Prediction Round 13: Changes Vs Port Adelaide + Pre-match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if there was a Peel game this weekend, given the comments around Darcy being a lock to play if he hadnt got injured then the changes would have been

In: Darcy, Bennell, Hill, Logue

Out: Bewly, Duman, AP, Cox

Given there isnt a game for Peel

In: Hill, Logue

Out: Duman, AP

All things going well, the week after

In: Bennell, Darcy

Out: Bewly, Cox (unless he plays well against Port in which case we'll drop someone else to bring in Darcy since we have preferred a 3 tall set-up where possible)

Wait, people really think Bennell is going to play against Port?

I’d like to see him in. He’s played 2 wafl games at midfield minutes- surely we don’t want him just kicking around at Peel for too much longer? Bloke is a gun and he’s running out of time- gotta roll the dice and see how he goes imo.

I’d like to see him in. He’s played 2 wafl games at midfield minutes- surely we don’t want him just kicking around at Peel for too much longer? Bloke is a gun and he’s running out of time- gotta roll the dice and see how he goes imo.
Everyone wants him to be in (including me).

Who actually thinks he will be? Surely nobody?

Not sure why everyone is keen to move Lobb out of Ruck. I was very keen on persisting with Darcy early in the year, but given we've gone the Lobb route and he is playing very well, why not continue it until Darcy forces his way in, particularly as we have Port (dual attack), Gawn, Kreuzer in the next month.

I've come around to this way of thinking too.

Lobb's 19 possessions against Collingwood and Richmond are career high numbers for him, and as ruckman he can take his marks reading the transition of opposition play. Playing as a forward, he's reliant solely on us getting the ball to him and having to deal with defenders who organize to prevent him from getting a run at the contest. What we might gain with better ruck clearances at the stoppages by adding another ruckman, we might lose in around the ground play and forward line pressure.

Port are down on some personal at the moment looking at their line up from the weekend. I've only seen them play the one game against West Coast - but currently have some first choice midfielders out in Ebert, Rockliff, Wines ( not sure what the view on Harlett is - and how can you not include the great man Mr Cam "Plug and Play" Sutcliffe)- adding to their forward issues with Dixon and Watts missing. Have to check their injury list when it comes out today.

Logue ,S. Hill comes ...for Pearce and one of Duman, Hughes, Bewley, Switkowski (all unlucky)

Last edited:
Logue in for Pearce will be the only change IMO, the ideal situation would be that these changes are made within the month.
In: Darcy, Logue, S Hill, Bennell
Out: Cox, Pearce, Duman, Bewley

IN Hill, Darcy, Logue
OUT Cerra/Bewley, Cox, Pearce

Hill will not play for peel, straight in for mine. I feel Cerra needs only a short stint at WAFL- not totally convinced myself as he had a ripper 1st qtr against Bris so if they want to keep Cerra in Bewley would be the unlucky one, imo Bewley deserves to be in over Cerra for now so I think in a week or 2 (unless he's tearing it up) he would come back out for Cerra as soon as he's taken his medicine at Peel. Just a refocus/refresh for Cerra, he is def long term quality for us.

Wines & Rockliffe are both tests this week so I imagine they get up. Dixon plays Sanfl this weekend but will be surprised if they bring him over to Perth off a longterm foot/leg injury.

Port are a hard running and experienced team, not sure it's wise if we bring in 2 or more guys who will face possible minutes restrictions. I think it's going to be Logue for Pearce and then maaaybe one of Darcy/Hill/Bennell. we'll get beat if we bring in 3-4 guys who are coming in with limited match fitness

Did Fyfe play WAFL after his injury lay offs? Hill has passed all his KPI,s so he plays seniors imo.
No. But S.Hill's not Fyfe and he's also broken down two years in a row with injury ruining his last two years. Last season Hill was hardly dominating before injury. For mine he's lost a bit of touch from his best form in recent times. I dont really mind either way, but my preferance would be to give him a game at least at wafl level to work on touch and gaining confidence in his body before returning at afl level.

if Duman one-grabs his juggled marking attempts last game, he becomes a very good player in the game.
He got to the right spots to intercept, but didn't mark cleanly (he got first touch, then was about to grab on the second bite, when he was spoiled)
I wasn't his biggest fan, but if he clears that up, he becomes very good for us.

if Duman one-grabs his juggled marking attempts last game, he becomes a very good player in the game.
He got to the right spots to intercept, but didn't mark cleanly (he got first touch, then was about to grab on the second bite, when he was spoiled)
I wasn't his biggest fan, but if he clears that up, he becomes very good for us.
I liked Duman's ball use and composure prior to this year but was genuinely worried about his ability to actually defend. He has surprised me with his reading of the play and body work this year. He is better than I thought he was. Think he can be genuinely good.

I liked Duman's ball use and composure prior to this year but was genuinely worried about his ability to actually defend. He has surprised me with his reading of the play and body work this year. He is better than I thought he was. Think he can be genuinely good.
I was in the same boat. His defensive work has gotten 100x better and I think it has a lot of room for growth. His biggest issue is strength IMO and you can see he could put on another 6kgs of muscle if his body allows.

Could turn into a very good player for us if he keeps his current trajectory

Could turn into a very good player for us if he keeps his current trajectory
I am a big fan of limited players who continue to improve. It shows character, and while they may not become stars, they are committed to winning their position, and willingness to sacrifice their game for the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully they all make it back. 4 players coming back that haven't played at AFL level for an extended period is a recipe for diaster.

We would have a big advantage in the last qtr.
Charlie Dixon? He ll come in, now we have no Pearce. They would want to stretch our defence.
We could well do the same with Hill, Bennell and Logue. So hopefully not st once against Port

Charlie Dixon? He ll come in, now we have no Pearce. They would want to stretch our defence.
We could well do the same with Hill, Bennell and Logue. So hopefully not st once against Port
Charlie hasn't been playing though. At least Logue and Bennell have had some wafl time.

Hasn't Meek been played in defence in the wafl. Surely that's not going to happen?

Last edited:
Hopefully they all make it back. 4 players coming back that haven't played at AFL level for an extended period is a recipe for disaster.

We would have a big advantage in the last qtr.
I would also throw in the bye-effect there too. More rustiness to add to the disruption of having a week off. They'll probably think it through and not bring them all in at once.

Pies still had no Elliot, cox, langdon and wells if you count him.
Cox isn't ahead of B.Reid apparently. Wells would have run out of gas. Langdon is interchangeable with whomever they replaced him with. Beams shouldn't have played (their problem).

And Adams. With Beams evidently playing severely hampered. They were massively below full strength.
I reckon we were hampered more then them.
first choice ruck - Sandi, Darcy
Forward - Tabs
Mids - S Hill, Bennell
Backs - No Pearce from mid way through the third

Remove this Banner Ad

Back