Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a good point , are we adding another ute option or the potential long term Hawk replacement.

The way Fort is going who knows maybe he can give Sav a rest however IMO Hawkins long term replacement is not someone we have in the wings atm. , we are not looking for a player to play bass behind the lead singer... so we need someone we think long term is capable our #1 tall forward.

Is Woller that? Not being played regularly when young doesnt rule out Woller , Hawk wasnt a regular either but he played 9 and 10 games in 07 and 08 before becoming a regular in 09... not being good enough to debut ..is a question imo.

Maybe we do need a better ute type and Sav is our long term Hawk replacement ..in which case Woller is not tall enough. Sav needs a lot of work to get to that level.. a lot more than Hawk needed so I'm not sure he will be our #1.

Of course if Woller is potentially a #1 type his height is perfectly OK. In fact having your KPF#1 and your ute at 200 potentially might make your forwadline a bit big. The slight downside with a Lynch at Rich.. he is not someone id like to run much in the ruck.. if his marking form drops off a bit it can make yo a bit slodgy.

I guess id ask are we looking at value or serious talent and the cost that goes with that. All this falls your way as someone like 2mp sort of fills the bill in bother respects. He potentially could hold down #1KPF and also be your ute. Brander maybe he is potentially a #1.. its hard to say as not many u18 KPF look Hawk like but that last clip we had a look at ..he looks to have a presence.

Agree with all that..Wooller might be a good cheap get but you'd want more options.

I would assume if TK goes to WCE we will want Brander as part of the trade if its Freo we might ask about Cox or Taberner, or Wright looks like the best option to me if we can convince him to come.

Agree with all that..Wooller might be a good cheap get but you'd want more options.

I would assume if TK goes to WCE we will want Brander as part of the trade if its Freo we might ask about Cox or Taberner, or Wright looks like the best option to me if we can convince him to come.
I hope not .. he will end up being a KPD

They won't let go of Taberner, he is having a huge breakout year after six years of work.

They wont keep all their kpfs one will want out for gametime (maybe Cox or Dixon).

They wont keep all their kpfs one will want out for gametime (maybe Cox or Dixon).
Brennan Cox would be solid, and, surely, get-able.

I mean, being stuck behind Hogan, Taberner, Lobb and McCarthy is not going to be an easy task.

The fly in the ointment is whether Kelly would actually want to go to Fremantle.

Taberner? No chance imo why? Unless you mean Cox as a KPD?

No I mean T... I can not stand guys who are Peter Johnson Kent Kinglsey bad ; wastes of the ball. They just chew up all that energy and deflate the side. On occasions the marking is that good that he can get away with it.. like Hawkins in the GF or T the other day. T is a very good mark.. but I think he may be worse than Casboult.

I think the club may not share the view of the need to get another key forward as yet. We’ve added speculative key forwards over the last few seasons hoping one will work out. We know have an unbalanced vfl team with rucks and forwards unable to play in the position they are suited.
I’m on board to find a Hawkins replacement I just don’t think the club is ready to do so through a big trade commitment. Most of those in the right bracket won’t move without a big offer. Wright seems will sign soon and get a much better deal at the suns than geelong could offer. Brander should be a target if Kelly goes but he only recently signed.
Unless the right trade presents itself I think the club will hope those on the list develop while Hawkins is still here. If no one has developed by the time Hawkins retires they’ll look at a free agent/trade option then.

I think the club may not share the view of the need to get another key forward as yet. We’ve added speculative key forwards over the last few seasons hoping one will work out. We know have an unbalanced vfl team with rucks and forwards unable to play in the position they are suited.
I’m on board to find a Hawkins replacement I just don’t think the club is ready to do so through a big trade commitment. Most of those in the right bracket won’t move without a big offer. Wright seems will sign soon and get a much better deal at the suns than geelong could offer. Brander should be a target if Kelly goes but he only recently signed.
Unless the right trade presents itself I think the club will hope those on the list develop while Hawkins is still here. If no one has developed by the time Hawkins retires they’ll look at a free agent/trade option then.

I think there is a lot right in your comment...

Traditionally ..if you look at the lead up to Hawkins being ready to be #1 it took years. One might say they are aware that if they are going to do it thru draft that not only do you need the right player available at your pick , we probably already need to have done it. If Hawkins breakout was 2011 after a 2006 draft ..there would seem a 3 to 4 year lead up of playing with the senior player. Perhaps Sav is that player..perhaps he is not.

Also the FA and trade approach that is more the norm in this era ..that may be their mindset as you have suggested. In a way they might think .. Peter Wright would be ideal as PnP in another couple of years rather than now. When he is FA rather than now when he is a trade that would cost quite a bit.I think it would be 2022 so perhaps thats a bit too long .. but the difference is so great. Use 2 r1 picks to get him.. or get 2 r1 picks and then take the FA later.

My concern is if we wait.. we are backing ourselves into a corner. Last year with Lynch is a prime example. If that had been when we needed it what do we do if he still selects Richmond.. what if 4 other clubs all take the same approach and have the same need... and will KPF..there will always be other clubs in need. Unless the system changes the availability of KPF is rare trade draft but especially FA.. cause FA is not just having your cake and eating it.. its getting the cake without paying for it and eating. It may be the absolutely max best way to go , so much so several clubs may all want to proceed that way... that means you have very hot competition for that FA

I agree though I do get the feel the club always tends to have more faith in those on the list, the guys they have picked and are working with.
They present that are our future.. till they arent. Buzza has been mentioned positively several times by CS this year but it would not surprise if he was gone at years end. We have 3 potential talls on our list atm ..but not anyone that I'd say give me ..we have got it covered. Compared to a Clark where we have a HBF covered.

