VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

It’s a shambles, probably the worst it’s ever been, like the quality of umpiring in Premier section. Time for heads to roll at VAFA HQ.
Maybe umps might be better if they appointed a coach to them before March and if they would maybe pay them on time ?? when will big name club in top section swing some weight around and hold our overlords to account

Attended the Bayside Football Oval today, Sunday, home of the Williamstown Juniors.
I watched three grandsons playing, U12, U14 and U16.

WRFL, quoted by some as the Worst Run Football League.

U12 – 2 Field Umpires, 2 Boundary Umpires supplied by WRFL
U14 - 2 Field Umpires, 2 Boundary Umpires supplied by WRFL
U16 - 2 Field Umpires, 2 Boundary Umpires supplied by WRFL

Perhaps? The VAFA could consider (albeit tiptoeing around local councils and nasty residents) scheduling games from Friday nights to Sundays.
The umpiring wouldn’t be as stretched as it now is. The VAFA could find that players who have played on previous days, eager to fast track their mortgage payments could be enticed?

Just thinking, SeaSide.

Attended the Bayside Football Oval today, Sunday, home of the Williamstown Juniors.
I watched three grandsons playing, U12, U14 and U16.

WRFL, quoted by some as the Worst Run Football League.

U12 – 2 Field Umpires, 2 Boundary Umpires supplied by WRFL
U14 - 2 Field Umpires, 2 Boundary Umpires supplied by WRFL
U16 - 2 Field Umpires, 2 Boundary Umpires supplied by WRFL

Perhaps? The VAFA could consider (albeit tiptoeing around local councils and nasty residents) scheduling games from Friday nights to Sundays.
The umpiring wouldn’t be as stretched as it now is. The VAFA could find that players who have played on previous days, eager to fast track their mortgage payments could be enticed?

Just thinking, SeaSide.

99% of those umpires running around on Sundays are probably already umpiring senior footy on Saturdays as well so no, it would not improve the situation to be competing with the junior leagues for umpires on a Sunday.

We had a full panel on Saturday, WRFL div 3.

They did both Reserves and Seniors.

Would have been FAR better off with club umpires for the earlier game, to keep them fresh for the seniors. One fieldie was pretty much OK, the other started the fifth quarter very average and went downhill from there.

How many adults were officiating on Sunday?

99% of those umpires running around on Sundays are probably already umpiring senior footy on Saturdays as well so no, it would not improve the situation to be competing with the junior leagues for umpires on a Sunday.
I was suggesting 'players', NOT umpires who had umpired the previous day. Such a scheme could lead to positive recruitment as many club umpires are former players and have a very good handle on the game.
Just thinking, SeaSide.

Negative thinking!
VAFA apparently have again failed to pay their umps on time (again) for apparently the umpteenth time in 4 years. no player umpiring footy on a Sunday & if they did that would soon quit as they only get paid a little over 110 ish for a lower game match or 99 for wowmens games it's not really massive money then add to it you never get paid on time... does it look attractive to you ?

I was suggesting 'players', NOT umpires who had umpired the previous day. Such a scheme could lead to positive recruitment as many club umpires are former players and have a very good handle on the game.
Just thinking, SeaSide.

Having tried umpiring and playing on the same weekend back in my more youthful days, nah, not something you’d really want to do. Especially for people who work full time, Sunday is your one day of rest.

So you’d lose out by competing with junior leagues and not gain much. Plus I’m sure players on an amateur competition prefer the certainty of playing Saturday every week.

VAFA apparently have again failed to pay their umps on time (again) for apparently the umpteenth time in 4 years. no player umpiring footy on a Sunday & if they did that would soon quit as they only get paid a little over 110 ish for a lower game match or 99 for wowmens games it's not really massive money then add to it you never get paid on time... does it look attractive to you ?

Yet back in my day we’d never have been paid this early anyway, so it’s hardly late on usual practices.

My son umpires in a couple of leagues and none have been paid and he doesn't expect it until end of this week at the earliest. VAFA is the only league that has actually processed anything yet.

