Hawthorn - Do they trade into the first round this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Hawks should study what Paul Roos did at Melbourne when he came to the club very late 2013 as Melbourne's best 22 looks hugely different now than it did 3 years ago through smart trading and drafting.

Clarkson is no mug when rebuilding a squad. Obviously.

He was probably short changed by Graeme Wright

Gunston is a fair player but was made to look better with the likes of Mitchell & Lewis yanking it out of the midfield and forcing it forward. He is really struggling this year and may not have the currency that many believe he might have.

Maybe the Crows would trade for him ?? :p

To me it seems like the Hawks have put Vickery in Gunstons position... I saw gunston playing def ffs..

People act like it's some tried and true formula but the fact is the loading up on young talent through high picks in the draft route fails 95% of the time.

Our problem is Lovell has injured his shoulder and many are not aware of him and Burton taken as 1st rounders in 2015. Add to that Mitchell and O'Meara, O'Rourke came back nicely yesterday that is plenty of top end talent.

I can actually see us trading out our 2018 first rounder for Hopper and trade Frawley plus 2nd round pick for Whitfield if we land Trengove as a free agent.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our problem is Lovell has injured his shoulder and many are not aware of him and Burton taken as 1st rounders in 2015. Add to that Mitchell and O'Meara, O'Rourke came back nicely yesterday that is plenty of top end talent.

I can actually see us trading out our 2018 first rounder for Hopper and trade Frawley plus 2nd round pick for Whitfield if we land Trengove as a free agent.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Come on though, O'Rourke is not top end talent. If he turns into a solid player you'd be happy.

Very wishful thinking with those trades it who knows.

McEvoy doesn't seem to have been mentioned ... what do people think he'd be worth to a team like the Dogs who are around the mark but could clearly beef up the ruck department?

I can't see him being around for the Hawks next tilt but could be valuable to someone else for 3-4 years.

McEvoy doesn't seem to have been mentioned ... what do people think he'd be worth to a team like the Dogs who are around the mark but could clearly beef up the ruck department?

I can't see him being around for the Hawks next tilt but could be valuable to someone else for 3-4 years.
Bloke is an utter spud.

Would not be worth trading into as we have academy players & Father-Son players, trade the fringe players including Hartung.

No point....We'll go with what we've got.

We've done well with late picks in the past & will back ourselves to do the same again.

No doubt, we'll snaffle a free-agent or 2 given Mitchell & Lewy's departures & the likely departures of Gibson & Burger freeing up close to $2 million combined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I'm not looking for a first rounder... we have academy players to get & a trade done with Gold Coast.

Next gen academy players aren't eligible until the 2018 draft, which academy are you talking about?

Well this thread is a waste of time. Hawks fans are trying to pt forward answers to the OP and other fans are lining up to say that every player is s**t and the Hawks are completely ****ed. Doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

Fair enough, I only watch the Hawks sparingly ... maybe I have managed to miss his rubbish.

I watch them a lot and he isn't a "total spud". He is a 27 year old ruckman yet to hit his peak. Played very well the past two weeks.

He isn't a NIcNat or Mumford but he is far from a "total spud".

To me it seems like the Hawks have put Vickery in Gunstons position... I saw gunston playing def ffs..

Mate Gunston has regularly had spells in defence for years, including our premiership years. Most games in fact.

I get that you probably avoided watching too many Hawks games the past few years but this sort of comment just outs yourself as someone who doesn't know * all about the Hawks list.

Mate Gunston has regularly had spells in defence for years, including our premiership years. Most games in fact.

I get that you probably avoided watching too many Hawks games the past few years but this sort of comment just outs yourself as someone who doesn't know **** all about the Hawks list.

Ok mate

Well this thread is a waste of time. Hawks fans are trying to pt forward answers to the OP and other fans are lining up to say that every player is s**t and the Hawks are completely ******. Doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

I watch them a lot and he isn't a "total spud". He is a 27 year old ruckman yet to hit his peak. Played very well the past two weeks.

He isn't a NIcNat or Mumford but he is far from a "total spud".
He got his arse handed to him by Shaun ******* McKernan. If that isn't the definition of a spud then nothing is.

He got his arse handed to him by Shaun ******* McKernan. If that isn't the definition of a spud then nothing is.

Everyone's entitled to a bad day.

Big Boy was more than handy in both the 2014 & 2015 premiership sides.....Some argue he was equal B.O.G to half time, against Sydney.

He's more than earned his transfer cost already.

Everyone's entitled to a bad day.

Big Boy was more than handy in both the 2014 & 2015 premiership sides.....Some argue he was equal B.O.G to half time, against Sydney.

He's more than earned his transfer cost already.
He was average in both. I'm an unabashed basher of his, though

We had Tristan Tweedie last year in or next gen academy & we overlooked him & he went to Dogs. So I think you may have to research that again.

Yep.

Both of Tony Olango & Changbuoth Jiath are the players we have first dibs on this draft year.....Mosquito is 2018.

Add in the sons of Brereton & Langford to that list, including a F/A or 2, & things aren't looking too shabby at all....Despite all the doomsayers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back