Autopsy Welcome to Freo Liam Henry – Fremantle’s 3rd 2019 National Draft Pick [Match bid Pick #9]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So was I wrong saying Henry was lazy without the ball, given he's been dropped?

Not a shot at the kid or writing him off (because people love to overreact reading anything relatively negative).

Freddy was given more time because he still worked hard without the ball. Happy with this decision, he'll benefit greatly from this and so will the whole team in years to come

Lazy or current capacity?

He's missed a year of footy

So was I wrong saying Henry was lazy without the ball, given he's been dropped?

Not a shot at the kid or writing him off (because people love to overreact reading anything relatively negative).

Freddy was given more time because he still worked hard without the ball. Happy with this decision, he'll benefit greatly from this and so will the whole team in years to come
That's the thing that confuses me a little bit, I'd argue Freddy's game 2 and 3 was worse than what Henry has put out so far but maybe I'm biased.

Kid clearly has a few things to work on, not the least of which is building a tank but hopefully he gets another game this year to show he can build on what he's done already

Last edited:
Lazy or current capacity?

He's missed a year of footy
Mixture of both in my opinion. Noticed a few questionable efforts in the first quarter.

With more experience, we all know he'll be a good player, but as a small forward you have to apply pressure full stop (which is why Crowden kept his spot, for now). Very happy with this decision.

Just want to bump this thread as I think a few comments about him have been unfair. He’s young, he’s skinny & he’s currently playing in the most dis-functional forward line in the competition. To say he’s got no heart etc is very disappointing.

But I do think he’s been handed an opportunity not yet earned based on potential & others injuries. I would like him to go back to Peel & learn to play men’s football. He has had limited opportunity to do so & he just needs to find his feet in senior footy & come in with consistent form, which he hasn’t been able to yet.

However long that takes.

Just want to bump this thread as I think a few comments about him have been unfair. He’s young, he’s skinny & he’s currently playing in the most dis-functional forward line in the competition. To say he’s got no heart etc is very disappointing.

But I do think he’s been handed an opportunity not yet earned based on potential & others injuries. I would like him to go back to Peel & learn to play men’s football. He has had limited opportunity to do so & he just needs to find his feet in senior footy & come in with consistent form, which he hasn’t been able to yet.

However long that takes.

Yeah I’d say it’s a Shia Bolton type build up for the young fella 3/4 years of glimpses and in and out of the side then boom

Always looks gassed ATM

Can’t really blame people for criticising him , it’s the big time and we love our team and if you can’t compete you’re fair game. He’s not picking the side though

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

If we had a normal injury list like most other clubs he’d be down at peel building his experience and confidence and earning a spot at this level. That’s not his fault.

If we had a normal injury list like most other clubs he’d be down at peel building his experience and confidence and earning a spot at this level. That’s not his fault.

He needs too cos s**t he looks a long way off.
For someone that has supposedly worked super hard in the off season he is incredibly lazy on the field.

He needs too cos sh*t he looks a long way off.
For someone that has supposedly worked super hard in the off season he is incredibly lazy on the field.

Yup - flat footed and the reaction time is just off to each contest

He was owned yesterday by a good lock down small defender, so hopefully he learnt something

If we had cavalry to replace him - I would but him in the 2nds for a while. But we don’t until Walters returns I’d imagine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’ll get better, he’s not ready made he’s learning the game. He will get a lot out of reviewing this game, Sonny will no doubt be sitting down with him.

Reminds me of how Crowden used to try to do too much, but now he’s a better decision maker.

Henry’s ceiling is high, be patient and stick with him, it’ll be worth it.

When he has played for Peel he is clearly above the players at that level, so the reality is he isn't going to gain much from being at WAFL level, he is sitting somewhere in between, a bit like the criticisms everyone leveled at Adam Cerra in his second year. He may get dropped a few times like Cerra did, but he will gain more from playing at this level than being at a level he is already above.

I think there are couple of additional misconceptions about him (in addition to the one about him not working hard):

(1) just because he doesn't look intense doesn't mean he isn't; when he is going well he still looks laconic but he is very dangerous and can cause problems for the opposition at a moment's notice. If anything he is trying too hard at the moment; that early kick at goal around the corner yesterday is something that he would normally nail, but instead he overkicked it. He could have had three goals yesterday from not many chances which would have been handy if had been more composed. He is not going to look like Eddie Betts or Jeff Farmer or Pickett - he just isn't that sort of player; and
(2) Henry is a listener but he is also a considered thinker in his own right and he will probably thoroughly self critique his own performance as well as taking in information from coaches and other players. I don't think he is someone that needs to be lectured on where he is at every second instance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is fine, light frame small forward in the current worst skilled team in the comp with 4 games behind him. Not even remotely close to panic.
This by 1000%.

