Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to make a huge call. I reckon RCD will become a similar player to Dangerfield. I wouldn't be unhappy If Wells calls his name out tomorrow night.

Massive call. I wouldn't be unhappy either. Doubt he will get to those heights though. Dangerfield is more a pure footballer as well as being an athlete. I'm not sure you could say that RCD has either of those characteristics albeit that he has terrific acceleration for his size. Have a feeling that GWS may get him before us anyway.

This talk about Bulldogs looking at trading pick 7 is interesting. My tip is that it will be with GWS for picks 11 and 22 or 24. Which would leave them still in pole position to take Smith at 11 before us and then get another kid like Butters or O'Halloran with the 20's pick. GWS in turn then use pick 7 to get Caldwell. What affect it has on who's available to us then gets interesting -

Ignoring the bids, I'd now see it as:

1. Carl - Walsh
2. GC - Luko
3. GC - Rankine
4. Saints - M.King
5. Port - Rozee
6. GC - B.King
7. GWS - Caldwell
8. Adel - C.Jones
9. GWS - RCD
10. Port - J.Clark or Hately
11. Bulldogs - B.Smith
12. Geelong - J.Clark or Hately
Ben King is the interesting one. I reckon he could well fall to us but I see Port maybe taking him at 10.

Ben King is the interesting one. I reckon he could well fall to us but I see Port maybe taking him at 10.

I agree he is the other that could slide as we don't know what the interstate clubs will feel about taking him away from the same state as his brother. If he's smart he's told the clubs that he wants to stay in Victoria knowing that Max will be picked by the Saints. That would open the door up for us to get him.

Massive call. I wouldn't be unhappy either. Doubt he will get to those heights though. Dangerfield is more a pure footballer as well as being an athlete. I'm not sure you could say that RCD has either of those characteristics albeit that he has terrific acceleration for his size. Have a feeling that GWS may get him before us anyway.
His attack on the ball, his hunger and his acceleration away from the contest remind me of Dangerfield. He's also got a really good football brain. Once he builds his tank I can see him becoming a similar player down the track. Right now he doesn't get enough of the ball but it took Patty 4 seasons to start finding his feet at AFL level. Enormous upside.

Geez that seems strange seeing as the most well known pundit we know Knightmare doesn't even think he is the best in this draft. How is it possible for someone who watches so much footy to get it so wrong if you are to be believed!! If he was as talented as you suggest there would be no debate at all!
There is no debate at all, Walsh is quite arguably the most decorated junior footballer of all time and is clearly the consensus number one in this draft.

So you reckon much of Walsh’s cachet is media hype?

Not at all. Clubs aren't influenced by media hype and clearly he is a supremely supremely talented mid. My comments are more to do with the talent of the other two. Really really talented mids are likley to be around in the very early picks every year. IMHO what is almost never around is a generational tall or the most talented kid a lot of people have ever seen in Rankine.

I agree he is the other that could slide as we don't know what the interest clubs will feel about taking him away from the same state as his brother. If he's smart he's told the clubs that he wants to stay in Victoria knowing that Max will be picked by the Saints. That would open the door up for us to get him.
Max will be at either St.Kilda or Port and if the Saints get in first they may just swoop on his brother. Who knows. If he's still there at our pick he'd be hard to pass up.

Geez that seems strange seeing as the most well known pundit we know Knightmare doesn't even think he is the best in this draft. How is it possible for someone who watches so much footy to get it so wrong if you are to be believed!! If he was as talented as you suggest there would be no debate at all!
Ports recruiting manager thinks he's the 6th best player in the draft behind Max King, Lucosious and Rankine.

There is no debate at all, Walsh is quite arguably the most decorated junior footballer of all time and is clearly the consensus number one in this draft.

Cause he won the best player in the u/18 champs? Hahahaha boy oh boy if you think credentials are the most important thing at junior level you need to learn a lot more. Why do you think Morrish medalists often struggle. It is because it is about projection. Perhaps more importantly you can't measure credentials when one is playing against kids and winning things against kids and the others are playing against men in the strongest comp outside the AFL.

Ports recruiting manager thinks he's the 6th best player in the draft behind Max King, Lucosious and Rankine.

I am not sure where I have him exactly but I certainly think those three are more talented. What they become is in the stars but right now the talent level isn't comparable.

