Roast The Ugly v The Bulldogs, Round 7

Remove this Banner Ad

The game looked a bit like the Crows of yester years.
well done to the dogs for the pressure they applied.
But as in the past, our senior players go missing when the heat is on.
The performance of experienced players in Thommo, Douglas and Mackay was disgraceful.
These guys have been around for a long time and I feel are part of the reason we continue to fail on big occasions.
I was hoping our midfield set up was going to improving with Pyke but it is still very much a work in progress.
And Walker, got into good positions, but just couldn't hold on to anything, was so frustrating.

Yes. Vintage players like Thompson need to be judged on the hard, tough, everything is going against us games - not the run of the mill everybody played well victories. Exasperated.

If I was a Bulldogs supporter I am not sure I would be using the whole 'we smashed you all over the ground/we won all the key stats by a mile/umpiring was irrelevant' argument. I would be more concerned about the fact they did all this yet only managed a two goal win...

I'd be interested to see Sauce's HO to advantage stat for the game, the number of times he put it down the Dog's midfielders throat especially Wallis was very frustrating to watch and on a number of occasions gave our mids virtually zero chance of winning a clearance....that has absolutely zero to do with our midfielders pace or perceived lack thereof

The big fella needs to lift big time in the centre ball ups especially if we are to figure in September.

I'd be interested to see Sauce's HO to advantage stat for the game, the number of times he put it down the Dog's midfielders throat especially Wallis was very frustrating to watch and on a number of occasions gave our mids virtually zero chance of winning a clearance....that has absolutely zero to do with our midfielders pace or perceived lack thereof

The big fella needs to lift big time in the centre ball ups especially if we are to figure in September.

WTF was going on in there? do we have any system at all...? do we have a smart talker/director on Sauces 6? if not why not?
or is it all pre-planned hit it to me talk?... the Bulldogs appeared so much more organised...

Lynch saying the team though tex was great on sat night, if he took those marks he would have been best on. Can't see him being dropped, neither should he be.
I thought he looked clearly hampered by injury (forget what it was) throughout the game but had the better of Roberts in most contests. Just couldn't stick them, as you said.

Definitely shouldn't be dropped, from my perspective. An effort like that from a big guy running at less than 100% is fantastic.

WTF was going on in there? do we have any system at all...? do we have a smart talker/director on Sauces 6? if not why not?
or is it all pre-planned hit it to me talk?... the Bulldogs appeared so much more organised...

I think it has little to do with set ups or systems at present because if Sauce is putting it down the throat of Wallis on a number of occasions either Wallis is a mind reader or Sauce is just not directing his palming accurately. Let's face it neither of the opposing rucks are considered in the top echelon going around currently...I just think our mids are getting a bit of a bum rap due to Sauce's ineffectual tap work and lack of form in that area of his game. Without watching the game again that was my impression on the weekend anyhow, and he certainly hasn't been giving our mids the "armchair" ride of past seasons at Centre bounces and to a less extent ball ups around the ground where it's more body on body..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got the wrong end of the umpiring. Doesn't explain how we screwed up 100+ times with everything else.

If you: Can't hold onto tackles, can't tackle within the new rules of the game, can't hold onto marks, can't pick the bloody ball up off the ground, can't hit a target 2 meters away from you, drop the ball for no reason before kicking it, won't go for the ball when it's your turn to go, let your man constantly get 15+ meters on you, let your opponent lead you to the ball most of the night, make stupid choice after stupid choice, I could go on and on, it's hardly the fault of the umpires.
What a load of crap!

Channel ten spoke to the umpiring dood who rekons stats dont matter, what matters is whats there or not, some footscary idiot thinks they were and that was it, story over.

Thats it, officially covered up again. Channel ten doesn't need to follow the afl line, they're independent. They're choosing to protect the cheats.

