Traded Jack Higgins [Traded to St Kilda with #21 and a Future 4th Round Pick for #17 and a Future 2nd Round Pick]

Who won this trade?

• Richmond

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For the saints i think that probably would have been a much better option

Higgins would have been on $350k at the tigers so you would think $400k x 3/4 years at the saints and with the Pies paying $300k of treloar contract leaving $600k only $200k a year difference and same draft pick would have been used. Plus Treloar would have preferred to play at the saints than the Doggies
According to an Age article Pies aren't paying anywhere near $300K PA.

Treloar would have been really nice, but apparently Ratts wants guys who can rotate between the forwardline and midfield, which is why we wanted Higgins.

We also have enough in our midfield who butcher the footy and Ratts ideally wants those who use it well out there, so another "butcher" wouldn't be ideal.

Now we can get ready to load up for a big crack at a classier Kelly/Merrett type in 12 months time, once the likes of Roberton, Dunstan and Webster and their contracts are off our books.

Good work both clubs.
Saints may have paid slight overs but thats normal to get a bloke in...both mobs seemingly did their best to honour the wishes of the guy.

Higgins contract likely been the difference in Saints getting a Treloar bargain. Thats a lot to give up. Higgins wont need it explained to him that he was preferred to a 900Kpa contracted top 25 midfielder.

A contracted bloke of Treloars class effectively left without a home with seconds left....and his preferred destination not being able to accommodate him. Pies are serious phukups. Not a Treloar fan but they really screwed him around. Always good seeing guys playing for clubs they barracked for as kids.

I'm in the minority of Richmond fans that think this was a fair deal. He's leaving for 'more opportunity yet played 43 games of a possible 60 something. That'd be more than most draftees but I'm sure watching his team mates win two flags would sting. Sounds like Saints have been in his ear for a while knowing he was a saints nuff growing up.

I couldn't see him locking down a spot in our midfield any time soon and we still have RCD, Jack Ross and Dow who are all highly rated lining up. Aarts was preferred over him late and still couldn't get a game when it counted either. I think his ideal position is half forward and he's not taking Lambert, Graham or Dustys spot. As a small forward he doesn't have the speed needed for our game style like Rioli or Castagna and we have another Rioli coming in who is rated the best pressure player in the draft.

In saying that he still has plenty of room for improvement for obvious reasons and reckon he'll be a lock for Saints 22 on a HFF and allow Gresham or Billings more time up the ground.

Win/win

I don't want to open old wounds but now that Higgins is a Saint the question could come up again.
Was there any truth to the Rance gossip or was that completely debunked.

You may be premiers Tigers but when it comes to trade week, you know who the real champs are.

Enjoy your future second for Higgs. At least we used some lube this time, rather than going in dry like we did to Adelaide. 😉
We can cry into the last two premiership cups mate...

Name a popular wag?

The Yoko Ono principle is a thing in footy. At least for fans. Strange, but whaddya do.
tbh i dont think thats true. most wags keep to themselves and noone has any problems. most people only have problems with the ones that run to twitter or gossip rags like the HUN because they think that being associated with a footy player means they should get preferential treatment (bec judd and brooke cotchin during lockdown for example) or that their opinion is suddenly more important or insightful than anyone elses.

i say most people, because there are obviously people who think that wags should neither be seen nor heard as if going out with a footy players means being put in a cage and giving up any semblance of having a normal human life (and yes, 'normal' people do post holiday photos and political statements on facebook etc). but what can you do, i dont know what to say about those kinds of people other than to ignore them.

I get the impression that Tenisha does not appear to be well liked by Tiger fans ..why would that be?
She posted a short rant on her private Instagram story in the eve of the prelim about how much noise the dogs players were making and how they should * off back to Footscray or something. That's it. As far as I know she's done nothing else, just an easy target.

I found it quite comical how people were saying I bet she's behind Jack leaving because of 1 rant on insta. Jack clearly still loved the Saints deep down.

According to an Age article Pies aren't paying anywhere near $300K PA.

