List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Must admit I am concerned that Kennedy will go around again as I feel it just hinders Allen's progression quite a bit. Got absolutely sick of seeing him down back.

We are a better forward line moving forward with Darling at FF and Allen at CHF, we have decent enough small and medium forwards to cover the rest.

If Kennedy is going around again does that mean Waterman is on the trade table? Maybe he should be anyway.

I'd have also liked to see Witherden replace Hurn for next season, good player who needed more games.

Move darling on keep jk. His role as replacing jk is over he is just a stop gap. So better trade him now

I think we should jump on Tobe Watson who was just delisted by Cockburn!

I think we should jump on Tobe Watson who was just delisted by Cockburn!

I think we shouldn't. Not great skills, not a great defender. Would be Behind Duggan, Cole, Nelson, Hurn, Witherden, Shep at least for a playing spot and doesn't have the stand out AFL attributes like speed and kicking that someone who is less physically developed like Johnson does.

He's also a ginger from Donnybrook so likely inbred.

I think we shouldn't. Not great skills, not a great defender. Would be Behind Duggan, Cole, Nelson, Hurn, Witherden, Shep at least for a playing spot and doesn't have the stand out AFL attributes like speed and kicking that someone who is less physically developed like Johnson does.

Hang on he is a HBF with poor skills, sounds ideal:p

I would have him above at bare minimum Cole

Loved the last part :D

I would have him above at bare minimum Cole

Loved the last part :D

1.9 metres, not as good at defending as cole and can't kick. I know cole had a mare of a last game but when you're one of the very last live rookie draft picks and you just get delisted by a developing side like Freo I can think it's safe to say he's just not quite at the level. Will make a very good WAFL player or could go back down to the SWFL and be a star and probably earn twice the money and get a great paying job as a semi celebrity.

Mind you I think it's still acceptable to punch gingers on sight at the Donnybrook Pub.

(apologies there were 4 more rookie draft picks from state leagues after him)

Wasnt Gorter also a not-quite-KP-sized backman from Donnybrook?

Wasnt Gorter also a not-quite-KP-sized backman from Donnybrook?

Gorter was from Kojonup, more inbred.

Last AFL player from Donnybrook before Watson was Ben Howlett who was actually a semi decent player but only got to and kept on an AFL list by working harder than pretty much anyone else.

Reckon it'd be weird if Hawks were into Brander, who has a lot of similar attributes to Ryan Burton who they were pretty happy to push out.

At the same age Embley was a far, far, far superior player. At the same age we're talking 2003 in a era where teams averaged 100 less disposals a game. Embley was also hard at the ball and you know kicked a solid triple the amount of goals per game from the wing. More disposals, more marks, much more offensive.
I don't think you remember early andrew Embley. He was very much and outside mid
In embley's 4th season he averaged
18 disposals 5.5 marks 1.6 goals and 1.6 tackles

Brander's 4th season he averaged
16 disposals 5 marks 0.5 goals 1 tackle

Also remember brander has been playing the defensive mid role not attacking like embley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the fitness staff under estimated the fact we were heading into a season with games extended from 17 to 22 + plus the longer 1/4's and also less interchanges.

I dare say the club will look into this big time.
Agree with all of this.

Those three are also the fighter and on field leaders who show genuine leadership, pluck and effort when we are up against it.
The most sobering thought is the reality that if we didn’t have NN this season we would have finished bottom 3 or 4.
Reality check should be that we couldn’t beat the wooden spooners at home.....: HELLO massive red flag.

As for the fitness issue ..... actually it’s a crisis .

For three seasons now we have shown many games we can’t run out for four quarters and we also have staggered to the finish line in the past three seasons as we have stumbled to play out the last five weeks of the season.

Clearly they are MAJOR issues with our list level of fitness.

Simpson has earnt the right to the fix the badly listing ship, but he and the powers to be should be under no illusions, there are serious cracks on a multitude of levels and it will take a deft touch to seemlessly correct the woes simultaneously.

We’ve had two very subpar preseasons for a variety of reasons but mainly due to delays caused by covid restrictions and players having surgeries heading into/during preseason that set them back

In 2019/20 and 2020/21 the senior players didn’t start training until after Christmas. Then in 2020 the players basically paused training after round 1 and I don’t think done returned in great shape*.

