Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 25 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most would agree that forward structure is our biggest weakness, but for whatever reason it feels like Enright is the least spoken about of the assistant coaches

We hear often of Scarlett & the Misfits, and that he really seems to have ownership in terms of our defensive set up

Fans have tended to be rather vocal about Knights as our midfield coach, and questions about what's happening with our midfield when that area doesn't function as it should

But when it comes to our forward structure, so much seems to be put on Scott & his game plan without a lot of talk about Enright & what he's done or not done

I know some will say "it's the head coach who accepts the trophy so it's all on them", but it also feels like now days that more is trusted to the line coaches with regards to structure, set up etc, for their players

I know that we're missing key players to our forward structure, but it just wasn't functioning today, and this is where Scott, Enright & the players need to sit down and talk about what's happening, what's not happening and what needs to happen going forward - get everyone on the same page

But from the first passage of play today, there seemed to be a disconnection between the forward line & the other players - Selwood with the early free kick & I could hear someone direct him to kick it to the wing where Smith was open & with space to run into, but instead Selwood opted to go long in the Hawkins direction even though Hawkins wasn't leading at the ball & had someone in the space in front of him

Hopefully when we start getting guys back like Dangerfield, Rohan, Cameron, & Parfitt, add in Higgins, fingers crossed Evans, it'll change things up a little and we start to see more movement & options presented from the forwards

Our forwards never lead up to the ball, forever trying to catch opponents over the back. Players also just call for the ball to be kicked to a contest. It's dumb and easily defended by opposing sides. Particularly in today's footy when sides love to stack the backline with their setups.

Captaincy needs to be handed over to Guthrie or Stewart. Selwood will still be serviceable but he's not capable of leading from the front anymore.

Leadership provided by Sel is far more than stats and missed opportunities.
He's an absolute General on the field, constantly directing play (which goes unseen) and never says die over the ball.
We are not the kind of Club that pulls that psychologically damaging kind of crap.
He'll go when he's ready, until then, be grateful he's our charging Viking that can still turn a game.

I was there this afternoon and we never looked like it.

Dalhouse has lost his pace, which was once a weapon.

Zac Guthrie is patently not AFL standard.

Close is very good with his hands and was not the worst.

The back-line is short of at least one classy defender with a bit of dash. Bews is just a battler.

Narkle lacks devil, passion or something... seems to wander around. He did so some nice things but I'm in two minds.

We were very poor in the centre and we let the ball out of our forward line too easily. I saw some rather feeble efforts at times.

We went round the boundary nearly every time, sometime when there was no need for it. Hawkins got the ball in pockets.

Too many of our chaps lack depth in their kicking.

I could go on but today we looked like a bottom 8 team and I fear that is where we will finish.

I would like to see Jarvis, Krueger and Holmes again but the coaching group are so very conservative.

Cheers
Yeah I always feel a ball in the pocket is a real pain :oops:

Last edited:
Lol

Damn! I should’ve known the only way to measure someone’s football knowledge is by asking when they started watching footy!

You got me good!

Ok, I’ve been watching footy about 4 weeks, I started following the Hawks but found they give up too easily...

I stand by this statement!

Ah, maturity. I got my answer.

Have a great night.

I listened to the whole game on abc radio driving home. It was amazing that I hardly ever heard a Geelong players name being called. Petracca, Spargo, Fritsch, Pickett were the names mentioned the most. It seemed that the cats were thoroughly beaten from that perspective.

Quinton Narkle with 56% game time,a cynic might say he got Constables minutes.

Agree that we don't look settled to forward, but I wonder with Enright & the forward structure is how assertive he is in regards to who he wants to play and how he wants it to look

As I said with Scarlett you get a real sense of ownership over our defensive structure & players, and that if he wants Kolodjashniji in the side, then he's in the side

Obviously we're missing Cameron up forward, while Ratugolea is also returning from injury may have been seen as a Cameron alternative until our new #5 was available, but does Enright put the case forward that we've been training for a 2 key forward & 1 medium structure all preseason & he'd like to keep as close to that structure as possible whether that means Jenkins, Fort or even Stanley or Krueger play up forward in place of Cameron until he's back

Because it seems we planned for a certain forward structure but now have no real back up option with Cameron, Rohan and even Dangerfield unavailable
Good points, it looks that way to me too.

