Autopsy Welcome to Freo Liam Henry – Fremantle’s 3rd 2019 National Draft Pick [Match bid Pick #9]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's played four games people!

Just. Four. Games.

Give the guy a chance, and dial down the expectations for crying out loud.

He's just in that funny in-between stage players go through... too good for WAFL, too inexperienced for AFL. Lachie neale went through the exact same thing, as have many of our other current best players.

My issue is he’s supposed to be a winger not a small forward but he looks even worse up the ground than he does in his unnatural position

My issue is he’s supposed to be a winger not a small forward but he looks even worse up the ground than he does in his unnatural position

He just needs to do the basics better. He doesn't want to do the basics at all at the moment and he lazy once he's out of the play.

There was an instance in the first quarter where a handball missed him as he was running by, instead of putting in a second effort he just stood there and watched as the play continued on around him.

I think a good block of games in the WAFL once the cavalry arrives will do him well. I don't care if hes above that level, he needs to play there so he can work on the parts of his game that hes TERRIBLE at so the things he is good at can shine through.

He's played four games people!

Just. Four. Games.

Give the guy a chance, and dial down the expectations for crying out loud.

He's just in that funny in-between stage players go through... too good for WAFL, too inexperienced for AFL. Lachie neale went through the exact same thing, as have many of our other current best players.
It’s a good post, but how do we know he’s too good for WAFL? he hasn’t played a senior game at that level.
They need to work out where they want to play him & have him play that at Peel. Don’t play him on a wing & then put him in a pocket at Freo, if you want him as a small forward, play him there.
Too often players go back to Peel & play in positions they don’t play in at AFL level & then struggle. Banfield plays as a mid at Peel & then comes in as a high defensive half forward.
He probably will dominate at Peel, which is good, but he should have to dominate for at least 4-5 games & improve on his faults including intensity & defensive pressure. It also has to remembered that he hasn’t dominated anything for nearly 2 years & he needs that confidence.

Last edited:
There's merits in both working it through at AFL or WAFL. He's got a heap of talent and he's showed a willingness for hard work over the preseason, which suggests he can develop while playing the higher level. Given his talent he can bring special moments while he's developing. Personnel issues lean it towards AFL at the moment anyways.

Yeah I’d say it’s a Shia Bolton type build up for the young fella 3/4 years of glimpses and in and out of the side then boom

Always looks gassed ATM

Can’t really blame people for criticising him , it’s the big time and we love our team and if you can’t compete you’re fair game. He’s not picking the side though

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Of course any player can be fair game for criticism. Equally, any heavy criticism from fans targetting a >5 game player is just as fair game to be called out for being counterproductive and immature.

Not convince by the narrative that he’s clearly too good for the WAFL.
It was one scratchie a couple of weeks back. He kicked a couple but I reckon 4 or 5 weeks in the actual WAFL Proper where he kicks 10 or 15 goals in the space of a month or so would be better evidence. Would be good for him in the longer term at AFL level too.

Not convince by the narrative that he’s clearly too good for the WAFL.
It was one scratchie a couple of weeks back. He kicked a couple but I reckon 4 or 5 weeks in the actual WAFL Proper where he kicks 10 or 15 goals in the space of a month or so would be better evidence. Would be good for him in the longer term at AFL level too.
New minnit, Henry back to WAFL, gets an injury, Freo BF channel explodes.

Our last coach was lambasted for allowing players to develop in the WAFL when we all wanted to play with our shiny new toys.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

People saying he’s too good for WAFL is as equally short sighted as people being overly critical of him at AFL level.

But then again some people go Gaga over PSA footy highlights.

I'm basing my assessment he's too good for WAFL on my observation of his skill level and natural ability, his display of form in the scratches, his performance in training, as well as my observation that the selection panel actually have him in the team over many far more experienced players.

Whether I'm right or wrong, Liam himself will demonstrate conclusively over time... something a lot of people here are clearly not willing to give him.

Four...
Fcuking...
Games...

...three of which happened last year in the middle of a pandemic, during a highly compromised season, and while returning from a long term injury.

So really, in terms of judging his *current* form, and present ability to add something potent to the team, we're reduced to just one game.

Did he compete terribly well in that one game? No... no he didn't.

But neither did more than half the fcuking team.

Did he get much support from his fellow forwards, or opportunity to crumb goals?

No.

Did he have any substantive opportunity to grow into the game over time by being switched onto the ball?

No.

