Opinion Menegola or Constable in best 22?

Who do you want in best 22?

• Menegola

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Constable

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Both

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So does Menegola, but I'd rather play the younger guys before him.

How about you drop half a dozen other guys in our teamfor Chook before you drop Menegola who almost always does.

How about you drop half a dozen other guys in our teamfor Chook before you drop Menegola who almost always does.
IMO Menegola is not best 22 anymore and it showed in his performances late last season.

He's slow, terrible defensively and when he went forward had no impact or worse got out marked!

I'm playing just about ALL our mids ahead of him but he's not alone, I don't think Tuohy's best 22 either and I'm playing Bews, O'Connor and Clark all ahead of him as well.

IMO Menegola is not best 22 anymore and it showed in his performances late last season.

He's slow, terrible defensively and when he went forward had no impact or worse got out marked!

I'm playing just about ALL our mids ahead of him but he's not alone, I don't think Tuohy's best 22 either and I'm playing Bews, O'Connor and Clark all ahead of him as well.
I wouldn’t be judging his performance last year under injury, he should have a solid pre season and be back to his best.

in any case Chook has to earn his spot just like everyone else in the side, we can’t just gift games on the back of the players age.

Menegola had only 12 games last season; wasn’t always him holding Constable out of the team.
Yeah but Constable played games early and even got a rising star nom before being dropped.

I'm just saying if it's between Constable and Menegola I'm picking Constable.

Yeah but Constable played games early and even got a rising star nom before being dropped.

I'm just saying if it's between Constable and Menegola I'm picking Constable.

But they played together at that period

Also not sure they are competing for the same spot - Constable is a genuine inside mid, while Menegola tends to be more a high half forward who runs though the midfield

I wouldn’t be judging his performance last year under injury, he should have a solid pre season and be back to his best.

in any case Chook has to earn his spot just like everyone else in the side, we can’t just gift games on the back of the players age.
Yeah but strange I don't think Menegola has been best 22 for a while and last year just confirmed that for me regardless of preparation.

I think other midfielders have gone past him and while I don't think Constable is best 22 yet, for me he plays before Menegola.

But they played together at that period

Also not sure they are competing for the same spot - Constable is a genuine inside mid, while Menegola tends to be more a high half forward who runs though the midfield
So which HF's spot is he taking next year; Dahlhaus, Rohan, Ablett or Miers?

Bear in mind that for the first half of the season when we were moving the ball so efficiently we had the best forwardline in the comp.

For me he's a midfielder who pushes forward yet isn't in our best 22.

Last edited:
So which HF's spot is he taking next year; Dahlhaus, Rohan, Ablett or Miers?

Bear in mind that for the first half of the season when we were moving the ball so efficiently we had the best forwardline in the comp.

For me he's a midfielder who pushes forward yet isn't in our best 22.

And Sam played the 1st 7 games - so he was a big part of that forward half efficiency early in the year

Rotation off the bench...Menegola will push up into the midfield but I don't remember him being a regular at centre bounces, at least not at senior level. I agree that his first couple of senior games after injury weren't great, I was calling for him to be dropped to the VFL - but he returned too soon & should have spent longer in the VFL to regain fitness as he was a much more valuable contributor in finals.

When we look at his 3 previous seasons with us he has ave:
2016: 24 disposals, 0.8 goals & 3.8 tackles
2017: 23.9 disposals, 0.8 goals & 5.9 tackles
2018: 23.6 disposals, 1 goal & 4.5 tackles

If Menegola is fit and recaptures the form of his 3 previous seasons, he's a best 22 player - but if he has a poor season then he should find himself in the VFL as should happen with any of the player who is out of form

As for Rohan & Ablett, I believe they should be starting deeper - Rohan isn't a half forward, he's better value to the team playing closer to goal

Yeah but strange I don't think Menegola has been best 22 for a while and last year just confirmed that for me regardless of preparation.

I think other midfielders have gone past him and while I don't think Constable is best 22 yet, for me he plays before Menegola.
The club had serious concerns about Chook’s fitness he was always gassed out in the 3rd or the 4th

Why you are focussing on Mengola who played limited games last year and was mostly injuired and is not competing for the same spot as Chook I have no idea.

if chook was good enough he would had played more games ...end of the story

And Sam played the 1st 7 games - so he was a big part of that forward half efficiency early in the year

Rotation off the bench...Menegola will push up into the midfield but I don't remember him being a regular at centre bounces, at least not at senior level. I agree that his first couple of senior games after injury weren't great, I was calling for him to be dropped to the VFL - but he returned too soon & should have spent longer in the VFL to regain fitness as he was a much more valuable contributor in finals.

