Opinion Goodes fade out in 2015???

Remove this Banner Ad

stevierayswan

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Some players you just can't get enough of, Goodsey in one of those. I really am hoping he has a stellar final season and retires on top, but I have mixed feelings about his playing on into 2015.

To play devil's advocate, what happens if Goodsey slowly peels off the pace in 2015, much like ROK did in 2014. Does he get sent back to run out his days in the reserves, trying in vain to get back in? Surely not! Does he play on, and because he is Goodes, is kept in our best 22, even though in reality he becomes a weak link and teams exploit him as a result, having the odd great game but otherwise largely ineffective? Does he realise before either of these things happen, and retire in a blaze of glory or slowly fade into retirement like LRT and others have done...

My curiosity is ultimately about how different to ROK does a player of Goodes status get treated, in the case of a fade out. ROK was a champ of the club, still is, and Goodsey is legendary, but will be interesting to see how 2015 plays out, should his body begin to fail him in a similar way. I hear him saying the exact same things that ROK said about his body last year... along the lines of "I'm feeling as good as ever, I'm as excited as i was in my first year and i still have the desire". Time will tell I guess...

If Goodes is no longer best 22 he finishes his career in the 2's. No farewell game, no fairytale ending.

Anyone who places the team above themselves would have no issue with their career ending this way. Particularly when they've chosen to go on knowing the risks.

They would probably shift him to the sub role to bring an impact to the game when it's most needed. He's not as athletic and as fit as he was 4 years ago (thanks to his crocked knees), so you won't see him running out games like he used to. Even this season he struggled to get into games quite a bit, and his season was ordinary and forgetful except for a great couple of games in the finals (too bad one was the GF).

He should be used as an impact player rather than started. It'll be great to get a 3rd forward into the line up who isn't 6ft 200 tall and can crumb the ball and kick goals. Might as well kidnap Michael Walters...

goodes was contributing in 2014, took a while to get going.but hit top form in the finals. if he doesnt have a similar impact in 2015 and falls off the pace im sure he will pull the pin himself.

he backed himself when alot of fans were questioning his impact and delivered, so I'll back him to do the right thing by the team.

2015 will almost surely be his last, so lets enjoy the spectacle, and hope father time doesnt catch up to him. itd be sad to see him run around a shadow of his former self

But to contribute to the discussion, I doubt he will be offered any concessions if he is under performing and Im not sure he would want to.

You answered your own question.
yep but was keen to hear what others thought as well. The consensus seems to be that playing him off sub will be the way to go. Not to change the subject as it's already been done in another thread, but I do wonder why ROK never got that opportunity, was he really that bad at the end? I trust and am sure Goodes will make the call based on what's best for the team, no matter which way he ends up going.

It would not surprise me if he changed his mind during the off-season, and if he does go through with his decision, it's easy to see him pulling the pin during the season if he's struggling. I cannot believe he would put himself ahead of the team when it gets down to business next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is all this 'Goodes will make the call and do what is best for the team'??

The coaching staff need to make the call on that

Even if Goodes has a few down days, at least we know he can deliver on the big stage. That's a lot more than I can say for many of our team.

Of course his every move will be scrutinised this year and any game where he fails to impact there'll be calls for his head by some. I hope those same critics are willing to admit they were wrong if he's still ripping it up come finals.

Goodes was always going to get up for his 350th and the GF.

Go back and watch the Freo game and the some before that , struggled to put on any defensive pressure what so ever and cant run out a game.

Defenders will try and expose him next season again.

Him and Shaw should never have not gone on imo

Last edited:
Id take goodes over shaw, shaw can still get the ball, he is actually not too bad for pace, but he butchers it more and more each year and his default setting under any pressure is a high up and under kick.

Yes he has a great team attitude and takes it on, but i could do that, doesnt make me a good afl player. His best is long gone, id love to be wrong, but i felt 2014 was one too many.

Gooodes needs to improve, his worst this year was not good enough, he gave 0 defense in too many games, now did he get up late for one last tilt or did his fitness finally improve. I hope a bit more surgery and a decent pre season or at least not a late start to the year mean he is capable of better pressure.

At his peak he was hardly a defensive animal lets face it, he can still hurt on the offence, which he needs to do more consistently, too many times this year he basically played a quarter of good footy.

Round 18 he kicked 4 for instance but the hawks exploited him the other way.

I am hopeful he and the swans medical staff see upward trends in his fitness, he cant hang back while blokes run off him. Provided the contract is a massive reduction then fine, he should not be on much more than 100k tho

Some players you just can't get enough of, Goodsey in one of those. I really am hoping he has a stellar final season and retires on top, but I have mixed feelings about his playing on into 2015.

To play devil's advocate, what happens if Goodsey slowly peels off the pace in 2015, much like ROK did in 2014. Does he get sent back to run out his days in the reserves, trying in vain to get back in? Surely not! Does he play on, and because he is Goodes, is kept in our best 22, even though in reality he becomes a weak link and teams exploit him as a result, having the odd great game but otherwise largely ineffective? Does he realise before either of these things happen, and retire in a blaze of glory or slowly fade into retirement like LRT and others have done...

My curiosity is ultimately about how different to ROK does a player of Goodes status get treated, in the case of a fade out. ROK was a champ of the club, still is, and Goodsey is legendary, but will be interesting to see how 2015 plays out, should his body begin to fail him in a similar way. I hear him saying the exact same things that ROK said about his body last year... along the lines of "I'm feeling as good as ever, I'm as excited as i was in my first year and i still have the desire". Time will tell I guess...

Hasn't that been happening this season?

Now with Mal gone, Goodes and Shaw playing on past their best, other youngins requesting trades, I'm not so confident we are going to be quite the force to be reckonned with in 2015 as we were (excluding the GF) in 2014.

so in essence, is Goodes and Shaw playing on, keeping others out and if so, who are they?

so in essence, is Goodes and Shaw playing on, keeping others out and if so, who are they?

Seriously, if the youngsters can't push past Goodes and Shaw who are supposedly past it, doesn't that say something about the youngsters?

As for Goodes, his straight line speed is still there and was more evident later in the season.
The only thing that will make Goodes go backwards is another injury.

Shaw will be mainly coaching the youngsters in the NEAFL unless we really need him in the seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back