Was he delivered any quality leads, or even a single decent pass on the nipples during that entire game?

No.

Will he still face the same massive step up in skill, speed and playing level between AFL to WAFL, if he were to spend a month or two in the WAFL first?

Yes.

Do we need him playing with confidence and poise?

Yes.

Will his inherant confidence that he can play at AFL level be bolstered by denying him opportunities to do so?

No.

Will it do anything for his self esteem or confidence to be dropped after only one game when the whole ******* team were turd-sucking awful?

Probably not. 🙄🙄

Patience please folks... It's not just a card game, it's also an admirable quality on its own.

He needs to be more accountable on the footy field. Half back in the wafl would harden him up.

Feel like they'll play him as the Medical sub most the year imo. Especially when Freddy and Walters are back.

He needs to be more accountable on the footy field. Half back in the wafl would harden him up.

Feel like they'll play him as the Medical sub most the year imo. Especially when Freddy and Walters are back.
Think medical sub would literally be the worst thing to do, unless we plan on having someone injured every single game (quite posible). Needs to just play footy as much as possible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are incredibly tough on the kid, and it’s probably still more in the cesspool that is social media than on here but some of the game day thread comments were unreal.

Here are the following reasons no one should be worried about Henry;

1) He is a skinny outside forward flanker, these types take years to come on. See Liam Ryan (drafted older and average year 1 and 2 of AFL) and Shai Bolton
2) He has an awesome head on his shoulders. The main way your talented players fail is through work ethic, he has that in spades
3) Due to COVID, he has played 4 games of actual football in close to 2 years...
4) He was literally looking like our most dangerous forward the first half on the weekend
5) He’s being overshadowed by a rising star winner and elite half back flanker, the fans have been spoiled for talent delivering straight away the last few years.

He’ll be a slow burn peeps, the end result will be worthy the 40 odd games of pain you’ll likely have to suffer through

Last edited:
People are so impatient and short-sighted when it comes to young players.

Remember when a chunk of this board wrote Lachie Neale off as a youngster because he made a couple of turnover kicks coming out of defence that cost us goals in a derby?

Liam Henry the latest Fremantle Dockers player under injury cloud with calf issue
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Mon, 22 March 2021 12:15PMComments
Jordan McArdle

Liam Henry in action in Round 1.

Liam Henry in action in Round 1. Credit: Quinn Rooney/via AFL Photos

Just when you thought Fremantle’s injury list couldn’t get any worse.
Young gun Liam Henry is the latest injury concern at the Dockers, reporting a calf issue in the wake of his team’s opening-round loss to Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday.
The highly-rated second-year forward played through the match, producing arguably his best game at AFL level against the Demons with a classy goal among his three score involvements.
The West Australian understands Henry won’t require scans, but remains under a cloud ahead of Freo’s next assignment against GWS Giants at Optus Stadium on Sunday.

The 19-year-old could join forward-line teammates Rory Lobb (knee), Michael Walters (hamstring), Josh Treacy (suspension), Mitch Crowden (calf), Bailey Banfield (ankle), Sam Sturt (ankle) Michael Frederick (calf) on the sidelines.

In more bad injury news, premiership defender Joel Hamling is expected to miss up to a month with an ankle injury.
Fellow key back Alex Pearce (knee) could be sidelined for up to two months, according to Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir.
“We’ll have to get it scanned but it looks like an MCL,” Longmuir said.
“He’s going to miss a bit of time. It’s not season-ending but it will probably be four to six to eight weeks, that sort of range. But we won’t know until we get it scanned.

“It’s really disappointing for him.”

Only five Fremantle-listed players took the field in Peel Thunder’s narrow WAFL scratch match loss to Claremont at Revo Fitness Stadium on Saturday, after 13 played the previous week, in a worrying sign.

Intercept-marking defender Heath Chapman is firming for an AFL debut against the Giants, while fellow half-backs Taylin Duman and Nathan Wilson will also come into consideration.

Rookie tall forward Treacy starred with seven goals but is unavailable for AFL selection until round five due to a striking ban, with first-year pocket rocket Joel Western doing some good things.

Being critical of Henry doesn’t mean I want to start burning effigies of the kid. I can’t speak for anyone else but

Was I disappointed in Henry’s performance? Yes, that’s it.

Do I think we should keep playing him?
Yes, 100%. Let him get a few more licks.

I just think we have a different barometer on what “too good for WAFL” means. No dramas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back