Toast Welcome to Freo Caleb Serong– Fremantle’s 2nd 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #8]

Remove this Banner Ad

Serong is no chance for the rising star as long as Rankine is injury free. Kid is a freak.
Ultimately it comes down to a vote, where everyones values will be different. If it keeps going as it currently is, the decision will come down to consistency vs brilliance. Serong has more chance of putting a consistent season together, but Rankine certainly has some freakish talent and can do things no other guy can.

Nah I hate to say it but Yakka is right. If Rankin says on the park he will win. He is unbelievable. Generational talent.
Caleb is just your common or garden top 5 inside mid in the comp level talent (for which we should be very grateful).
I remember the year Cyril Rioli and Rhys Palmer debuted it was exactly the same argument. The mercurial Rioli versus the consistently good Palme. Guess who won ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the year Cyril Rioli and Rhys Palmer debuted it was exactly the same argument. The mercurial Rioli versus the consistently good Palme. Guess who won ;)
It's a reasonable comparison. I'd argue though Rankine is actually delivering more in actual performance that Cyril did that year (his numbers were modest, if impressive for an 18 year old). If he keeps averaging 2 plus goals a game with the razzle dazzle he will win no matter what Caleb does (within reason).

I think it could come depend on team form, if we develop good form and Gold Coasts falls away then he will be starved of opportunity while Sertong continues to rack up possessions.

I agree it should just be best first year player and include mature age players. E.g Tim Kelly should have won it his first year, Barlow as well.
Ridiculous that Rowell will probably win it next year baring injury. Any player that has a second preseason is way ahead of a first year player.
Also thought this year is very similar to Rioli v Palmer. I was always of the view that Palmer deserved it, as Rioli from memory only averaged a goal a game and very few touches. Obviously Rioli ended up way better but that wasn't the point, Palmer's first season was his best and he deserved to win. Hopefully Serong has a much better career than Rhys!

One of the best things about Caleb is that he has already shown he works hard off the track, When he came here he was listed at 88kgs and is now 83kg. From his draft highlights compared to now it looks like looks losing that weight has made him quicker and more explosive from stoppages. He has played on and beaten Dangerfield and Trelor who are both very explosive at clearances. His foot skills too are excellent for a first year player.

One of the best things about Caleb is that he has already shown he works hard off the track, When he came here he was listed at 88kgs and is now 83kg. From his draft highlights compared to now it looks like looks losing that weight has made him quicker and more explosive from stoppages. He has played on and beaten Dangerfield and Trelor who are both very explosive at clearances. His foot skills too are excellent for a first year player.
He is a mini terminator. How can you beat guys like that in your first handful of games ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back