This week's coaches votes:

10 – Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs)
8 – Josh Jenkins (Adelaide)
5 – Jake Stringer (Western Bulldogs)
3 – Luke Dalhaus (Western Bulldogs)
3 – Tom Liberatore (Western Bulldogs)
1 – Mitch Wallis (Western Bulldogs)

That gives us the following breakdown:

Bontempelli: 10 = 5+5
Jenkins: 8 = 4+4
Stringer: 5 = 3+2
Dalhaus: 3 = 3+0 or 1+2
Liberatore: 3 = 1+2 or 3+0
Wallis: 1 = 1

And therefore by coach:

Coach 1

Bontempelli
Jenkins
Stringer
Dalhaus/Liberatore
Wallis

Coach 2

Bontempelli
Jenkins
Liberatore/Dalhaus
Stringer
Dalhaus/Liberatore

Imagine McGuire's reaction if he had come to Adelaide and watched his team get blatantly cheated on by SA umpires. Do you think he would play it calm and collected?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

I think it has little to do with set ups or systems at present because if Sauce is putting it down the throat of Wallis on a number of occasions either Wallis is a mind reader or Sauce is just not directing his palming accurately. Let's face it neither of the opposing rucks are considered in the top echelon going around currently...I just think our mids are getting a bit of a bum rap due to Sauce's ineffectual tap work and lack of form in that area of his game. Without watching the game again that was my impression on the weekend anyhow, and he certainly hasn't been giving our mids the "armchair" ride of past seasons at Centre bounces and to a less extent ball ups around the ground where it's more body on body..

I haven't looked at the replay either, i don't want to get caught up in the wtf with the umpiring inconsistency...
might have to have a look now...

And therefore by coach:

Coach 1

Bontempelli
Jenkins
Stringer
Dalhaus/Liberatore
Wallis

Coach 2

Bontempelli
Jenkins
Liberatore/Dalhaus
Stringer
Dalhaus/Liberatore

So in reality, Jenkins is officially a match winner now.Wins big games off his own boot.

Still think we should trade him and Hartigan to FF.

Said it before and I'll say it again.

Until Thommo retires we will continue to struggle in big games, he is the alpha male who is in at every centre bounce.

Everyone will poo poo me, fair enough but he doesn't contribute to team defense, his only strength is stoppage work and that is only if Sauce puts it down his throat - if Sauce misses him by a metre Thommo is too slow or gives away a free kick.

His disposal is poor - how many times does the opposition mark his kicks.
His decision making is poor - how many times does he handball it to a guy about to get tackled.
His defensive side is non existant - he just jogs along trailing their midfielders.
Whilst he has historically high tackle numbers (as he should have attending so many stoppages) - if the bloke he is tackling isn't stationary he gives away the free or the guy breaks his tackle

He is a favourite son but the game has gone past him, we have an abundance of inside mids. Get em in.
You've looked at one game there in isolation compared to the other 6

Not much research there

And therefore by coach:

Coach 1

Bontempelli
Jenkins
Stringer
Dalhaus/Liberatore
Wallis

Coach 2

Bontempelli
Jenkins
Liberatore/Dalhaus
Stringer
Dalhaus/Liberatore

Why wouldn't a coach give Jenkins 5 for kicking 8 goals?

Said it before and I'll say it again.

Until Thommo retires we will continue to struggle in big games, he is the alpha male who is in at every centre bounce.

Everyone will poo poo me, fair enough but he doesn't contribute to team defense, his only strength is stoppage work and that is only if Sauce puts it down his throat - if Sauce misses him by a metre Thommo is too slow or gives away a free kick.

His disposal is poor - how many times does the opposition mark his kicks.
His decision making is poor - how many times does he handball it to a guy about to get tackled.
His defensive side is non existant - he just jogs along trailing their midfielders.
Whilst he has historically high tackle numbers (as he should have attending so many stoppages) - if the bloke he is tackling isn't stationary he gives away the free or the guy breaks his tackle

He is a favourite son but the game has gone past him, we have an abundance of inside mids. Get em in.

I said things like this a few times last year .
So far this year he has been as good as I remember until the past game and a half.
His tackling,pace and disposal have all been better than the majority of last year.
I've backflipped on my position from last year somewhat as I feel he has more to offer the team this year than he did with DAnger in the side, but He is a very old man and needs to be managed. If we play him through without strategically assigned rests, I can see him getting worse than this.
I think this is as much about coaching as it is about Thommo.

Tex just couldn't make it happen on Saturday night, but f*** me that 60m snap across the body to Eddie with 2 minutes to go was just ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back