Its harder for a player to play in a crap team than a great team.

Put him in Richmond with Lynch and Riowoldt and he stars.

Yesterday if we had Sturt, Walters and Lobb, Henry's lack of contested game wouldn't have been noticed.

What we do need is for Henry to get a tank and play the outside midfielder we need.

My only concern is that he tries to do something special most times he gets it instead of going with the first thought and then developing the special part after getting comfortable at the level. The one time yesterday that I can remember him disposing of it quickly, he muffed the kick badly. He’s off the pace.
What you are saying is true.

I would add that he is 3 games into his career and he needs to mature a bit.

His skill sets are amazing and I am very confident that is we have patience the guy will be a star.

Reminds me of Ian Hill who looked way off the mark in his first couple of seasons but towards the end of last year was starting to look dangerous.

Skinny skilful players take time to adjust to dealing with the big bodies.

Yeah the melts over Henry in the game thread were downright unfair, he's in a depleted forward line in his 3rd game of AFL, what do you really expect from the kid?

Suggesting a player is miles off where we need him to be isn't 'melts'. The reality is that the player we want in his current position needs to be much more adept at winning 1 on 1 contests in the air and on the ground. Henry is completely uncompetitive in the air and struggles in confined spaces when the ball hits the deck.

Now that's not suggesting it's entirely Henry's fault. I just think that as it stands at the moment, we don't have a position on the field he's capable of playing. If Lobb and Walters were out there we might.

Suggesting a player is miles off where we need him to be isn't 'melts'. The reality is that the player we want in his current position needs to be much more adept at winning 1 on 1 contests in the air and on the ground. Henry is completely uncompetitive in the air and struggles in confined spaces when the ball hits the deck.

Now that's not suggesting it's entirely Henry's fault. I just think that as it stands at the moment, we don't have a position on the field he's capable of playing. If Lobb and Walters were out there we might.
He needs time to develop in the WAFL and kick a few bags down there before he's properly ready to come back up to the team. But with all of our injuries right now we have no choice but to play him. We could also go the route of playing him every single week no matter what so he ends up learning by being in the squad every week in the big time.

He needs time to develop in the WAFL and kick a few bags down there before he's properly ready to come back up to the team. But with all of our injuries right now we have no choice but to play him. We could also go the route of playing him every single week no matter what so he ends up learning by being in the squad every week in the big time.

Or it could completely destroy his confidence.
His natural game is about taking the opposition on when he has the ball. If he doesn't do that then he's pretty useless.

When he has played for Peel he is clearly above the players at that level, so the reality is he isn't going to gain much from being at WAFL level, he is sitting somewhere in between, a bit like the criticisms everyone leveled at Adam Cerra in his second year. He may get dropped a few times like Cerra did, but he will gain more from playing at this level than being at a level he is already above.

I think there are couple of additional misconceptions about him (in addition to the one about him not working hard):

(1) just because he doesn't look intense doesn't mean he isn't; when he is going well he still looks laconic but he is very dangerous and can cause problems for the opposition at a moment's notice. If anything he is trying too hard at the moment; that early kick at goal around the corner yesterday is something that he would normally nail, but instead he overkicked it. He could have had three goals yesterday from not many chances which would have been handy if had been more composed. He is not going to look like Eddie Betts or Jeff Farmer or Pickett - he just isn't that sort of player; and
(2) Henry is a listener but he is also a considered thinker in his own right and he will probably thoroughly self critique his own performance as well as taking in information from coaches and other players. I don't think he is someone that needs to be lectured on where he is at every second instance.
Mundy doesn't look intense either .

Way back Robert Parish didn't like he was trying.

On TV you don't see the long unrewarded running.

I remember a basketball coach telling me that you need to stress leg muscles to jump, not your facial muscles.

Liam Ryan was rubbish first games, so was Frederick, Ian Hill. Shae Bolton
The skilful light framed always take a while to come to terms with the bigger bodies .
Liam Henry is a beauty, he will be a fantastic addition when he realises what he can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back