Hawks to exit Tassie after 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowd of 5381 for the Hawthorn vs Brisbane game in Launceston today which is the smallest crowd for a regular season game in Tasmania.Im really interested to see what happens with the Hawks and my team North next season,do Hawks supporters believe we should move on or continue in Tasmania?
We should have moved on ten years ago. Hawthorn in Tassie has been dying a slow death for five years. Two games there was perfect. It is rediculous for a club with 60k members in Melbourne to be playing games in from of 10k in another state four times a year. It makes no sense for us to play Pies or Bombers there in normal times. That there fans outnumber us there makes it even more rediculous.
But, as long as we are led by the great all knowing Jeff, we will continue there until/unless Tassie get a team.

Lowest crowd, but there are some pretty obvious variables that caused it.

Given the Presidents are likely to vote in favour of a Tasmanian team (likely 6-7 years from actually entering though), Hawks and North are likely to be in Tassie for a little longer. Likely get 1 year deals for 4 and 3 games (per normal terms) with a rotation of decent sized Vic teams (given the success of Essendon going down there recently)
Yes definitely some good reasons for the low crowd,if they only re-sign for one year then what happens after that until we get a team in probably 7 to 10 year's time?

The AFL will keep 3 or 4 games there a year, and just rotate bigger Vic clubs

It makes sense whilst Hawthorn is rubbish but these games (against Coll, ESS, Rich, Geel, Syd, Carl) all average 60,000 at the MCG

If only we took that sweatheart deal in 2010 but we know who we can thank for that...

Hawthorn should be an anchor tenant at the MCG with Coll and Rich and not have to roll around in the muck

It makes sense whilst Hawthorn is rubbish but these games (against Coll, ESS, Rich, Geel, Syd, Carl) all average 60,000 at the MCG

If only we took that sweatheart deal in 2010 but we know who we can thank for that...

Hawthorn should be an anchor tenant at the MCG with Coll and Rich and not have to roll around in the muck
Probably better to play these big teams against North Melbourne because they average less than they do against Hawthorn.

Last edited:
They were over the moon with the Essendon / Hawks crowd and the vibe that gave Tassie footy.

It will be a thing for the lead up to a stand alone team.
I'm not sure they will play them when they have the choice to play in front of big crowds in Melbourne.

The quote in there from Kennett “It is not always about the money.” It’s also not about what’s best for the club. It’s all about Kennett.

Kennett wants us in Tasmania, so no matter how detrimental it is to us, he will keep us there as long as possible.

I'm not sure they will play them when they have the choice to play in front of big crowds in Melbourne.
Clubs make a fair bit of money playing in Tassie. Recall some news that a crowd of 20k at UTAS was equivalent to 50k at MCG

In any event, the AFL will be on a 5+ year plan to build up the new Tassie team, and each of the big Melbourne clubs will get their turn

Clubs make a fair bit of money playing in Tassie. Recall some news that a crowd of 20k at UTAS was equivalent to 50k at MCG

In any event, the AFL will be on a 5+ year plan to build up the new Tassie team, and each of the big Melbourne clubs will get their turn

Only issue we never get 20k in Tasmania and games against all these clubs always draw 50,000 plus

I mean we played Carlton in a nothing Saturday afternoon game, during Covid and drew almost 47,000

We never play Carlton at the MCG but as the 5th biggest Victorian club it’s par for course

Only issue we never get 20k in Tasmania and games against all these clubs always draw 50,000 plus

I mean we played Carlton in a nothing Saturday afternoon game, during Covid and drew almost 47,000

We never play Carlton at the MCG but as the 5th biggest Victorian club it’s par for course
My point is that its not a massive $$$ difference.

With the new Tassie team coming in, the AFL will start to bring the bigger Melb clubs to Tassie with greater frequency

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was almost accepted that the report would endorse a new team.
Wow....

If Jeff even hints that it will be us relocating, then it really will be time to march him out.

I think it was almost accepted that the report would endorse a new team.
Wow....

If Jeff even hints that it will be us relocating, then it really will be time to march him out.
It was enough the first time.

It was enough the first time.
Agreed, he was way out of line when he said that.

I dont want to jump at shadows, but it also better not mean additional games in Tas for us.
I want us back in Melb.

hawks are a big Melbourne club. Be proud

The report is perfectly orchestrated by the AFL.

1. The recommendation for an existing club to base itself from Tassie just won't happen. Everyone knows that, but it buys the AFL more time. It's a delay tactic. And the Tassie Govt want their own team, they'll never agree to it either.
2. It then puts more pressure on the Tassie Govt. AFL says, "you want a team, you fund it". Tassie know they only then get a team if they underwrite it. Which eventually they do.

AFL buys time and gets the desired outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back