I reckon if we are wanting a Hawkins replacement then Peter Wright is the man, just a question of how much we are willing to give up for him. Jon Patton would be a bit cheaper to get but I don't trust us to get his body right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walker and Jenkins are on the way out. As is Westhoff at Port. I think there are a few openings not too far away.
Walker is their captain and on a long term deal Lynch has a long term contract and they need to offload Jenkins contract too. Even then they will pick Fogarty over Cox.

Port have Westhoff near the end but still have Dixon Marshall (maybe Watts if he gets back) and Hayes in the wings.

Cox would do a heck of a lot worse for gametime than Geelong as a KPF and backup ruck than back in SA.

No I mean T... I can not stand guys who are Peter Johnson Kent Kinglsey bad ; wastes of the ball. They just chew up all that energy and deflate the side. On occasions the marking is that good that he can get away with it.. like Hawkins in the GF or T the other day. T is a very good mark.. but I think he may be worse than Casboult.

Hes a poor kick for goal at FF but he knows how to find the footy can contest and run all day and backup ruck ok. In that Mooney leadup forward role he would do ok and I would pick him over Sav if he was on our list.

Hes a poor kick for goal at FF but he knows how to find the footy can contest and run all day and backup ruck ok. In that Mooney leadup forward role he would do ok and I would pick him over Sav if he was on our list.

Look at the way he "finds it" sure you would want that ability... but very quickly the kicking at goal would drive me to despair. Improve that and we can talk. And when he was upfield.. he actually looked like he could kick the ball... the white stick obviously play monkey games with him.. Its why I said I could see his marking be a useful backline add

I really think its a Waite situation.. if you rate the retention that highly then we may as well look at Casboult.. he would cost nothing.

Last edited:
Not as exciting as finding our next key forward. But if we could get him cheap I’d like Lewis Taylor from the lions. He’s still only 24, has pace, kicks goals and was a rising star winner. Yes he is small and we have finally found some players to play small forward role. But I think he would fit very nicely into our team.
The fact he is not getting a game and is out of contract should mean he would not cost a lot in trade value. Also he’s a former geelong falcon so fits our recruiting model.

If Adelaide we’re willing to offload Jenkins cheap cats should look at that even though he’s 30. He’s not a long term option but he would be a great addition to the team. But if we were looking at short term options to help Hawkins and Esava there’s more of those options than the longer term ones.

Not as exciting as finding our next key forward. But if we could get him cheap I’d like Lewis Taylor from the lions. He’s still only 24, has pace, kicks goals and was a rising star winner. Yes he is small and we have finally found some players to play small forward role. But I think he would fit very nicely into our team.
The fact he is not getting a game and is out of contract should mean he would not cost a lot in trade value. Also he’s a former geelong falcon so fits our recruiting model.

We have talked about Parish so I think its fair to compare to him ...

Parish presents as more defensive more tackle a game , more contest poss but a lot of stats not to much diff. I think Taylor is not getting games thru a lack of pressure ..so could he turn that around ? Not to mention any baggage but we brought in dahl so unless its real heavy bags id say we would consider him. Just who misses a game for him though?
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 7.22.33 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 7.22.57 pm.png

We have talked about Parish so I think its fair to compare to him ...

Parish presents as more defensive more tackle a game , more contest poss but a lot of stats not to much diff. I think Taylor is not getting games thru a lack of pressure ..so could he turn that around ? Not to mention any baggage but we brought in dahl so unless its real heavy bags id say we would consider him. Just who misses a game for him though?
I don’t mind the idea of Parish either they are not opposites but they are not the same player. Parish is a midfielder and 3 years younger plus a top 5 pick who plays for Essendon. All that equaling up to a trade value I think could be too high. I haven’t seen enough to show that Parish could be a star mid.
Taylor would be a much cheaper option coming in to play a role. He would be competing with miers, Atkins, Dahl etc for games. Burn Ablett won’t be around forever and we know too well that injuries happen. So a spot would open up for him if as you say he can show he can make the spot his through pressure. He certainly can apply pressure we’ve seen it before.
Both Taylor and Parish are young and at least good players with potential to get better. It wouldn’t be dissapointing to come away from trade period with those two at the club.

Look at the way he "finds it" sure you would want that ability... but very quickly he kicking at goal would drive me to despair. Improve that and we can talk. And when he was upfield.. he actually looked like he could kick the ball... the white stick obviously play monkey games with him.. Its why I said I could see his marking be a useful backline add

I really think its a Waite situation.. if you rate the retention that highly then we may as well look at Casboult.. he would cost nothing.

Casboult is way worse than Taberner. But i get your general point.

If Adelaide we’re willing to offload Jenkins cheap cats should look at that even though he’s 30. He’s not a long term option but he would be a great addition to the team. But if we were looking at short term options to help Hawkins and Esava there’s more of those options than the longer term ones.
No thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back