Toast Welcome to Freo Caleb Serong– Fremantle’s 2nd 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #8]

Remove this Banner Ad

Centre bounces attended v Hawthorn (from AFL website):
Serong 13/15
Brayshaw 9/15
Fyfe 9/15
Blakely 8/15
Mundy 6/15

Pretty big endorsement for someone playing their 7th game.

Perfect development setup right there:

Either Mundy or Fyfe only attend centre (very rarely both)

Brayshaw and Blakely rotate with them.

Cerra Bewley and Aish both coming off either wing.

Serong in everything. This kid is a star 🌟

I was keen to see these Statesboro for Carlton game as noticed similar freo setup, while Cripps (26), curnow (30) and Murphy (33) were repeatedly ok there. So SPS, Dow ( didn’t play) and Walsh (rarely) were not in the centre square.

Posted elsewhere but I am a big wrap for Serong, he was always my no 1 choice for the Baggers in last years draft (happy with Brodie Kemp though)

He is a competitive beast and just wants to win/get his hands dirty.
Honestly don't think there is a go home factor about this kid, he strikes me as a very mature and loyal type who will play his career out at Freo.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you get him with one of the picks you got from the Stains for Brad Hill ?

Good get Freo 👍👍👍

I had those odds too with two separate bookies, both of whom voided the bets once the season got suspended :'(:'(:'(

You can /potentially/ get it held over for next years season. It may take longer then the effort you're willing to put in but I've had friends in similar boats who've just constantly harassed the betting companies with the COVID stuff until they got their way.

Rowell winning the Rising Star was literally one of the examples I'm talking about as my friend had money on him. Not sure which company though, but I hope you can try and get something back!

Posted elsewhere but I am a big wrap for Serong, he was always my no 1 choice for the Baggers in last years draft (happy with Brodie Kemp though)

He is a competitive beast and just wants to win/get his hands dirty.
Honestly don't think there is a go home factor about this kid, he strikes me as a very mature and loyal type who will play his career out at Freo.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you get him with one of the picks you got from the Stains for Brad Hill ?

Good get Freo 👍👍👍

Amongst the other bits of the Brad Hill trade, we received pick 10 from the Saints. The club had intel that Carlton was going to make a play for Liam Henry at pick 9, so in order to "get ahead" of the bid we traded up to pick 8 with Melbourne which was well justified at the end of the day. The rest is history as they say.

Amongst the other bits of the Brad Hill trade, we received pick 10 from the Saints. The club had intel that Carlton was going to make a play for Liam Henry at pick 9, so in order to "get ahead" of the bid we traded up to pick 8 with Melbourne which was well justified at the end of the day. The rest is history as they say.
This all very neat, but just plain wrong. They traded ahead of Carlton to get Serong and Young, or Stephens etc. knowing they would still have a free hit on Henry soon after.
You seriously believe they traded ahead just to protect Henry, but forgot to organize trades of sufficient points to cover a deficit knowing the bid was coming at 9?

This all very neat, but just plain wrong. They traded ahead of Carlton to get Serong and Young, or Stephens etc. knowing they would still have a free hit on Henry soon after.
You seriously believe they traded ahead just to protect Henry, but forgot to organize trades of sufficient points to cover a deficit knowing the bid was coming at 9?
I thought from a Bell interview afterwards that they had organised the trade with Port in advance to get as many points as possible should Carlton bid at 9

I thought from a Bell interview afterwards that they had organised the trade with Port in advance to get as many points as possible should Carlton bid at 9
They had organised a trade that covered them for any bid from 10 on. The idea that Carlton might bid on Henry first, i.e. 9, hadn't entered their scenario planning evidently, which is why they looked like stunned mullets when it happened and then had to scramble about trying to get the extra points they needed.

They had organised a trade that covered them for any bid from 10 on. The idea that Carlton might bid on Henry first, i.e. 9, hadn't entered their scenario planning evidently, which is why they looked like stunned mullets when it happened and then had to scramble about trying to get the extra points they needed.
In fact it's likely that they had not factored in Green not being bid on before our first pick. I.E. They were operating on the assumption that our first pick was going to be 8, not 7.
Or alternatively they simply couldn't conceive of a bid before 10 for him because of who it would be leaving on the table to do so (one or two of Flanders, Stephens, Worrel, Kemp etc. As it transpired they bypassed Flanders, Kemp, Worrel and Green to bid on Henry first. One of whom they ended up taking later!).

Either way I remain 100% convinced they didn't plan for a bid before pick 10.

BTW I'm not saying it was a massive error. It only looks bad in hindsight because the scenario that actually happened on the day was literally the only one out of many they had planned for that they hadn't planned for.

Last edited:
Isn't it the same thing? They traded up to get 3 first rounders instead of two. Henry was ours no matter but if the bid comes in at 9, we lose an elite talent. It's quite possible that Carlton wanted both Serong and Henry so either way we were going to miss one of them if we don't trade depending on who we had higher on our board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway we got Serong and Young out of it, praise Keps. I would have happily sacrificed our entire 2020 first pick for them if i'd had advance knowledge of just how good they were going to be (trust me team, it's Christmas. We hit the godamn jackpot!).
Agreed.

Young going down early has meant he has slipped into the background somewhat, but I still think he'll be the best player of the three. If we add in Freddie, it could be one of the best draft hauls any club has had for quite some time.