Treloar would have been really nice, but apparently Ratts wants guys who can rotate between the forwardline and midfield, which is why we wanted Higgins.

We also have enough in our midfield who butcher the footy and Ratts ideally wants those who use it well out there, so another "butcher" wouldn't be ideal.

Now we can get ready to load up for a big crack at a classier Kelly/Merrett type in 12 months time, once the likes of Roberton, Dunstan and Webster and their contracts are off our books.

Edmund tweeted it's 300 x 5

And Morris said his sources agreed on the telly iirc

You may be premiers Tigers but when it comes to trade week, you know who the real champs are.

Enjoy your future second for Higgs. At least we used some lube this time, rather than going in dry like we did to Adelaide. 😉

Who essendon?

Crouch was a fa , I'm not sure if you beat Adelaide in anything?

Saints had a great season but I am not as confident for the next one as some of you. Future 2nd might be handy if it falls apart for ratten again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can cry into the last two premiership cups mate...
You clearly don't understand Saints fans, no one cares about Richmond's success we are all masochists. You can cry into all 13 cups if you want but next time you try and goat one of us maybe try a "Yo Mama" joke or whatever the incels do nowadays.

Right back to the topic at hand:
I think it was a fair trade in the end the risk/reward value seems right and from what I've read most Tiger fans have already moved on to Maurice Jr and what he will bring to the club (He is going to make more then a few players dizzy). I don't understand fans ours and other teams who need to try and claim that they "won" a trade, come back in 10 years and see how it went. For every Jack Steele there is a Andrew Lovett and for every Bachar Houli there is a Chris Yarran. The only "Bad" trades are ones that create the type of friction that we see going on Collingwood at right now.

You clearly don't understand Saints fans, no one cares about Richmond's success we are all masochists. You can cry into all 13 cups if you want but next time you try and goat one of us maybe try a "Yo Mama" joke or whatever the incels do nowadays.

Right back to the topic at hand:
I think it was a fair trade in the end the risk/reward value seems right and from what I've read most Tiger fans have already moved on to Maurice Jr and what he will bring to the club (He is going to make more then a few players dizzy). I don't understand fans ours and other teams who need to try and claim that they "won" a trade, come back in 10 years and see how it went. For every Jack Steele there is a Andrew Lovett and for every Bachar Houli there is a Chris Yarran. The only "Bad" trades are ones that create the type of friction that we see going on Collingwood at right now.
Agree with parts but still cant go past some very very 'silly' St Kilda posters that go on like a cheap rag with quotes like " Got bent over' St Kilda did Tigers over etc etc etc . Hopefully 1 day St Kilda will also get to experience a premiership or even 2 when richmond are on the decline or resetting what ever we need to call this. You will find most Richmond supporters would consider a St Kilda premiership better than most other teams winning and there supporters deserve to experience this as did the doggies in 2016.

Trade like Butler & Higgins are not really that big or that important to most tiger fans but ofcourse we still have an interest and want our team to do well or fair trade but we also know that after 3 flags in 4 years and still a team thats got the chance at 1 maybe 2 more in the next 5 years also know we will be letting some quality players leave and leave with our blessings to hopefully play major roles at other teams.
Conca , Ellis , Butler . Townsend etc doing well at other clubs actually give us pleasure and we wish them the best as we still consider them our boys as we will with Higgins even though he didnt play in a flag the kid had a major health issue that we all felt for him.

You also mentions ' No one cares about richmonds success , That might be true but you should have added but they admire it to the end.

I wouldn't call it a win/win, but we didn't get absolutely destroyed. Slight unders for what I'd hoped but I've seen far worse trades.

Am hoping all the fairness and goodwill we show other clubs and our players at the trade table comes back around. I genuinely think that's the value to us here, treat your players well and you'll see good results. We could have done a Dodoro and held Higgins to contract demanding pick 17 alone but we don't operate that way, we almost always get our players where they want to go if they ask for more opportunities.

I applaud our club’s class by letting him go and not questioning his desire to leave.

