List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also had the WORST injury run of any team in the AFL this year (most games missed by those considered best 22 as of late in the year according to Champion Data or whoever), so we'd be pretty stiff if we don't have a better one next year.

I also disagree that only Hill will improve our team.

For starters Robbo was in our best 3 or 4 prior to his heart issues and was our best in the preseason games he played this year, so if we get him back he makes us instantly better.

A fitter Carlisle and/or Hannebery or even just having them for more games helps a bunch.

Jones will comfortably be an upgrade on someone (eg Newnes) and will along with Hill make us quicker, and so will Butler. So we could be a different team, with more speed.

I also see Howard as a likely upgrade on Brown, who is just too one-dimensional and lacking in versatility for the modern game. Howard is likely to be much better suited to the quicker and more athletic types that we've struggled with for years. He's obviously got something going for him if he's going to cost anything like a first rounder.

Then there's the potential for the likes of Clark and Coffield to really improve as soon as next season. It won't necessarily take another 2-3 years.

Then there's the Ratten factor. He might get more out of the group than Richo did and we'll have a whole preseason to get used to the way he wants us to play.

To lock us in to the bottom 4 at this stage is ridiculous IMO.

I agree with most of that, it still has to be more improvement than others at a similar level to jump them though. I think we will struggle to settle with such a huge amount of list turn over. It generally takes a while to get players all playing together. I don't think it's impossible that we could make finals just wouldn't put money on it. We still lack really high end players so we need Hanners to play a bulk of games, Marshall, Battle, Hunter Clark, Wilkie, Parker types to not drop off and actually continue to improve, guys like Gresham to get back to what they were like last year and Billings to keep playing like his early season form.

It's all possible but I'm more conservatively optimistic.

Holding my judgement on how good Lethlean/Gubby/Gallagher are.

So far the only thing i have seen is us offer up overs in pick 6 and something else for Hill which thankfully got rejected.

Nothing that i have seen thus far says they are any better than the previous mob besides getting players to nominate us by throwing cash at them.

By Wednesday all will be revealed.

We are all like people waiting for our first new car to arrive! We have been told it will be delivered on Wednesday but we want it now - we cant wait any longer. Have faith and remain patient people it will all fall into place.

And on the 1% chance it doesnt we keep players or go into the draft with some quality picks. Win/Win.

Go back about 2 weeks on here. 12 was pretty much the value everyone had on Hill. Now we want to give up 12 and next year's 1st.
I can't speak for everyone else but I have said all along that 6 is fair.

I also warned posters they were dreaming expecting a 2nd back.

What Bell asked for to start with was ludicrous, but the same thing happens with trades every year with every club. They expect to get a great deal all trade period and then realise they were off the mark.

On the points system that trade would be very close to 6 and a future 2nd

What I don't get is.....

The AFL are ******* Bipolar.

They don't want to eternally pay for Saints to be on life support. They sent in previous admin and now Lethers, Gubby to fix the club which clearly they are doing. However, why bother doing so when s**t like this, academy, FS, Zones are raping the pool of players along with Priority picks, f’ed up fixture, marquee games, ambassador payments and undercover expansion club handouts. It's an absolute joke. My rusted on grip to the game is slipping as we speak.

If Richmond or Collingwood or Essendon play deep finals it generates so much more from attendances to merch, TV rights and viewers etc. North, Saints and Dees, Dogs are feel good every now and again but not a great business model.

Holding my judgement on how good Lethlean/Gubby/Gallagher are.

So far the only thing i have seen is us offer up overs in pick 6 and something else for Hill which thankfully got rejected.

Nothing that i have seen thus far says they are any better than the previous mob besides getting players to nominate us by throwing cash at them.

By Wednesday all will be revealed.
So why didn’t we get more nominating us previously

Go back about 2 weeks on here. 12 was pretty much the value everyone had on Hill. Now we want to give up 12 and next year's 1st.

The longer the trade period goes on the weaker and more compromised next year's Draft becomes.

I still think pick 12 is around the mark. Talks of including next year's first which could be a top 5 pick is just horrifying.

"But the Dogs remained adamant Pick 13 is not for sale and resolute in their belief they can land Keath from Adelaide and Bruce from St Kilda while hanging onto the first-round selection. "

they're delusional, bit like Bell, time to move on...

get the Ryder and Howard deal done. go back to Freo get the Hill deal done. then make WB sweat on Bruce.

Once again the AFL are operating like the voting process to host the Olympics or the Soccer World Cup..

#Has anyone ever got to the bottom of why Frank Lowy handed $55m in a paper bag to a World Cup official..!!

Integrity is a word that no Sports body can provide a meaning to..

Over half a pallet in a brown paper bag?

Surely not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well there you go, re-signed. Not surprised given what I'd posted last night. Just hope now that next years first isn't part of the Hill deal.
Same
No way is he worth two firsts
Christ not many are

Crows -over half the team want out
Port - Howard , Ryder , Gray want out and Ollie Wines wants out

South Australia must have a problem
Yup
Sure do
Can you believe the shops don't open until 11am on a Sunday
Dead set freaking useless over here
11am ffs!

The Bruce thing is one of the craziest decisions I've seen our club make in years... The idea that we will give him away at a bargain price to secure Zac bloody Jones is just bizarre.

We also tried to offload him last year, it's a joke. We will be left with one genuine key position forward who is 19 and yet to debut.

actually you are getting caught in the perception of success onfield equalling success off field ... in 2010 we had a strong playing list but we were still a nobody in terms of the admin of our club ... if anything the fact we were successful on field plastered over the fact we were not going well off field .. the last time we had the legit chance to get things right and build our club to be a big club was in 2004 2005 but it was pigheadedness and ego's that got in the way of that and that led to a massive spiral ... we are on the right track now , its not going as fast as we would like due to the team success not being present but the direction of the club (should we hold nerve and stick to it) in my opinion is setting us up to future proof our club ..

We can only hope, they look promising so far. I still think GT and Butterss did more to set up an era of success than anyone in my lifetime. They might have done some dumb s**t as well but they deserve credit for the era straight after them as well....at least on field. The Seaford fiasco and poor on field management has prolonged both financial and on field pain.

That’s my point. We were so badly run in 2009 and 10 we couldn’t take advantage of something that was nearly impossible to stuff up. But apparently a good ceo is responsible for on field success so maybe nettlefold was good. Nah. Shows the silliness of equating on field success to a good ceo. As you say this is the best the club has been run for many a year. Since drake and Huggins in the 60’s actually
I don't know how many will agree with me here but surely the change of location back to Moorabin had something to do with it too? The facilities there are top notch

I'm in the same boat mate. Think that they have a great opportunity to knock this trade period out of the park, but until they do it's just baseless tribalism that is seeing is go on about our mob like they're the dog's bollocks.

Incredibly enough if we miss out on Hill we will actually be losing two players better than any of the four we'd be bringing in.
And if we miss out on Hill we can do the trade for the four players we are bringing without actually losing anyone so I'm not sure what your point is.

Paying overs for Hill simply to look "relevant" is a GCS strategy - we are not that bad.

If we miss out on Hill and Lethlean tells me its because the goals posts were changed at the last minute and St Kilda FC refused to be manipulated into paying substantial overs - I'll go away from the trade period a very happy man.

First day I've really listened to Trade Radio.

Why do they spend most of the time taking calls. I don't think anybody wants to hear it. They should just be bringing players or player managers in to talk potential deals and/or the progress of them.

So boring but happens every year. AFL reduced the period to 2 weeks but I think it needs to be reduced further. Give them one week Monday-Sunday to get it all done. Not like clubs haven't been negotiating with each other all year anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back