Anyway we got Serong and Young out of it, praise Keps. I would have happily sacrificed our entire 2020 first pick for them if i'd had advance knowledge of just how good they were going to be (trust me team, it's Christmas. We hit the godamn jackpot!).
I think this opinion is the best perspective.

It's very early days on the draft picks but I couldn't be happier with Serong. Actually, if he suddenly grew 5cm over the next preseason.

On 21 Nov (almost a week before the draft) we traded pick #10, #28 and future 4th to Melbourne for pick #8. It meant we jumped in front of Carlton's pick #9.

If we hadn't had done that then Carlton would have bid on Henry at #9 and we'd then have had to match using #10 (and miss out on Serong) or let him go to them (and have Serong but no Henry). That trade took away any benefit to Carlton of them bidding on Henry. They really wanted Serong (they put a fair bit of effort into him) but would have also been happy with Henry. In the end our move meant they got neither and we got 3 top 10 players.

As it turned out they bid on Henry anyway at pick #9, even though it served no benefit to them other than giving them more time to then eventually trade away pick #9 (which became #11 after the two bids) as we were always going to match the Henry bid, and GWS were always going to match the Green bid.

On 21 Nov (almost a week before the draft) we traded pick #10, #28 and future 4th to Melbourne for pick #8. It meant we jumped in front of Carlton's pick #9.

If we hadn't had done that then Carlton would have bid on Henry at #9 and we'd then have had to match using #10 (and miss out on Serong) or let him go to them (and have Serong but no Henry). That trade took away any benefit to Carlton of them bidding on Henry. They really wanted Serong (they put a fair bit of effort into him) but would have also been happy with Henry. In the end our move meant they got neither and we got 3 top 10 players.

As it turned out they bid on Henry anyway at pick #9, even though it served no benefit to them other than giving them more time to then eventually trade away pick #9 as we were always going to match the Henry bid, and GWS were always going to match the Green bid.
They didn't trade a head of Carlton to protect Henry, they traded ahead to get two picks before Henry rather than 1.

Yep that's what I said. We did it to get Serong (or whoever was available if he wasn't) not Henry.
I suppose that I was disagreeing with the bit about was being worried Carton would bid at 9. I don't think they thought that would happen. Or the pre-organised potential trades they had set up would have included one that had the points to cover that scenario.

I.E. Trade was designed to get Serong and Young I.E. Carlton targets at 9, or whomever else came through, and then take Henry at where they thought he was going to be bid on.

For instance Cal Toomey's last minute final phantom had the bid at 18.

I suppose that I was disagreeing with the bit about was being worried Carton would bid at 9. I don't think they thought that would happen. Or the pre-organised potential trades they had set up would have included one that had the points to cover that scenario.
I think they knew it would definitely happen if they still had #10 but after changing that to #8 and having the two picks before Carlton's I think it is a toss up to expect a bid that early. What was in it for Carlton by bidding on Henry at #9 once we already picked Young and Serong?

Like I've said before you don't trade your picks to create points based on just one possible scenario. What if we'd done that and then the bid didn't come until #18+ and then we were stuck with a bunch of picks/points we didn't need/use and with even less currency this year? Maybe we would have missed out on Frederick by doing that?

Also even a week out there were very few clubs with multiple picks worth points that lined up with the picks we could have used to trade. I suspect it would have cost us a lot just to cover ourselves for one possible scenario. Overall we got great value for the currency we paid - that's the only KPI that matters.

I think they knew it would definitely happen if they still had #10 but after changing that to #8 and having the two picks before Carlton's I think it is a toss up to expect a bid that early. What was in it for Carlton by bidding on Henry at #9 once we already picked Young and Serong?

Like I've said before you don't trade your picks to create points based on just one possible scenario. What if we'd done that and then the bid didn't come until #18+ and then we were stuck with a bunch of picks/points we didn't need/use and with even less currency this year? Maybe we would have missed out on Frederick by doing that?

Also even a week out there were very few clubs with multiple picks worth points that lined up with the picks we could have used to trade. I suspect it would have cost us a lot just to cover ourselves for one possible scenario. Overall we got great value for the currency we paid - that's the only KPI that matters.
I agree that what happened was definitely worth it, even if the two players we got had just turned out to be standard mid first round pick solid B+ players rather than potential Brownlow level jets. I also agree you can't have a actual trade workshopped for dozens of scenarios.

However: I'm giving them a point off out for 10 because I think the scenario that did eventuate was anticipatable. They had set up a trade that left them just one late 4th rounder short in points!
Also we can guarantee they had at least two or three different trades set up. The trade we did would have provided 200 surplus points on a bid at 18, which would have been pretty wasteful in terms of the premium we would have paid. We would have had to, as we came in on the day with what? 540 points up our sleeves after pick 8?

I concede it is possible they tried and failed to get indicative trades set up for it, and that would be fair enough. I just think the way they acted on the day suggests that they hadn't.

Apologies in advance for going on about it. Particularly in light of the fact that there is a thread specifically dedicated to this topic :)

I think the main point that everyone is missing is that we should have 100% just bid on Green and pushed all our picks down which would remove the deficit

It was smart to trade up to get Serong but we made an error in not bidding on Green. GWS were matching with late thirds, there was 0% chance they would pass on Green, it's just smart drafting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back