Review The Dumb, the Soft and the Ugly vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

As part of the 5% who weren't, Im comforted by the fact that, contracted or not, we can still trade him. Although why the hell we didnt send him up to the Lions with their $750k offer, for some sort of deal involving Rockliff, actually blows my mind.
We can??

Contracts work both ways.

We can trade a contracted player only if they agree was my understanding.

"In last year’s finals Jenkins struggled to translate solid home and away form into a meaningful September contribution. After kicking two goals from five kicks in the elimination final victory over North Melbourne, the 28-year-old mustered two kicks and no goals in a bitterly disappointing performance in the semi-final loss to Sydney. He totaled 12 disposals and five marks from two finals appearances."

My recollection of that Sydney game is that not one damn Crow showed up from ball up

It was a colossal mess of a game that every single player shared culpability in.

Look JJ hasn't played particularly well this season--we all know that.

But I will be damned if I turn on him because some ex-Geelong guy cherry picks the moment after a win to lay waste to him.

His form in the game was no worse than it's been all season. The form of other players was far worse in that game.

McGrath may think he has "discovered" something--but the unnecessary shots he takes smells of a major undisclosed agenda to me.

Sorry, I go with the old--I can complain about my team but I will be damned if I allow an outsider--especially an outsider from a team that just beat us to pile on.

Screw McGrath and what he thinks he "knows".

My recollection of the game is that not one damn Crow showed up from ball up

It was a colossal mess of a game that every single player shared culpability in.

But I will be damned if I turn on him because some ex-Geelong guy cherry picks the moment after a win to lay waste to him.

His form in the game was no worse than it's been all season. The form of other players was far worse in that game.

McGrath may think he has "discovered" something--but the unnecessary shots he takes smells of a major undisclosed agenda to me.

Sorry, I go with the old--I can complain about my team but I will be damned if I allow an outsider--especially an outsider from a team that just beat us to pile on.

Actually Matt Crouch was probably our best against Sydney and again against Geelong. Don't think he shared nearly as much culpability as some of the more "sexy" players on either occasion. We know who they are clearly now.

Actually Matt Crouch was probably our best against Sydney and again against Geelong. Don't think he shared nearly as much culpability as some of the more "sexy" players on either occasion. We know who they are clearly now.

Agreed on Geelong, really think he battled hard on the weekend.

Sydney I'd have to rewatch to comment for sure.

Ehh when you get your ass handed to you in manner we did--nobody gets credit in my book.

It's funny, McGrath is apparently "concerned" with how much $$ we are paying out on contracts. That is so very "thoughtful" of him to be worried about our salaries.

But what it really tells me is there is an agenda here--because nobody gives two shits what other teams spend. If they spend poorly what do we care??

No there is an ax being grinded here.

Can smell it all the way in America

Ehh when you get your ass handed to you in manner we did--nobody gets credit in my book.

It's funny, McGrath is apparently "concerned" with how much $$ we are paying out on contracts. That is so very "thoughtful" of him to be worried about our salaries.

But what it really tells me is there is an agenda here--because nobody gives two shits what other teams spend. If they spend poorly what do we care??

No there is an ax being grinder here.

I disagree, what it shows is what players consistently stand up when the heat goes up and those that don't.

I disagree, what it shows is what players consistently stand up when the heat goes up and those that don't.

Funny, Tex was absent in Sydney and Geelong games.

Don't see McGrath "discovering" that.

We will disagree on the agenda at play here

Agreed on Geelong, really think he battled hard on the weekend.

Sydney I'd have to rewatch to comment for sure.

Matt was our best against Sydney - had a tonne of it in the first quarter, but did burn it a bit. But there was no sense of him being overawed at all - just rushed because he was the only Crows who could get his hands on the ball

AFL site:
M. Crouch, Laird, Sloane, Atkins, Thompson
Tiser:
M. Crouch, Sloane, Laird, Cameron, Atkins.
M Crouch, Sloane, Cameron, Thompson, Betts

Matt was our best against Sydney - had a tonne of it in the first quarter, but did burn it a bit. But there was no sense of him being overawed at all - just rushed because he was the only Crows who could get his hands on the ball

AFL site:
M. Crouch, Laird, Sloane, Atkins, Thompson
Tiser:
M. Crouch, Sloane, Laird, Cameron, Atkins.
M Crouch, Sloane, Cameron, Thompson, Betts

Thanks for that. I had a feeling Bicks was right from my memory of it, but honestly I don't trust myself to see clearly through the rage I had at the time.

There's a fairly smug front-runner element around Kardinia Park at the moment, AC. I noticed Ling breaking off his Dangerwood love-fest to say we had a "so-called great forward line".

