VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

I agree that the record is what people actually use to identify players but some clubs don't even get their player numbering right and it's an absolute joke!

I agree that the record is what people actually use to identify players but some clubs don't even get their player numbering right and it's an absolute joke!

I've played in and umpired different games this season where teams have had the same number being used by more than one player!!!

And as for the record, it’s been dying a slow death.
I’m 52 years old and I’ve worked out how to use a digital radio app and connect it to my car. It’s pretty simple if you’ve got half a brain and the willingness to ask someone how it’s done.
That’s where I fail, you’ve only got half a brain 😉

Interesting article / interview with "Brent Connell ... Didn't realise we had a Brent in the top seat of the overlords. Anyway I note how he makes mention of club umpires receiving training mmm The people I speak to in 2021 currently taking up the stack of umpiring roles left by the lack of VAFA appointments, these people say that they have had zero training or registration of any kind ??? Now have these people missed a email OR is this another question our chief overlord needs to address

Last edited:
Interesting article / interview with "Brent Connell ... Didn't realise we had a Brent in the top seat of the overlords. Anyway I note how he makes mention of club umpires receiving training mmm The people I speak to in 2021 currently taking up the stack of umpiring roles left by the lack of VAFA appointments, these people say that they have had zero training or registration of any kind ??? Now have these people missed a email OR is this another question our chief overlord needs to address

The EYE has been alerted to the Round 3 VAFA Record that is online.
Reading the editorial I fear "The Army" and others have raised the ire of said Commander in Chief.
Threats of investigation into those using "Social Media" in a way that promulgates misinformation & negativity! WOW - invade Bigfooty privacy - I think not!
I would have thought that the umpire issues brought to the attention of the VAFA by social media and clubs I dare say were an endeavor to steer the ship out of the eternal circle!
Furthermore the gender issue is mentioned under the banner of being the biggest women's comp in both the Southern & Northern hemispheres. Donald [God bless him for many others won't] Trump used this during the elections and it fell flatter than a dead rats clacker! It is about comparative service to men/women and surprise this is not new to the 21st century.
I would think Clubs would want their competition to be the BEST we are already the Biggest. To be the best requires more than lip service in service industries to all facets of the organization. Merit and respect are earned not an automatic entitlement to the BIGGEST.
Trying to look a bit deeper I think instead of trying to HUSH/CRUSH negativity CIC should be acknowledging that currently the admin at HQ is struggling in the following areas ADMIN, BOARD ELECTIONS, UMPIRE NUMBERS, FINANCE ONLY PROPPED UP BY CLUBS, LACK OF MINUTES SHARED FROM ADVISORY GROUPS AND SO ON. These are all types of issues that clubs also face - it is human to struggle and it is OK to admit problems that at times seem insurmountable.

THE PRIVATE EYE
HOPING TO STAY PRIVATE
:think:

The EYE has been alerted to the Round 3 VAFA Record that is online.
Reading the editorial I fear "The Army" and others have raised the ire of said Commander in Chief.
Threats of investigation into those using "Social Media" in a way that promulgates misinformation & negativity! WOW - invade Bigfooty privacy - I think not!
I would have thought that the umpire issues brought to the attention of the VAFA by social media and clubs I dare say were an endeavor to steer the ship out of the eternal circle!
Furthermore the gender issue is mentioned under the banner of being the biggest women's comp in both the Southern & Northern hemispheres. Donald [God bless him for many others won't] Trump used this during the elections and it fell flatter than a dead rats clacker! It is about comparative service to men/women and surprise this is not new to the 21st century.
I would think Clubs would want their competition to be the BEST we are already the Biggest. To be the best requires more than lip service in service industries to all facets of the organization. Merit and respect are earned not an automatic entitlement to the BIGGEST.
Trying to look a bit deeper I think instead of trying to HUSH/CRUSH negativity CIC should be acknowledging that currently the admin at HQ is struggling in the following areas ADMIN, BOARD ELECTIONS, UMPIRE NUMBERS, FINANCE ONLY PROPPED UP BY CLUBS, LACK OF MINUTES SHARED FROM ADVISORY GROUPS AND SO ON. These are all types of issues that clubs also face - it is human to struggle and it is OK to admit problems that at times seem insurmountable.

THE PRIVATE EYE
HOPING TO STAY PRIVATE
:think:
That editorial today by Connell is an embarrassment but to be expected on the back of his tenure so far.
I wonder if threats of investigation reaches as far as his media manager who threw abuse LIVE on radio at Glenn Scarborough? Who does this bloke think he is? President Xi?

I also noted his comments regarding alleged downloads of the VAFA record, unfortunately he didn’t back his statement up with any facts. I mean, what a crock of s**t, to even publish that crap is embarrassing.

Brett, if someone wants to be negative about your decisions you have to suck it up, we live in a free country. I would strongly suggest you keep your HQ in order and on a leash.......

In the spirit of "fair use" and For The Love Of The Game I have quoted the editorial below, in case it goes missing from some undefined and indeterminate IT problem:
https://www.vafa.com.au/editorial-together-we-achieve-more/

Brett Connell – VAFA CEO

Once again, I want to celebrate the return of VAFA football. With Rounds 1 and 2 under our belts, I want to make a few observations.

Last week, I touched on challenges we faced with a shortage of umpires and the late timing of our advice to clubs requiring already loaded club volunteers to perform Houdini type feats and find more officials. The umpiring matter became more than what was explained from an operations perspective, with elements of the feedback referring to gender equity.

While social media is a tool our clubs use to celebrate team performances and their players and members, it is disappointing when individual members misuse it to promulgate misinformation and negativity. It is timely to remind our community that the VAFA’s Social Media & Digital Communication Policy extends to players and officials on any social media channel or online forum and misuse, as outlined in the policy, will not be tolerated, and will be investigated.

