Preview Round 10, 2020: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Thursday 6th August, 8:10PM AEST *RYDER 250TH*

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 49 94.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stats and feedback kernelT .

People won't have a go at long if he has an average game but they will 4 Savage
Savage omitted. - Brett Ratten

I will go with the AFL coach. Hopefully we can offload Savage at year end.

yup

poor effective kicks stat for player people don't really like = damning
poor effective kicks stat for player people think is a superstar = irrelevant
Watching the game instead of the cherry picked stat's sheet = priceless
Turnovers are what I'm looking at and after that game savage is number one in the league for turnovers per game.

I agree though, we have very handy depth in defence but I'm excited to see these young stars in this new ratten team and how high they can go.

We can argue the stats re Long and Savage till the cows come home, but at this stage I’m going with Ratts.

He’s done very little wrong thus far.

Yep as am i.

Something nobody is mentioning is the 1% work that Long does THIS year. All the pressure acts around the ball and man, the knock ons and deft touches don't record a stat and in my opinion he has been elite in this area. Stats be damned, watch the game and Long has it all over Savage. Most of his games this year i have had him in my best five on the ground.

Savage like Sinclair is a victim of the Richo era but unlike Sinclair he doesn't have age on his side. He's still borderline best 22 material but probably won't get a look in until someone falls over.

Yep as am i.

Something nobody is mentioning is the 1% work that Long does THIS year. All the pressure acts around the ball and man, the knock ons and deft touches don't record a stat and in my opinion he has been elite in this area. Stats be damned, watch the game and Long has it all over Savage. Most of his games this year i have had him in my best five on the ground.

Savage like Sinclair is a victim of the Richo era but unlike Sinclair he doesn't have age on his side. He's still borderline best 22 material but probably won't get a look in until someone falls over.
If you have rated him as top 5 in most games he's played this year then you have been overrating his output.

He hasn't been bad by any stretch but dont overstate playing okay to good as being a highly influential player every week.

Also, whats this 'victim of the Richo era' crap? Savage came to us as a fringe half forward/wing and turned into a reliable and consistent half back. What's he actually a victim of? Being turned into a regular AFL player? And now he is a few months off 30 and been replaced in the side by 20 year old first round draft picks. The natural cycle of an AFL player and what happens to the majority of players out there.

Yep as am i.

Besides all that, Long has only played as a hbf for about 6 games.
He’s tough, aggressive and prepared to take the game on.
Yes, he’s got to be a little more careful regarding giving away frees and how he attacks the ball, but I’m very happy to have him learn on the job the way Gresh, Clark, Coffield and Paton have. Because they are the future of the club.

Savage omitted. - Brett Ratten

I will go with the AFL coach. Hopefully we can offload Savage at year end.
While I agree with you, appealing to authority rather than logic isn't the most effective way of making the case. That's a key reason why forums like this exist, so that others can form and provide their views based on the available evidence.

Last edited:
Think all teams have an official name that may or may not include the nickname part.
Ours is just St Kilda the same as Port Adelaide and North Melbourne don't have the nickname.

St Kilda Saints sounds a bit weird

Thanks for the reply. I only noticed because gold coast are gold coast suns in the team list

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Obvious inclusions. The cool, calm and collected sublimely skilled Clark to get more midfield minutes, the honey badger Long at half back...and Membrey's stunt double Kent (has anyone else heard the commentators stuff these two guys up ad-infinitum) to snag two goals out of nothing.
Love it.

Just a note on Parker. Agree with a couple of other comments. He seems on the outer fringes with the group. Looks deflated. Hope it turns around for him.
In some of our games Membery just seems to be all over the ground - lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Savage was awful. I’ve only watched half the replay and all of his kicks bar one were at least 40m long and 40m high which ended up in opposition hands. Very happy to see Long back....just no silly free kicks in the back half please :D
I don't think Sav played that badly - was pretty good defensively but did definitely bomb it as long as he could most of the time he got it. Had plenty of mates with him in the 3rd qtr tho. But that isn't really the point, because Long does try and break the game open and open up the angles. Also Long is young and will be playing with our other 22/23 year olds hopefully for another 8-10 years so even if their output was the same, you would still prefer Long in the team. Sav may be stiff not to be named as an emergency, but would basically no hope of getting in the 22 from the emergency list anyway.

I watch plenty of games but never heard you or anyone else mention it prior to Roo stating it publicly.

Sav is not a star but he's a good player that has other strengths that contribute to the team.
Really? I've seen it constantly not only here but other places about the Sav bomb to nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back