For a club that can go missing nearly as quickly as we can, and who vanished out of their preliminary final even faster than we did in the semi, they are remarkably self-assured.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a fairly smug front-runner element around Kardinia Park at the moment, AC. I noticed Ling breaking off his Dangerwood love-fest to say we had a "so-called great forward line".

For a club that can go missing nearly as quickly as we can, and who vanished out of their preliminary final even faster than we did in the semi, they are remarkably self-assured.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What right do we have to be upset with this? We had our opportunity to shut them up and failed.

The school bully tends to find he's able to get away with a few insults whilst collecting lunch money.

What right do we have to be upset with this? We had our opportunity to shut them up and failed.

The school bully tends to find he's able to get away with a few insults whilst collecting lunch money.
We're still allowed to call him a campaigner under our breath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all the talk on the TV about the jumper punch I am surprised that no one else has commented (perhaps they have and I just didn't read it) on the reaction from B Crouch.

One thing I have commented on with our side is that we have no real aggression at the ball or on the opposition player. Its something we lack especially as other sides do have players that are really tough at the ball. Selwood, Vince, Ziebell they are simply unrelenting. When you watch the replay of M Crouch getting hit its the reaction or lack of reaction from Matts brother Brad that surprises me. No real push and shove, nothing. Is this another demonstration of our lack of aggression.

With all the talk on the TV about the jumper punch I am surprised that no one else has commented (perhaps they have and I just didn't read it) on the reaction from B Crouch.

One thing I have commented on with our side is that we have no real aggression at the ball or on the opposition player. Its something we lack especially as other sides do have players that are really tough at the ball. Selwood, Vince, Ziebell they are simply unrelenting. When you watch the replay of M Crouch getting hit its the reaction or lack of reaction from Matts brother Brad that surprises me. No real push and shove, nothing. Is this another demonstration of our lack of aggression.
The umpire was what 2 metres away, all that would have done was give Geelong a certain free kick mark my words....as opposed to the one Matty should have got.

Could it be that because Danger has all the info on his old team mates as well as knowing the coaching group - it's this info that makes us look predictable ?

Just a thought but could explain the fact that they seem to be the one team that constantly has it over us.

Let's not forget, Cats lost to Bombers and Suns and only just scraped over the line at home against Port and a wounded Bulldogs

The fact the game was against Adelaide is the only reason the result has been so "great" for Geelong and so "s**t" for us.

Personally I look at the draw, see that game at Kardinia Park and write it off.

Even at Adelaide's Oval, Danger knows exactly how we will play and any plan B's or even C's,

You don't need inside info to know what we're going to do - we've done it the last few times, and we actually said we wouldn't do anything different (see arrogant Campo on the radio); most of us just thought it was smoke and mirrors, as we couldn't possibly be that stupid....

The only disappointing thing is Geelong backing off - it would've been better for us to lose by 10+ goals.

My recollection of that Sydney game is that not one damn Crow showed up from ball up

Couple of things, for context:

1) McGrath was one of the best defenders of his era
2) We played on Friday night in front of a national audience. It's a quirk of the AFL world that the main media do not pay any attention to non Victorian teams, and usually just spit out generic rhetoric based on irrelevant things rather than any deep analysis. So when you play on a Friday night, people are actually seeing you properly, rather than a 5 minute highlight package.

I think McGrath was spot on and I think his opinion is worthwhile.

As I said before, he was at one point last year, being praised as one of the best forward/rucks in the league and an absolute must signing for us.

That's the media in general though. Pump you up when you're going well and then tear you down the moment some struggles hit. Crows team as a whole is hitting that now. David King saying we're unbeatable and easy flag favourites now says we got major issues to work out.

As I said before, he was at one point last year, being praised as one of the best forward/rucks in the league and an absolute must signing for us.

That's the media in general though. Pump you up when you're going well and then tear you down the moment some struggles hit. Crows team as a whole is hitting that now. David King saying we're unbeatable and easy flag favourites now says we got major issues to work out.
I dont think anyone said that. His 60 odd goals weren't celebrated.

Couple of things, for context:

1) McGrath was one of the best defenders of his era
2) We played on Friday night in front of a national audience. It's a quirk of the AFL world that the main media do not pay any attention to non Victorian teams, and usually just spit out generic rhetoric based on irrelevant things rather than any deep analysis. So when you play on a Friday night, people are actually seeing you properly, rather than a 5 minute highlight package.

I think McGrath was spot on and I think his opinion is worthwhile.

I understand he was a great player...I simply don't care.

I am telling you this guy has an agenda specific to JJ as we can agree that there are other (and I would argue MORE prominent) players on our list that have not performed against the top squads.

Does anyone really think JJ is the reason we lost the game?

Sorry Feenix--on this one we part ways.

Yep..no question we are in a more off form than not the last month of footy. I can't argue that. I just don't give a rip what some bloke out of Geelong thinks. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back