Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 10 vs. SYDNEY - Gabba, Thur 06/08 @ 5:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Too early to be saying things like "rebuild". We are only 2 points out of the 8.

I think we need to get very serious with selection this week. Pick our absolute best team.

Ben Reid and Jordan Roughead are in that team. As is Broomhead.

I'd bring them in for Varcoe, Magden and JT.

Give Keane one more crack...but this time as the 3rd defender where he can have a bit more freedom.

and Only a Game and a Bit out of 2nd Last

Every time i think of the Beams trade it makes me sick. 2 first round picks, i believe 1 we could of had georgiades who is showing a bit at the moment

That was probably 1 of the Worst Trades we ever did.

Sent us Backwards.

Lions Ripped us off Big Time

Jordan Roughead
Didn’t contest the AFL game or match simulation. A likely inclusion to face Sydney.

Tyler Brown
Showed what he’s capable of in the match simulation with Fremantle. Winning clearances and gave the forwards plenty entries.

Flynn Appleby
Emergency for the AFL side for a number of weeks. Knocking on the door for a call up.

Rupert Wills
In the same boat as Roughead. Wills’ physicality through the midfield could be of value against Sydney.

Jay Rantall
Played through the midfield against Fremantle, as he has all year. Developing nicely in his first year at the club.

Ben Reid
Continues to chip away to get his body to 100% fit. Didn’t contest the match sim against Fremantle but remains a forward option in the coming games.

Nathan Murphy
Mainly playing a running defender role with minutes through the midfield. Has stepped up a level in recent weeks.

Tim Broomhead
His work around the contest inside forward 50 has been of note in the scratch matches. A chance for his first game of the season.

Mason Cox
Rucked most of the day against Fremantle and held his own. Aerial work continues to improve.

I've had a long think over lunch, and I've come to the following conclusion.

1. We were 1 small defender heavy and 1 tall forward short. It seems we wanted to play Crisp on the ball to tag Fyfe, which is why we went the extra defender. Personally, I'd be leaving Crisp in defence.

2. We lack pace on the wings with both Mayne and Phillips out of form.

I would be doing the following:

Change 1: Reid in for Varcoe - As I said above, we are 1 small defender too many, so I'd replace one with a key forward. I think Varcoe is past it to be honest. I'd be putting the reliance on Noble and Quaynor who look to be the future, alongside Crisp and Maynard. I think it is time to consider playing a 3 tall forward line. We need targets. The good teams are all doing it. West Coast, Richmond, Brisbane, GWS and Port all have multiple tall options forward. We played Hawthorn with 3 talls and it worked. Reid is probably the best key forward we have on the list right now. It's his time to shine.

Change 2: Roughead in for Magden - We can't play both Magden and Keane. It's too inexperienced. Hopefully the week off has allowed Roughead to regroup. If not, then Dunn should be considered. Magden and Keane are interchangeable, but I'd give Keane at least another week, on a lesser opponent, to see if he can settle in. I think Keane is a real prospect, but you don't want to shatter his confidence by dropping him after 1 game.

Change 3: Appleby in for Thomas - Appleby has been one of the best in scratch matches, he has a real dip and looks to me to be pretty quick. JT is just horribly out of form and potentially cost us the game against Freo with so many poor skill errors. At worst, Appleby will have a dip.

Change 4: Broomhead in for Phillips - I'd play Broomhead forward, and put Daicos and Noble onto the wings for pace. Broomhead is very clean around goal. He may lack a bit with defensive pressure and workrate, but he won't miss chances when they present. Phillips unfortunately is out of form and offering very little other than poor skills.

I like the thinking behind this. We desperately need a crumber up forward to be front and centre and at the very least tying the ball up in a forward line. I've been incredibly disappointed with Stephenson's inability to play this role.

The problem is we have breaks of 4 days, 5 days and 4 days coming up and realistically we here have no idea who is able to get up for each game and who will need a break and if so, what week they need. Reid (who I want back in this week) would be unlikely to be able to get through 3 games in 9 days.

It sounds like Roughead’s going to come straight back in,which is probably a good thing.The defence looked very disorganised yesterday.

It sounds like Roughead’s going to come straight back in,which is probably a good thing.The defence looked very disorganised yesterday.
On access all areas, Matthew Lloyd said if Roughy played, in tight game, Taberner would not have kicked 4 on him. WhichI agree with.

changes mean nothing if we continue to handball more than any other team in the comp. this has to change now. Kick long to contests, get the ball moving! By the time we’ve handballed 10 times when 1 kick would do, the opposition teams defence have time to setup, there’s no space, chaos, pressure.

Broomy or apples deserve a run. bring both in and put daicos on the wing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m convinced we have to play 3 talls.
Preferably only one of Cox/Cameron.
Reid should be in the team with Mihocek.

Forward line :

Varcoe Cameron Stephenson
Mihocek Reid Appleby

Elliot the 7th forward.

Reid & Appleby can easily provide the same as JT & WHE. 1 goal, 3 marks & 18 disposals between them.

We need experience in the Center square with Pendles out. I didn’t see Sidebottom in a single Center bounce.

I still feel we are 1 short in the midfield. I don’t like seeing Elliot at every Center bounce. He’s an elite goal kicker ffs.

I’d play Noble on the wing. He’s got run and he’s willing to take the

Defence line:

Maynard Roughead Dunn
Crisp Moore Quaynor

Mayne the 7th Defender.

Id drop Phillips for Rantall.

Out : JT, WHE, Phillips, Keane, Madgen
In : Reid, Appleby, Rantall, Roughead, Greenwood

I think the impact of some family time will be huge, working in a position where I can be away for extended periods that last 3rd of a stint is killer being away from family.

I’d give Keane another chance. Sier definitely. And I’d bring Cox back. He’s had a sulk for a couple of weeks and might even be worked up enough to give a stuff.

How far off are Pendles and Greenwood?

Jordan Roughead
Didn’t contest the AFL game or match simulation. A likely inclusion to face Sydney.

Tyler Brown
Showed what he’s capable of in the match simulation with Fremantle. Winning clearances and gave the forwards plenty entries.

Flynn Appleby
Emergency for the AFL side for a number of weeks. Knocking on the door for a call up.

Rupert Wills
In the same boat as Roughead. Wills’ physicality through the midfield could be of value against Sydney.

Jay Rantall
Played through the midfield against Fremantle, as he has all year. Developing nicely in his first year at the club.

Ben Reid
Continues to chip away to get his body to 100% fit. Didn’t contest the match sim against Fremantle but remains a forward option in the coming games.

Nathan Murphy
Mainly playing a running defender role with minutes through the midfield. Has stepped up a level in recent weeks.

Tim Broomhead
His work around the contest inside forward 50 has been of note in the scratch matches. A chance for his first game of the season.

Mason Cox
Rucked most of the day against Fremantle and held his own. Aerial work continues to improve.

Seeing as Ben Reid didn't even contest the match simulation, he won't come in to the firsts for the Sydney match. If we're going to go tall, looks like Cox will be the option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back