Last preseason started late due to the late finish of the 2020 season such that even the 1st - 4th year players started after Christmas. And then players from the eastern states had to isolate for 2 weeks when they came back to WA in the new year a problem that was exacerbated when in January (or early February) we had a weeklong lockdown that stopped us training right when we’d normally be maximising training loads

Now this probably should have been planned for and any review should look at the failings of our S&C department to adequately prepare the playing group

*Back to 2020 and the enforced pause and our underperformance in the hub when the season restarted - with no inside knowledge and just guessing I think that our problems began then due to a rift in the playing group perhaps due to some not maintaining the standards expected. Recall the Simpson rant in the Amazon doco criticising players (who knew who they were) taking the piss and not being disciplined.

Perhaps those rifts haven’t resolved themselves and they’ve only widened. This season, in particular, was very unlike what I’ve seen previously- players regularly giving up, arguing with each other and pointing fingers mid game etc.

If I’m right the club has done a pretty good job of keeping any discontent out of the media because other than a few suggestions on this board I’ve seen very little about it

The problems need to be ironed out especially if the club think this list has got another premiership tilt left in it

A focused and amended preseason this year is a must - and I’d like to see us put on some size across the board as I think we lack the physical power to go with the better midfields in the comp

Completely serious. Its not my fault if you can't recognise valid criticism

He has a point. Quite a few posts from that poster he's quoted and friends attacking the man not the ball just because they didn't like what I had to say about moving Simmo on.

A lack of courtesy is pretty much to be expected on this board. It doesn't matter who's cast the first stone as lot of people have thrown stones in here already.

Last edited:
He has a point. Quite a few posts from that poster he's quoted and friends attacking the man not the ball just because they didn't like what I had to say about moving Simmo on.

A lack of courtesy is pretty much to be expected on this board.

I agree with Guest1.

Move darling on keep jk. His role as replacing jk is over he is just a stop gap. So better trade him now

We'll never trade Darling.

Darling had a really poor back half of 2021, but moving him on would be a terrible decision. He would've been in AA contention around the half way mark. Probably on the borderline of a 40-man squad if one was done at that stage.

In any case, he is contracted for a good bit longer so we can't move on unless he wants to, and that would be quite bizarre on his part.

Last edited:
I don't think you remember early andrew Embley. He was very much and outside mid
In embley's 4th season he averaged
18 disposals 5.5 marks 1.6 goals and 1.6 tackles

Brander's 4th season he averaged
16 disposals 5 marks 0.5 goals 1 tackle

Also remember brander has been playing the defensive mid role not attacking like embley

Brander's been playing as a defensive mid? I haven't seen a defensive bone in his body. I can barely recall him being used as an outlet from defense and cannot remember him ever locking down on anyone. Maybe third man up using his height to spoil? Never seen it. Even Masten was more defensive than Brander!

Also even when evaluating the stats the first thing to factor in is that teams now average roughly 100 disposals more a game than they did then and more marks. So Embley having more disposals, more marks, more tackles and triple the goals really is an indictment on Brander.

You're right however, Embley at that stage was playing attacking football but also remember in 2003 he was by no means one of our primary mids or winger either, similar to Brander in that respect.

I havent seen brander show hardness at the ball in any game outside of his one performance at U18 level vs Vic Metro and as stated before they really didn't have anyone even remotely decent to play on him.

Brander's been playing as a defensive mid? I haven't seen a defensive bone in his body. I can barely recall him being used as an outlet from defense and cannot remember him ever locking down on anyone. Maybe third man up using his height to spoil? Never seen it. Even Masten was more defensive than Brander!
I think he means brander was used in the seemingly only west coast position of defensive winger...the guy who guards the side of the oval that the ball isnt,just incase a spectator jumps the fence

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The whole Yeo being unhappy rumor is true. There is a split in the team with a few thinking our training standards have dropped significantly and are not up to scratch and others on the other side.

Quite simply put, our staff tailor our training loads to match those who are struggling to get through games etc and not to the standard of AFL football. Hopefully Nisbett listens to the players and not the staff trying to save there jobs

Yeah, even from the outside where I am, it just seems that there has been something off in the club this year. The information you put forward here would go a long way to explaining that.

Hey now, I grew up in Donnybrook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back