Banter RDT 152 - Name for Sale

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must support all the praise for Afterlife, but the first two episodes take a bit of toughing it through. Totally worth it though.

My dirty little secret like however I first saw on an international flight (remember them??)
Anyone get into Happy?

I must support all the praise for Afterlife, but the first two episodes take a bit of toughing it through. Totally worth it though.

My dirty little secret like however I first saw on an international flight (remember them??)
Anyone get into Happy?

Love it. Devo that it was cancelled, hopefully someone else picks it up because I need that Halloween season.

Christopher Meloni does comedy so well. He’s great in Wet Hot American Summer too.

On the subject of Alison Brie, anyone else watched Bojack Horseman?

Definitely not for everyone, it's incredibly dark at times, but I'm half way through the last season and I love it. One of my all time favourites as long as they don't do a HIMYM at the end

I felt as though the show didn’t go far enough in the end (in terms of its themes and whatnot) - it seemed to me that they planned to go for at least one more season (past 6), and Netflix screwed them over by cancelling them.

Man SoFi stadium while looking incredible would make a fascinating documentary series a few years down the track with how Kroenke managed to first move the Rams from St.Louis to LA beating the Raiders to the punch, and then sort out that stadium deal in the midst of COVID19 and now having the Chargers as their minor-tenant.

--------------

Finished a trip around the Wheatbelt yesterday, definitely recommend to anyone else who wants to take a trip these holidays.

The Barna Mia Nocturnal experience is A+ in Dryandra (about 1.5-2hrs inland from Perth) as well as doing the Wave Rock things.

It is funny, I grew up in rural WA and didn't really appreciate the walks and touristy stuff until I had left for 10 years.

Man SoFi stadium while looking incredible would make a fascinating documentary series a few years down the track with how Kroenke managed to first move the Rams from St.Louis to LA beating the Raiders to the punch, and then sort out that stadium deal in the midst of COVID19 and now having the Chargers as their minor-tenant.

--------------

Finished a trip around the Wheatbelt yesterday, definitely recommend to anyone else who wants to take a trip these holidays.

The Barna Mia Nocturnal experience is A+ in Dryandra (about 1.5-2hrs inland from Perth) as well as doing the Wave Rock things.

It is funny, I grew up in rural WA and didn't really appreciate the walks and touristy stuff until I had left for 10 years.

Any photos?

So if you want to feel old, this is what the Old El Paso girl looks like now (16 years later)

371e234062aef44205c3f045dd2f5f77
3e3fdfb55a3682f3724cb945310059f3

So if you want to feel old, this is what the Old El Paso girl looks like now (16 years later)

371e234062aef44205c3f045dd2f5f77
3e3fdfb55a3682f3724cb945310059f3
This would be a bad time to say "Why can't we have both" yeah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone watched McMillions?

Loved it. It's such a crazy story and the characters involved are so ridiculous. You really feel for the uninvolved regular people who lose their jobs at the end, but otherwise, I was cheering the con on.

Doug Matthews is such a character, would love to have a beer with that guy or that unrepentant coke dealer.

It's on my list, haven't gotten round to it. Have heard its great, and seems to be on Binge.
Also a few weeks into replacing Foxtel with Binge/Kayo. Almost the same functionality for around $60 per month less.

I don't know anything about Binge. What's the go with that?

Loved it. It's such a crazy story and the characters involved are so ridiculous. You really feel for the uninvolved regular people who lose their jobs at the end, but otherwise, I was cheering the con on.

Doug Matthews is such a character, would love to have a beer with that guy or that unrepentant coke dealer.

Doug Matthews is a loose unit! I'm only a couple of eps in but he made his mark in the opening episode alone.

I don't know anything about Binge. What's the go with that?

Doug Matthews is a loose unit! I'm only a couple of eps in but he made his mark in the opening episode alone.
Its Foxtels streaming service. Basically got most of its content (including HBO) available to stream. Has a fair chunk of movies as well.

******* hell. Chaos abounds in the EFL. This is a long post but worth the ride.

Wigan, owned for decades by a very decent local businessman and built from League Two up to the Premier League, are sold last year to a Chinese company (registered in the Cayman Islands of course). Said company is run by a bloke who made his money in professional gambling.

The Chinese company owned Wigan for a year, until one month ago when they sold to another Chinese company registered in the Cayman Islands. This company has a surprisingly similar makeup as the first, and it’s very clear that it’s just a shell company. They were founded in January 2020, by the same founder as the first. After some dividing of shares, last week, a new majority owner was appointed, and was ticked off by the league as having enough money to run the club.

Onto the pitch now - it’s Christmas, and Wigan find themselves deep in a relegation battle. It’s clear as day they’ll need a miracle to turn it around. January 1 hits, and suddenly they can’t lose. Like. At all. So much so that this team that was destined for relegation is now top of the form ladder, the best club in the league in 2020. They surge out of relegation and back into the safety of mid table. Too far gone to trouble the playoffs, but definitely safe and ready to keep winning until the season ends.

Back to the board room. Last week, the new majority shareholder took over. This week, despite having been approved just seven days ago, the new owner plunges the club into voluntary administration. They have plenty of valuable players to cover any debts, own their stadium, their training ground and several plots of land in the city. They have assets coming out the ass, and far and away enough to settle any costs of running the club, ignoring of course that the new majority owner also has the money to cover these debts himself. Nonetheless, the owner of one week chooses to put the club into administration for some reason, which carries with it a 12 point deduction for the team as per EFL rules. Wigan are now plummeted to the foot of the table, four points away from safety.

Now comes the newest twist. Footage has today emerged of the league chairman confirming that he has heard a rumour of a very large wager being placed on Wigan to be relegated, a few weeks before the sale went through. Wigan have been flying, were largely safe at the time and in red hot form. There are strong gambling ties all throughout both recent companies involved with the club. The bet was supposedly placed in the Philippines. Wigan’s shirt sponsor is a gambling company based in the Philippines.

The current owner has since done a runner and cannot be reached by the league or the appointed administrators dealing with the clubs debts. Nobody knows where he is, and nobody is in charge of the club. There are reports he may not even exist, as there is no trace of him online outside of his status as Wigan owner. His listed address has turned out to be a department store. This bloke bought the club for £45mil last week, then plunged it into administration seven days later and has disappeared. On top of all of the gambling speculation, Wigan have a recent history of people being thrown out of their stadium for illegally transmitting info to gamblers in Hong Kong.

There’s enough games left that if Wigan stay s**t hot they may climb out of the hole the points deduction has left them in, but news like this could equally knock them out of their stride.

Tl;dr - The Championship is by far the most interesting league in the world and, if it wasn’t for the ridiculous cash influx that comes with promotion, I would never ever ever want to support a club outside it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back