This was to be expected, on we've played the first 3 games and community cup. There's been no willingness to move the ball at all costs and take advantage of the man on the mark rule, this chip it around garbage, does not put any scoreboard pressure on. Why did we recruit Smith if we're going to play this style, it doesn't suit his run and carry.

We need to change our game style, it's no good giving up 3 first round draft picks and Fogarty for a guy we won't be able to get the ball down too enough to use and bring in Higgins, who should have been played off half back to use his run carry and kicking skills instead of on a half forward flank. This is poor coaching, how many times did Melbourne play on from a mark or have a runner to dish off to and overlap and not allow us to set up from behind.

Also why play Holmes for 1 week? He was ok, why not give him 3-4 games to give him some confidence, but no let's play him as the medical sub.

Why is Jenkins on the list if we're not going to use him, we are crying out for a second marking option, we are too top heavy down back, where's a running half back setting up the play, skilled ball user, no we've got blix, Hendo, kolo and Henry in the same team plus news as a lock down, the only positives have been Atkins back and Clarks form so far

Can't stand losing. And at the same time I come out of games like today loving the football club more than before.

It's been many a long year since we've been tagged with something like St Kilda was tagged with last week, and like a lot of clubs - including Melbourne - have been tagged with. That tag is a clear lack of effort and leadership. Both of which we have.

It was a bad day. It's been a long time since we've had the worst days.

Some A+ talent to come into the team next week and get back on track, and build from there.
I am totally convinced we have a much better squad right now than how we are playing at the moment, even with the ins who are out. Why is that I wonder?

Any sort of evidence might be handy otherwise you just seem like an old man yelling at the wind that you are right with that opinion.

Not sure where you heard me yelling.

Anyway, I reference the history of the HFC over the last 40 - 50 years. Fair body of evidence on which to base my opinion I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We really should be 0-4.

Our 2 wins were paper over the cracks and today, Melbourne tore those papers down fairly easily.

Surely you cannot disagree, and if you do....... You are part of the problem.

I disagree. Since I am part of the problem, what do you propose as the solution? 🤣

Our forwards never lead up to the ball, forever trying to catch opponents over the back. Players also just call for the ball to be kicked to a contest. It's dumb and easily defended by opposing sides. Particularly in today's footy when sides love to stack the backline with their setups.
This is HUUUGE with us. Who is coaching the long bomb, cos it ain't working?

I can't recall specific incidents in the game against the Lions, but I can for our other matches where the ball carrier is pleading for a forward to present on a lead

- against Adelaide, first qtr Blicavs marks on the wing & gives a quick handball to Smith running past. We move the ball with ease down the wing to Miers who pleads for a lead, even takes stutter steps waiting for an option & ends up having to chip a kick hoping to create a contest but it was an uncontested mark to the Crows

The panned out shot showed we had 5 players inside our forward 50, all standing a metre or 2 behind their opponent and waiting for a kick over the top

- Last week it was Parfitt in space going the stutter step as no one up forward was leading.
While earlier in the match we created good run & carry on the interchange side of the ground, but when we looked up it was 3 Hawks in our forward 50 & no hoops in sight. We slowed things down until we could kick to the boundary line where we did have a player kinda leading to, but knowing it was better to set up from a boundary throw in than blaze away with a kick to no one

- today, Miers runs too far when he's 2 teammates ahead of him turn their backs on him rather than presenting as an option to kick to

Later, Miers again in space & approaching the 50 has no one leading with them either looking for a kick over the top or for him to go for goal which he wouldn't make from that distance & that side of the ground

Even the kick from Close to Clark, which was a good kick was a kick to a player running away from the ball carrier & getting it out the back

We really need to teach our forwards how to lead

And while I’m feeling a bit petty. Thought the close and selwood frees against-both looked like legit handballs to me. And I’m not one of the people who hate on Oliver but he‘s averaging about 1 legal handball per game. ;)

Quinton Narkle with 56% game time,a cynic might say he got Constables minutes.

I'll go the benefit of the doubt in that he played half a VFL match yesterday - so guessing the club was hopefully of Parfitt being ok, otherwise I doubt he gets a run in the VFL practice match

I suspect this nails Scott to his departure sooner rather than later. Just after he indicated that coaching was a crap job. Be interesting to see who they replace him with, by a new CEO too. Interesting all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back