Cause he won the best player in the u/18 champs? Hahahaha boy oh boy if you think credentials are the most important thing at junior level you need to learn a lot more. Why do you think Morrish medalists often struggle. It is because it is about projection. Perhaps more importantly you can't measure credentials when one is playing against kids and winning things against kids and the others are playing against men in the strongest comp outside the AFL.
Yes I need to learn a lot more.

If you think that Rankine is a better prospect than Walsh then you are the one falling for hype.

Aside from B.King, best we can hope for is that there is no trading of picks in the top group and that the Bulldogs opt for Caldwell. That gives us some hope of landing Smith. Only a very small one but if Bulldogs call out "Caldwell" then it will be a nervous 10-15 minutes or so before we pick.

Not at all. Clubs aren't influenced by media hype and clearly he is a supremely supremely talented mid. My comments are more to do with the talent of the other two. Really really talented mids are likley to be around in the very early picks every year. IMHO what is almost never around is a generational tall or the most talented kid a lot of people have ever seen in Rankine.
That’s true. It’s not a fait accompli that the Blues will take Walsh though, that’s just everyone’s opinion outside the bubble. Will they be scared off by the go-home factor though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I need to learn a lot more.

If you think that Rankine is a better prospect than Walsh then you are the one falling for hype.

Great response with nothing to back it up. Especially considering my opinions are based on watching them on tape and live over the past two years but yeah nah probably just falling for hype. So you are probably right.........um nah ya not.

Aside from B.King, best we can hope for is that there is no trading of picks in the top group and that the Bulldogs opt for Caldwell. That gives us some hope of landing Smith. Only a very small one but if Bulldogs call out "Caldwell" then it will be a nervous 10-15 minutes or so before we pick.
I reckon GC read out Caldwell's name at 6.

I think you’ve got yourself confused.
No I haven't.

The only way to draft them for Freo without trading down is to take them at 31 and 36.

It is highly unlikely that Pickett and/or Stack is available at 59.

36 + 59 for 44 + 45 makes sense IMO.

That’s true. It’s not a fait accompli that the Blues will take Walsh though, that’s just everyone’s opinion outside the bubble. Will they be scared off by the go-home factor though?

Definitely with Rankine and I can totally understand that. They may also be inclined not to take Luko because of their list makeup right now. However my argument is that you have to back your system and even if the worst case scenario comes to pass. Adelaide or Port will have to give up heaps and heaps if he fulfills his potential and then wants to come back. The thing is Rankine can learn to go into the midfield and become a impact player but what Walsh will never do is kick 3.2 in a first quarter like Rankine did against VIC Metro whilst kicking two goals of the year contenders and taking hanger. He missed the two easy ones and should have had 5. He could well have had 8 touches, 5 goals and a hanger in the GF of the best kids in the land. As my older brother said to me the one and only time he ever saw him live "I haven't seen anyone do things like this since Gary Snr!!

Great response with nothing to back it up. Especially considering my opinions are based on watching them on tape and live over the past two years but yeah nah probably just falling for hype. So you are probably right.........um nah ya not.
You yourself used Knightmare as your basis...lol

Walsh is the most decorated prospect in this class - fact

He is a lock to go number one - fact

Spot on, Smith is ours if the Dogs take Caldwell. Latest rumours have it as:

1 CAR Walsh
2 GCS Lukosius
3 GCS Rankine
4 STK M.King
5 PTA Rozee
6 GCS B.King
7 WBD Caldwell
8 ADL Jones
9 GWS Clark
10 PTA ???
11 GWS Hately
12 GEE B.Smith

Neither of those are facts. Rankine a genuine #1 chance. Not many consider Walsh the best MID in the draft let alone the best player.

We do need class players absolutely
Once Ablett, Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Henderson are gone, We'll be running very thin otherwise
For mine Ratagolea is a good second tall forward, so we'll need a class tall forward in the next couple of drafts or trades periods
Kolo is a third tall back. We'll need to look at a tall back also

Really not convinced. I'll give him 2019, but gee whiz he'll want to improve imo

No I used the point that the most well known pundit doesn't seem to have your super player in the top 5 in this draft as further evidence along with what I have seen. You have used awards and the fact that Carlton are likely to take him number 1 two very flimsy argument points. Carlton have a multitude of reasons outside of talent to take Walsh and what does decorated mean? I have argued articulately why awards are worth very little and you have responded with the same point whilst ignoring valid criticisms of why junior awards are worth barely anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back