Autopsy Welcome to Freo Liam Henry – Fremantle’s 3rd 2019 National Draft Pick [Match bid Pick #9]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
19 year old in his fourth game. And fifth game of senior footy. Also I'm not sure if anyone noticed but he's a small forward where the ball hardly ever hit the deck. This added to the fact that he's playing in the comp's most dysfunctional forward line.

Let him find his feet. The vitriol online and here has been unnecessary and over the top. The great thing is, you can see the talent in Henry in flashes during his limited appearances. Let's empower and support him so he can be the best he can be. Let's not pull the knives out after four games.

19 year old in his fourth game. And fifth game of senior footy. Also I'm not sure if anyone noticed but he's a small forward where the ball hardly ever hit the deck. This added to the fact that he's playing in the comp's most dysfunctional forward line.

Let him find his feet. The vitriol online and here has been unnecessary and over the top. The great thing is, you can see the talent in Henry in flashes during his limited appearances. Let's empower and support him so he can be the best he can be. Let's not pull the knives out after four games.
I think the "vitriol" is totally warranted.
People are allowed to share their first impressions of the bloke, and their first impressions, like mine, are that he's lazy, has no work ethic, second effort, overrated and disappointing.

First impressions are what they are and it🤷 Is what it is.

People are so impatient and short-sighted when it comes to young players.

Remember when a chunk of this board wrote Lachie Neale off as a youngster because he made a couple of turnover kicks coming out of defence that cost us goals in a derby?
Walters had about 3 mates left on here at one stage I reckon.. from memory Lach, E Shed and me.

If the club weren't playing Henry supporters would be going nuts, but play him early in his development and then not instantly set the world on fire and they complain/write off as well.

Over the years I've come to the realisation that the average sports fan is an idiot.

He looks a long way off now but it's just so early, and in footy when someone finally gets some confidence that can change in an instant.

Walters had about 3 mates left on here at one stage I reckon.. from memory Lach, E Shed and me.

If the club weren't playing Henry supporters would be going nuts, but play him early in his development and then not instantly set the world on fire and they complain/write off as well.

Over the years I've come to the realisation that the average sports fan is an idiot.

He looks a long way off now but it's just so early, and in footy when someone finally gets some confidence that can change in an instant.

yup.

He'll find his feet...he has started his career in front of Walters because he has a professional attitude...hopefully the rest will follow

I think the "vitriol" is totally warranted.
People are allowed to share their first impressions of the bloke, and their first impressions, like mine, are that he's lazy, has no work ethic, second effort, overrated and disappointing.

First impressions are what they are and it Is what it is.
It seems the fools are quick to turn on their own no matter the context of their performance.

Completely agree - yet the two thoughts are able to be true at the same time.

He is young and developing, fourth game will improve, support him and cheer him on etc

He was lazy against melbourne and looks like he has a long way to go.

You can rightly think both of those things and still support Liam and cheer him on and want him to do amazingly well.

Completely agree - yet the two thoughts are able to be true at the same time.

He is young and developing, fourth game will improve, support him and cheer him on etc

He was lazy against melbourne and looks like he has a long way to go.

You can rightly think both of those things and still support Liam and cheer him on and want him to do amazingly well.
[sigh]

Was lucky enough to have an opportunity to watch the game again. Saw near on zero observable evidence he was "lazy". After watching it carefully, it's kind of mind-blowing that people are reaching for that label.

If you or anyone else have any observable evidence of that care to name it? As counter, I'd reference the 3rd qtr, with about 15 mins to go, Henry comes off the bench and you see him continually on the move, running patterns and getting front and square. Only flat-footed moments were generally when the ball was dead or out of the zone.

[sigh]

Was lucky enough to have an opportunity to watch the game again. Saw near on zero observable evidence he was "lazy". After watching it carefully, it's kind of mind-blowing that people are reaching for that label.

If you or anyone else have any observable evidence of that care to name it? As counter, I'd reference the 3rd qtr, with about 15 mins to go, Henry comes off the bench and you see him continually on the move, running patterns and getting front and square. Only flat-footed moments were generally when the ball was dead or out of the zone.
He for mine looks off the pace of the game mentally, rushed and panicky. But lazy? Haven't seen any evidence of that.

He for mine looks off the pace of the game mentally, rushed and panicky. But lazy? Haven't seen any evidence of that.
Can't argue with that too much, although on Saturday's run at it I don't think he's too far off. He could've easily kicked another two goals with more composure. The goal he did kick though was skillfully executed, classic example of a bit of extra difficulty taking the edge off the pressure.

Really think it’s important to put the human angle on afl players, particularly young ones. Not every player coming through is going to have the belief in their own ability as Caleb Serong & as supporters we sometimes expect them all to be the same.

There’s a lot to consider for a young player, including expectations, supporters, game day crowd, tv audience, constant media attention & not to mention a hardened experienced opponent & defensive structures that are designed to stop you from getting a kick.

What is perceived as laziness, could easily be a fear of failure & sometimes it’s safer not to expose yourself to that failure because you dont believe in yourself yet. Until you fail & realise the world keeps spinning, it’s hard to put yourself in that position for some.

He was a big fish at junior level & the only senior footy he’s played is at Afl level, one day soon it will click for him.

Mundy doesn't look intense either .

Way back Robert Parish didn't like he was trying.

On TV you don't see the long unrewarded running.

I remember a basketball coach telling me that you need to stress leg muscles to jump, not your facial muscles.
Liked it, just for the Robert Parish reference.

On RMX2001 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember when mundy was being blasted on here for being lazy in his early years ?

Liam missed a season of footy before being drafted from injury & has only played a couple of senior games of footy since.

To me he tries too hard & needs to realise he does have control over the space time continuim. Just like master Mundy.

All you grumpy campaigners just relax or eat a dick.

Ahem. Have been big on Walters since day dot.

Agreed, kid has some serious potential. Just unlucky this year with injury.

I figured this was worth a bump based on the rising trajectory Liam has shown in the past month. Starting to show he has what it takes to be a regular in the team. Still needs to keep building fitness and strength but he is really starting to show a bit after some continuity in the team.

It's exciting to see his growth, paired alongside Treacy's, it's sunshine through some clouds. When Henry held off from flying for the mark at the end of second quarter as the defenders closed in on a number of fronts, instead waited back amd grabbed the crumbs off the pack, kept the ball in and help set up that Treacy goal, showed some grade-A smarts.

Am a big fan of Liam and think he will be a star but no doubt has been gifted games when he should have played the whole season in the WAFL preferably in the midfield on a wing building a tank not trying to be a small forward anyway we have no choice he definitely plays now hopefully he can keep improving.
When he does eventually come good am sure the coaching staff will pat themselves on the back for playing him early not sure that credit will be warranted.

Am a big fan of Liam and think he will be a star but no doubt has been gifted games when he should have played the whole season in the WAFL preferably in the midfield on a wing building a tank not trying to be a small forward anyway we have no choice he definitely plays now hopefully he can keep improving.
When he does eventually come good am sure the coaching staff will pat themselves on the back for playing him early not sure that credit will be warranted.
I somewhat agree however, i think his improvement is rapid and he was showing signs of outgrowing wafl. I actually think he isn't being gifted games because of our injuries.

Gifted games in front of whom exactly?

And the whole year in the WAFL? Why? I think he's been getting about ok without getting full dividend in previous weeks. He's obviously in development mode, which, for someone of his talent, can be ok in either AFL level or WAFL level just depending on where you're at as a team and his own confidence. Plenty start as forwards and expand their game upfield. He can build his tank at training or even in extensive leading patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back