Media always blow up players that leave Richmond,when Vickery went to Hawthorn,the media all of a sudden made him out to be the next Carey.

#

Always like dealing with Richmond because it’s 2 clubs who are professional and try and get a deal done without trying to ‘win’ a trade
Really ? St Kilda seeks out a contracted player that was a 1st rounder and haggles for the required players value

I see only 1 club thats not trying to win here and happy to look after its players looking to move on and 1 team thats just looking for bargains

I wonder how professional stkilda will be if a required contracted player they took as a 1st rounder was approached and wanted to leave

How does pick #43 sound for Max King. Richmond traded for an injured and uncontracted Dion Prestia and the demand was pick #6 and Richmond paid it.

Really ? St Kilda seeks out a contracted player that was a 1st rounder and haggles for the required players value

I see only 1 club thats not trying to win here and happy to look after its players looking to move on and 1 team thats just looking for bargains

I wonder how professional stkilda will be if a required contracted player they took as a 1st rounder was approached and wanted to leave

How does pick #43 sound for Max King. Richmond traded for an injured and uncontracted Dion Prestia and the demand was pick #6 and Richmond paid it.
I mean the year before we gave up a contracted Josh Bruce and a contracted Jack Steven for no real gain, it happens.

How are you THIS bitter when you've won 3 flags?

I mean the year before we gave up a contracted Josh Bruce and a contracted Jack Steven for no real gain, it happens.
thing is though, they were both rubbish players (steven was at the time he was traded) who were at the end of their careers who you'd already had good service from, and good value for at the trade table.

higgins is a recent first round pick who played 75% of the games he was available for despite obvious medical issues to overcome, with a big career still ahead of him. you actually got better picks for the pretend footballer that is bruce than we got from you for higgins. a second round pick likely mid 30s is nowhere near fair value for higgins.

you guys knew that you had us over a barrel and so you offered us garbage that the club knew it had to accept, or risk getting less or nothing next year. the club will talk nice but undoubtedly the saints would have soured the relationship somewhat, and the next time the club might not be so accommodating.

i have nothing against the saints and wouldnt mind seeing them win a flag, i was cheering for the saints in both of the recent grand finals. however i hope you finish bottom 4 next year because that is the only way we get close to fair compensation for higgins.

thing is though, they were both rubbish players (steven was at the time he was traded) who were at the end of their careers who you'd already had good service from, and good value for at the trade table.
Bruce wasn't a "rubbish player at the end of his career" when we traded him though.

Last year he had two games where he took 7 contested marks (43 in total for the year, which is excellent) and in his last 10 games for us he kicked 23 goals, which is 50 goals for a full season pace. And of course he's already had a 50 goal season, so he was right back to his very best and it looked like working with Dermie last year on his craft had done wonders for him. Even got 2 Brownlow votes in two of those last 10 games (which are hard to come by for "non-mids").

Hence the Bulldogs signing him for 4 years, on what was rumoured to be as much as $700K PA, and hence it being described in various articles as an "absolute bargain" trade for WB.

Just because he was abysmal this year doesn't mean he was at the time he was traded.

Obviously they wouldn't have signed him for 4 years on excellent coin if the way he played this year was the norm!

Last edited:

higgins is a recent first round pick who played 75% of the games he was available for despite obvious medical issues to overcome, with a big career still ahead of him. you actually got better picks for the pretend footballer that is bruce than we got from you for higgins. a second round pick likely mid 30s is nowhere near fair value for higgins.

you guys knew that you had us over a barrel and so you offered us garbage that the club knew it had to accept, or risk getting less or nothing next year. the club will talk nice but undoubtedly the saints would have soured the relationship somewhat, and the next time the club might not be so accommodating.

i have nothing against the saints and wouldnt mind seeing them win a flag, i was cheering for the saints in both of the recent grand finals. however i hope you finish bottom 4 next year because that is the only way we get close to fair compensation for higgins.
Most Stkilda supporters saw Bruce as a required player so our only forward target wasn't a 20 year old who just came off an ACL

Back