Stanley, Cam Guthrie (potentially) maybe even Danger - there'll be plenty in the biscuit tin to satisfy contract values.

Trade value is a sticking point but the Eagles might bank on us sliding down the ladder.

All that said, I reckon the Eagles will feel like they got shafted over the Kelly deal - maybe they won't want to deal with us at all 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn. Would have been nice for Stanley to do us a solid.
Yeah but we asked him to gonagain in 24 from all reports so we can’t have it both ways

Go Catters

Any chance of a list retirement so we can get a shot at the MSD? Or have we gone past the deadline?

Have until tomorrow (Tuesday) to open a spot, with the draft on Wednesday

Im only referring to this suggestion

Go Catters

For those wondering, here's some info about the mid-season draft

Ultimate Guide to the 2024 AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft​

Broadcast details, players in the spotlight and more for the 2024 AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft
By Martin Smith
3 days ago

How many clubs have a pick? Why doesn't my club have one?​

Clubs must have a vacant list spot in order to take part and currently, only Geelong, Greater Western Sydney and Sydney are without potential vacant spots.

List vacancies can occur through a retirement or if a player suffers a long-term injury and is moved to the inactive list.

Brisbane (potentially four picks), and Richmond and Adelaide (three) are the clubs with the most vacant positions, while Carlton, Collingwood, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs all have two.

Essendon, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Melbourne, St Kilda and West Coast all have one open spot.

Clubs have until Tuesday to open a vacancy on their list.

Full article - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1135557/ultimate-guide-to-the-2024-afl-mid-season-rookie-draft

Thoughts on directing J Henry towards taking this supposed band 1 offer from North if we finish low enough on the ladder?
If we were going to finish bottom 3 and that pick gets us access to real top end talent, then maybe.

But if the pick is in the teens (as it will be), we're unlikely to get anyone better than Henry anyway

For those wondering, here's some info about the mid-season draft

Ultimate Guide to the 2024 AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft​

Broadcast details, players in the spotlight and more for the 2024 AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft
By Martin Smith
3 days ago

How many clubs have a pick? Why doesn't my club have one?​

Clubs must have a vacant list spot in order to take part and currently, only Geelong, Greater Western Sydney and Sydney are without potential vacant spots.

List vacancies can occur through a retirement or if a player suffers a long-term injury and is moved to the inactive list.

Brisbane (potentially four picks), and Richmond and Adelaide (three) are the clubs with the most vacant positions, while Carlton, Collingwood, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs all have two.

Essendon, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Melbourne, St Kilda and West Coast all have one open spot.

Clubs have until Tuesday to open a vacancy on their list.

Full article - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1135557/ultimate-guide-to-the-2024-afl-mid-season-rookie-draft
Yeah that list is pretty unexciting

Judd though I reckon was somewhat frustrated at the constant drug allegations and the Cousins situation at W.C.E, and that would have made him think it best to move away from there at that stage. Then again he was only 24 or so at the time, so quite young, same draft as Ablett, Bartel, Stevie J etc.

I appreciate it's just a hypothetical, but...

O. Henry came to us in part to play with his brother.

Not only would we lose a great talent for not much, but we'd be burning bridges with O. Henry too.
If we actively booted Jack out the door, sure.

If it was more a case of "North dropped such a sack of cash that we couldn't come close to matching it", it might be more understandable.

If we actively booted Jack out the door, sure.

If it was more a case of "North dropped such a sack of cash that we couldn't come close to matching it", it might be more understandable.
Is there an example of kicking a guy out the door that's actually worked?

It ruins the fabric of your club, particularly if they're popular amongst the playing group.

Telling Croad he had to go with McPharlin to get Hodge was probably the closest, but even then, it took 7 years to bear fruit...and they ended up getting him back anyway.

It's already looking like it backfired with Norf and McKay, and that was with a top 3 pick coming back!!

Getting rid of Jenry to pick up the next Cooper Stephens with a teens pick doesn't fill me with excitement whatsoever.

As others have said, if we were bottom 4, you could maybe open a discussion.

As it stands, we won't be, and Jack is still young enough & good enough to be apart of several more premiership campaigns at Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back