The VAFA has the single largest women’s football competition in community football in Australia, combined Awards Nights and Media Days, (3) female Board Members, (9) female Club Presidents, a Women’s Advisory Group and we are currently working to strengthen female representation on our Board. As an Association, we pride ourselves on our inclusivity among all members, irrespective of gender. We recognise issues will arise and we will always strive to resolve them.

Round 2 threw up another challenge with the return of all community football competitions and the subsequent slow loading of results and ladders via SportsTG. SportsTG provides the competition management system for the VAFA and all community football leagues and, despite efforts to obtain our own data over the years, this is out of our control. The issue of slow load times is not due to the VAFA website but instead the SportsTG links. And it affects all leagues. Since investing heavily and making significant upgrades to the hosting platform (Amazon Web Services) for VAFA.com.au, our website’s load times are quicker and more efficient than they’ve ever been.

I would like to thank our community for the incredible uptake of the digital Amateur Footballer Record over the past two weeks. The change from hard copy to soft copy was flagged with clubs via surveys in 2019 and again in 2020, with the majority recognising the financial benefit of moving to a digital version. While clubs are progressively sending their team lists through for inclusion in the record, the ability to download directly to smartphones and the use of printed QR codes at club canteens over the weekend saw a great number of eyeballs reading over our 64-page record. While there is a small group unhappy with the decision to go digital in 2021, we hope the transition is made easier via the numerous methods we’ve provided to make it accessible for all.

Garnering support will always provide more positive outcomes for everyone than negative attitudes and unhelpful pot shots. Given where we all were 12 months ago, I know which situation I prefer.

So, let’s work together and celebrate what’s great about the VAFA rather than trying to tear down the great competition we all love.

This Anzac Day long weekend is a time to remember those who tragically passed away in war defending the rights of Australians. Whilst not actually participating on Anzac Day, many clubs will be conducting services to honour the Anzacs this Saturday, predominantly during the interval between the reserves and the seniors. We encourage everyone to take a moment to remember. Lest we forget.

See you @ the Footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s actually embarrassing reading the statement today. It’s Australia, we have free speech.

The editorial made me look in one area initially. The gender issue is raw currently. The CEO quoted 3 female VAFA Board members yet when I looked on the VAFA website I could only find 2? Now either the VAFA Website is out of date or the CEO is unaware that when he attends Board Meetings that one female member has resigned or perhaps he has promoted a female we are all unaware of?

Looking at the Amateur Footballer I was surprised to see that under the VAFA gender equity policy that a] there are 7 men's reports [A to Div 4] b] only 1 [Prem A] women's report? I was lucky to find that one because it has been strategically placed on page 40 after the under 19 boys jumper numbers. Tipping that this may change shortly.

As for the Social Media Policy threat from the CEO, I'm sure he means well but when the pot singles out the kettle you are in a no win situation. Just cast our minds back to why the Board elections had to be put off initially, procedural irregularities I think was the terminology. 3 restanding members were allowed to use the VAFA website to highlight their niceties but the 3 club candidates were denied the same privileged usage of VAFA media streams. A breach you think? Bigger than the hole in the ozone layer was the quote.

Bye

The editorial made me look in one area initially. The gender issue is raw currently. The CEO quoted 3 female VAFA Board members yet when I looked on the VAFA website I could only find 2? Now either the VAFA Website is out of date or the CEO is unaware that when he attends Board Meetings that one female member has resigned or perhaps he has promoted a female we are all unaware of?

Looking at the Amateur Footballer I was surprised to see that under the VAFA gender equity policy that a] there are 7 men's reports [A to Div 4] b] only 1 [Prem A] women's report? I was lucky to find that one because it has been strategically placed on page 40 after the under 19 boys jumper numbers. Tipping that this may change shortly.

As for the Social Media Policy threat from the CEO, I'm sure he means well but when the pot singles out the kettle you are in a no win situation. Just cast our minds back to why the Board elections had to be put off initially, procedural irregularities I think was the terminology. 3 restanding members were allowed to use the VAFA website to highlight their niceties but the 3 club candidates were denied the same privileged usage of VAFA media streams. A breach you think? Bigger than the hole in the ozone layer was the quote.

Bye
Again, I just shake my head after re-reading his editorial, if I were him I would push delete and instead replace it with a written apology front and centre on the VAFA website to Glenn Scarborough, and whilst he’s at it, the folks at InnerFM who he shafted in 2019 including the great Ken Petrucco.

It’s a shambles, probably the worst it’s ever been, like the quality of umpiring in Premier section. Time for heads to roll at VAFA HQ.
In their defense, they don’t run the IT. I think Sports TG are a bit comfortable because they have pretty much every league locked up.
They need a decent app to update the scores throughout the game and to add goals and best after the match, not to
Mention some more bandwidth so it doesn’t time out of a Saturday evening.

My 2 bobs worth for the weekend.
1/ VAFA website is an absolute disgrace. No matter on laptop, phone or ipad, bloody disgrace.
2/ Volunteers are a dying breed. I see one of the power clubs of Premier A advertising for helpers on social media. Well done to them for doing that because we all lack helpers big time, my Club too.
3/ Footy Clubs will struggle going forward, not because of lack of players, money or but simply volunteers to do the jobs needed on game day.
4/ VAFA need to do a massive recruitment drive for umpires and pay them handsomely. Remember, no umpires, no game.
5/ VAFA need to do a massive recruitment drive for Club volunteers, support your Club type. 4 rounds of footy and all clubs we have played have said they lack helpers game day.
6/ Covid dealt us many challengers and may still throw us some more but we must never forget our Clubs and what is needed to keep them going forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back