When we look at his 3 previous seasons with us he has ave:
2016: 24 disposals, 0.8 goals & 3.8 tackles
2017: 23.9 disposals, 0.8 goals & 5.9 tackles
2018: 23.6 disposals, 1 goal & 4.5 tackles

If Menegola is fit and recaptures the form of his 3 previous seasons, he's a best 22 player - but if he has a poor season then he should find himself in the VFL as should happen with any of the player who is out of form

As for Rohan & Ablett, I believe they should be starting deeper - Rohan isn't a half forward, he's better value to the team playing closer to goal
Fair enough, I just think both offensively and especially defensively he has no influence on games and would rather see kids get opportunities head of him.

That's my stance right now, but I'm more than happy to be proven wrong and we're winning.

Fair enough, I just think both offensively and especially defensively he has no influence on games and would rather see kids get opportunities head of him.

That's my stance right now, but I'm more than happy to be proven wrong and we're winning.
All well and good to want the kids to get more game time , but they need to earn it and not be gifted it for the sake of it.

it does the club and the kids no good just to be gifted games when they are not ready or do not have the fitness or the skills to be in the side.

we are not the GC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club had serious concerns about Chook’s fitness he was always gassed out in the 3rd or the 4th

Why you are focussing on Mengola who played limited games last year and was mostly injuired and is not competing for the same spot as Chook I have no idea.

if chook was good enough he would had played more games ...end of the story
Yeah well that's where we disagree because I think they are fighting for the same spot and that's a midfield rotation bench spot at best.

Yeah well that's where we disagree because I think they are fighting for the same spot and that's a midfield rotation bench spot at best.
If that was correct it would show how far behind chook is fitness wise to not be picked ahead of an injuired player

and they were both missing out of the side at the same time for most of the year, so it’s a bit strange to say they are fighting for the same spot.

All well and good to want the kids to get more game time , but they need to earn it and not be gifted it for the sake of it.

it does the club and the kids no good just to be gifted games when they are not ready or do not have the fitness or the skills to be in the side.

we are not the GC
Like I said I don't think either Menegola or Constable are best 22 right now but if I had to choose between the two I'm choosing Constable.

Like I said I don't think either Menegola or Constable are best 22 right now but if I had to choose between the two I'm choosing Constable.
Menegola can be played along the wing , Chook would be more inside so he’s up against Joel and Stevens.

he will have to earn his spot as Menegola is a best 22 for now

If that was correct it would show how far behind chook is fitness wise to not be picked ahead of an injuired player

and they were both missing out of the side at the same time for most of the year, so it’s a bit strange to say they are fighting for the same spot.
No it's not, they're both slow inside midfielders who can win the ball and are both competing against other inside mids who have a better spread.

Correct if I'm wrong and I mean this sincerely as I'm not 100% bit didn't Menegola get dropped after the Carlton game for putting in a putrid performance both offensively and defensively?

I couldn't be anymore clearer on this; If I have one spot to fill I'm taking Constable over Menegola.

Menegola can be played along the wing , Chook would be more inside so he’s up against Joel and Stevens.

he will have to earn his spot as Menegola is a best 22 for now
That's your opinion and I respect that, so please respect mine.

That's your opinion and I respect that, so please respect mine.
I am

Menegola is picked every time even after an injury lay off, Chook has been overlooked due to fitness and defensive issues.

sorry but that’s how the MC sees the list at the moment, Chook may well push others out of the side and that will be due to him earning a spot.

I am

Menegola is picked every time even after an injury lay off, Chook has been overlooked due to fitness and defensive issues.

sorry but that’s how the MC sees the list at the moment, Chook may well push others out of the side and that will be due to him earning a spot.
What happened to us, we normally agree on everything:eek:

Chook has the potential to be best 22...he’s not there yet

which is why I’m adamant that he earns his spot , regardless of how everyone feels about Menegola he’s best 22 despite his flaws.
The one thing we do agree on is that 'Chook' is not best 22 yet.

Back