Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 25 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

How did you interpret his comments?

I don't think I paraphrased him unfairly; he was having a sook.

Backtracked a bit later in the week with the old 'well, I was asked the question' ''defense'' which I found just as irritating; take ownership of your comments or else be smarter and don't give a straight answer (something that he is perfectly capable of).

I don’t need to interpret it.

The reality of it is a that it’s not an easy job. You can be passionate and love it and at the same time have some pretty big lows. Anything with that much pressure, vested interest, high profile and high stakes has amazing positive and negative emotional impact.

There wouldn’t be a coach in the world in professional sports who would think the same thing. It’s normal and very human. And him being honest about it doesn’t suddenly make him look like he hates his job.

I concede some pieces are missing, but I'm not convinced by the 'month behind in prep' thing.......

Maybe 'attitude' is a better word than 'motivation'. There seemed to be little desire for the contest today, and even the commentators noticed it.

Something just doesn't seem right. Will be interested to see if the inclusion of Danger, Cameron etc change my perspective.

I'm convinced it's a complete cop out. If you aren't ready to go by Round 1 it's your own fault. The AFL isn't tying players down preventing them from training.

Among the many pathetic excuses fans now make, that one is still right up there.

I'm convinced it's a complete cop out. If you aren't ready to go by Round 1 it's your own fault. The AFL isn't tying players down preventing them from training.

Among the many pathetic excuses fans now make, that one is still right up there.

Go and tell Dimma then, because he's said exactly that aswell.

I might understand it a little better if they said players were fatigued, given competing in a GF gives you a smaller window of downtime before the next season starts, but to be unfit??

These guys are professional athletes, or so we're told, and they're monitored and managed within an inch of their life.

Maybe 'attitude' is a better word than 'motivation'. There seemed to be little desire for the contest today, and even the commentators noticed it.

Both are correct.

Shame it takes the commentators to say it before some will admit it to themselves that perhaps their team isn't working as hard as they should.

This club hasn't been known as one that wins by out working the opposition for a long, long time. They're playing like the most talented team in the league, which they no longer are.

One positive was Brad Close's game; didn't deserve to lose his spot last year imo and really added something today, clean in traffic, didn't try to do too much - he's definitely my first choice small forward ahead of Miers, Dahlhaus and whoever else.

Those in charge at the club have forgotten more about football than I ever knew in the first place but one thing I'll never understand is how Dahl is getting a game over Close.

Had a crack as always. Not a ton of impact though and got burned the other way IMOO.
I know its sacrilegious.

It shouldn't be. Although the cult of the individual has come roaring back to life in recent years.

He lifted massively in the third quarter, and through sheer willpower got himself involved several times. But I saw what you saw - a lot of times there was no impact, he got caught a lot, and he gets exploited the other way constantly now. Opposition players aren't scared of him anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t need to interpret it.

The reality of it is a that it’s not an easy job. You can be passionate and love it and at the same time have some pretty big lows. Anything with that much pressure, vested interest, high profile and high stakes has amazing positive and negative emotional impact.

There wouldn’t be a coach in the world in professional sports who would think the same thing. It’s normal and very human. And him being honest about it doesn’t suddenly make him look like he hates his job.

Saying ''it's not a very good job, to be honest'' does make him look like he hates his job, imo. Also makes us look vulnerable and weak. IMO.

Fitness - Form - Game Plan - Familiarity - Rules - Sentiment Shift
These were the sinister forces that conspired against the cats today.
It was clearly evident the short off season left the Cats lagging match fitness.
The young Demons attached hard and fast exploiting the new Stand the Mark rule.
Meanwhile while the Cats seemed flat footed and flooded the back line.
The team appeared to be conserving energy early, saving for a 2nd half effort.
After the long break, Cats lifted their intensity and attacked more directly.
Despite constant clangers from virtually every player the Cats narrowed the margin.
The combination of a team badly out of form, an influx of new inexperienced unfamiliar players...
Whilst tinkering with the Game Plan on the fly, never allowed the Cats to maintain momentum.
The sentiment from the crowd and TV commentators willed on the young Demons.... along with the men in yellow.
It was hard watching the mighty cats struggle an a gloomy rainy afternoon.
Searching for positives, the bright spots were the kittens, Narkle, Close and Clark getting games
Jack Henry playing forward helps team flexibility.
Desperately looking for the return of Danger, Rohan and Cameron... along with form and fitness.

Both are correct.

Shame it takes the commentators to say it before some will admit it to themselves that perhaps their team isn't working as hard as they should.

This club hasn't been known as one that wins by out working the opposition for a long, long time. They're playing like the most talented team in the league, which they no longer are.

Imagine if we could instil Selwood's desire into the rest of the team.......

Not sure re Darcy - age and experience wise he seems a good fit, but I honestly just don't watch enough Freo games to have an opinion on him.

I'm inclined to back Stanley in, but maybe we could go down the Bulldogs' path and play De Koning, Neale or Sir Taps-a-lot and just accept that we will get smashed in the ruck while they gain experience, like the Dogs did with English. Some might say we're already getting smashed there anyway... no
Have it on very good authority Darcy will be car next year.

I just wonder how we planned to get it to Cameron, given we struggle to get it to Hawkins.....

Almost everyone underestimates the importance and influence of Dangerfield. Some are even saying he's no longer Geelong's best midfielder.

Dangerfield's presence and impact is beyond any other player in the side and has been since he got there, period. Those running bursts routinely dismantle and upset opposition defenders. We're now a opposition defending team's wet dream. Give them all the time they need to setup.

If that list wasn't bad enough, he managed to forget Mitch Clark as well.

When you don't take the position seriously, not sure why anyone thinks they're going to put time into recruiting and developing someone decent there.
The only good thing we did last years draft, for the first time since Trent West pick we actually picked up a 18 year old kid that rucks in Neale... and you can put the Greek in there in a way... with years gone pass we seem to go after a mature age ruckman.. iv got alot of hope in Neale could be our ruck we been hoping for in about 4 or 5 years time.

Absolute garbage comment

Why?

When a coach publicly says that coaching is a terrible job then I don't think it's at all unfair to question whether he might be suffering from burn-out, and to further ask whether that type of comment might reflect a deeper malaise which could affect the playing group under his charge.

Imagine if we could instil Selwood's desire into the rest of the team.......

Dangerfield too...

I would ask - As leaders, why can't Selwood and Dangerfield raise the club's expectations to meet this desire level?

The problem today, hard conversations don't happen like they used to. Telling someone to work harder may be seen as an insult, in which case you may hurt someone's feelings.

Almost everyone underestimates the importance and influence of Dangerfield. Some are even saying he's no longer Geelong's best midfielder.

Dangerfield's presence and impact is beyond any other player in the side and has been since he got there, period. Those running bursts routinely dismantle and upset opposition defenders. We're now a opposition defending team's wet dream. Give them all the time they need to setup.

Danger will make a difference for sure, but we still need more contribution from others too.

And, to be fair, Danger's entries into the F50 are often more chaos than precise passing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back