As for women’s games, it’s pretty good money for the effort required. A lot easier than a junior game which pays half that.

OTP, what are these costs please?

Association fees are an umpires round 1 match payment.

Uniforms varies but at least 100 for a field/boundary umpire, more for a goal umpire and if you want to buy all the official match day uniform stuff.

Biggest problem is when the league decides to change logo or sponsors get updated, supplier goes out of business etc, you can be buying a new uniform every 3 years.

Luckily the current supplier has been steady and only uniform change was when VAFA changed their logo, but it’s not compulsory for all umpires to have the new logo. I think premier squad field umpires are expected to have the updated uniform but that’s about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet back in my day we’d never have been paid this early anyway, so it’s hardly late on usual practices.

My son umpires in a couple of leagues and none have been paid and he doesn't expect it until end of this week at the earliest. VAFA is the only league that has actually processed anything yet.

As for women’s games, it’s pretty good money for the effort required. A lot easier than a junior game which pays half that.
They have been late every pay run since 2016... this is not acceptable

back in your day.. when was that ?? payments have been monthly (ish) for previous 5 to 6 years atleast. HQ have treated umps terribly for years and they wonder why they cant maintain numbers

back in your day.. when was that ?? payments have been monthly (ish) for previous 5 to 6 years atleast. HQ have treated umps terribly for years and they wonder why they cant maintain numbers

They’ve been monthly forever, but that’s the point, the month only ended on Friday so under the system they’ve used forever, payments would never have come until the end of this week.

After this payment it will be interesting to see if the new fortnightly payments are successful.

We are now at Monday evening, and we have a D2 ladder that shows MHSOB as only playing one game, half the reserves teams as only playing three games, a couple of teams in D4 having played three games and so on. I know it's not the end of the world by any stretch, but you'd think that if the results are in, that the ladder would update itself automatically and everything would be in place by Sunday at the latest.

I'd suggest Sports TG upgrade the Commodore 64 and put a bit more folding stuff into their systems so they can cope with the demand. Or are there other checks and balances that have to occur after a game before a result can count ?

Last edited:
I hear umpires might have a sit down strike today, no pay, No play ??
From another site

Screenshot_20210503-181045_Twitter.jpg

They’ve been monthly forever, but that’s the point, the month only ended on Friday so under the system they’ve used forever, payments would never have come until the end of this week.

After this payment it will be interesting to see if the new fortnightly payments are successful.
HQ managment are as useful as wearing a wet suit in the shower.

HQ managment are as useful as wearing a wet suit in the shower.

The next test will be to see how HQ apply the so called Competitive Balance Regrading across the under 19s, women's, thirds. They have had ample time to work out who are really struggling. Blind Freddy told me there is a team in the Div 3 Women's with a percentage of 3.38 [yet to kick a goal in 4 matches]. In Div 4 Women's the top team has a percentage of 711.1 Well what should HQ do? They are paid to respond to this issue. If they don't it will lead to forfeits. It will require some time [hours only] to reconfigure any draw. There are examples right across the VAFA where it should happen. I suspect they are too lazy to do so. HQ will say ohhhhh we just could get the draw to work! Crap.
Can anyone tell me what the 10+ staff are doing on a Tuesday morning? Games are over, tribunal to sort [one person coordinates], what else is there to do?

PS On a roll now. Who is the replacement to look after the VAFA clubs wellbeing? Benny departed months ago? Has your club been contacted recently? VAFA is saving heaps by not paying for umpires which would have been factored into the budget which our affiliation fees pay for. Wait we do get $20 AN UMPIRE we supply this year.

Be warned by THE EYE right now that the VAFA is headed for a big surplus this year and will be self congratulating at the AGM how they skillfully turned it round through great management. Rubbish. The affiliation fees are way too high for what is received.

THE EYE

WAKE UP CLUBS

:huh:

The payments between leagues is discussed in the article.

And club president calling for more league umpires as two clubbies were forced to call off a match:

The payments between leagues is discussed in the article.

And club president calling for more league umpires as two clubbies were forced to call off a match:

Match was called off because of a "thug" not club umpires. That is pure diversion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back