Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 21 vs. Melbourne, Fri 05/08, 7:50pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel with Adams out. We are going to miss his contested ball winning ability.

Chuck a Maynard or Macrae in the midfield?
Maynard will be important down back to keep Fritsch quiet. Last time Adams was out a few weeks back, JDG did not play so he comes in to either replace Carmichael from that game or they play both to strengthen the centre and someone else gets relegated to sub.

The Adam’s situation is unpredictable but you’d have to think at his age and with history he’s 3/52+ out.

If Macrae has shown recent form an is inside predominantly, maybe we get him in now - blood him BEFORE finals in case we need him IN finals. Let’s face it, its a tough ask of a youngster with only 5-10 games and none this year, so the more time he gets, the better.

Grundy needs time too but ?? better firsts’ time than seconds’ if he’s any chance to be a serious factor in September.

My conundrum is Cox. We’re a sneaky chance for the flag but I reckon he’s the X factor that will or won’t make it happen. I don’t see us lifting the trophy without a power forward performance. He’s the only one that’s any chance to provide that. So I feel he has to stay in too. Then what to do with Cameron…?

We’ve seen some more of Josh Daicos at centre bounces recently and he wins a good percentage compared to others. I think we’ll see more of him with Adams out. Carmichael probably comes in as well so he’ll see more CBA’s and I’d say more Pendles as well.

I’d love to see Macrae get a run but it’s maybe not the opposition midfield you want to throw the kid in against.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We’ve seen some more of Josh Daicos at centre bounces recently and he wins a good percentage compared to others. I think we’ll see more of him with Adams out. Carmichael probably comes in as well so he’ll see more CBA’s and I’d say more Pendles as well.

I’d love to see Macrae get a run but it’s maybe not the opposition midfield you want to throw the kid in against.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree, we look a lot more dynamic with J Daicos in the middle and it gives me great joy imagining how things might look when Nick Daicos starts to go in there down the track.

And also agree about Macrae. He has earned his spot on form but now it's probably about maintaining his belief into the pre-season rather than throwing him to the wolves too early.

We were -2 or -3 centre clearances on average when Grundy was in the side which is a lot better than we're doing without him.
No doubt we will be better in the centre with him but it won't completely solve our issues, particularly without Adams.

Mihocek for Adams. Give Grundy another week to build.

In every ladder predictor I've done/seen, if we want to finish top 4 we need to win 2 of our last 3. It's a massive ask, but if we lose two I don't think it's possible. Will have to go and have a look at the key results we need to barrack for in other games!
I'd say cheering for Carlton & St Kilda against Brisbane will be our best bet. Sydney have two gimmee games, so I think they'll be there regardless. But I tend to agree, it feels like we need to win 2 unless Brisbane implode.

Each week we get closer and closer having a full strength side with someone returning from injury and then one of our major contributors gets injured.
Tay Adams is so important to our midfield Im hoping the scans come back okay.

Port had a very tall backline and instead of kicking bomb inside 50 we played a more 2017 Richmondy game style with the hack/ territory kicks forward making it a contest at the ground and that’s where we won it with Gini and WHE snap kicks at goal.

Hopefully it will be a similar thing against May and Lever taking what they do best out of the equation being intercept.

People saying drop Mccreery… No, He will thrive in a hot contested contest.

It will be good to have Mihocek back and make it harder for May.

I reckon 1 more week in the 2s will do good for Grundy as Cox and Cameron are capable on the big stage blockbuster against Gawn and Jackson. Wouldn’t be surprised if he plays tho.

Carmichael to take Adams spot with a rotating role with De Goey and Pendles will play more in the midfield.

Ollie as the sub.

Couple weeks ago I said WHE to find some form in the 2s… I was wrong so I want to apologise to the man.
Plays his heart out, doesn’t stop running.
He’s not getting as many touches because he’s that outlet role on the Half forward flank, he’s playing his role and we are using the corridor a lot more. As I’ve always said he is class. Keep doing what you’re doing pal.

Checkers in for Adams, if Howe is still sore then Ruscoe will come in.

DeGoey/Elliot/Pendles to take more mid time.

Can't see Macrae coming in this time of year as we build towards finals.

I didn't see the game but looking at the stats and considering the fat bastard he was up against I would have thought Grundy needed another week in the VFL.
I watched it. He needs another week in the VFl. He was very rusty as expected in the first half, improved a lot on the 3rd. Rested for most of 4th. Another week to blow off the cobwebs. Grundy never did well against mummy from GWS so it was kinda a vfl version of him. Much bigger body. A fully fit Grundy would take advantage of this around the ground. Not quite there yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspect Taylor out till first final. I also suspect it’ll be C Brown in.

Is Fin McCrae more in or outside?

Fin's been inside in the VFL and has great numbers particularly clearances.

The weekly lets drop WHE? No, nup, not happening. He stays in, he’s having a good year, and we have no-one to replace him who would do better.

I’m worried about losing Adams at this critical time, with our unpredictable midfield. It never gets a chance to settle. Can JC run out a full game? Is Macrae ready? Bianco as sub? Bring in an underdone Grundy?

Glad I’m not making the selection calls this week.

Each week we get closer and closer having a full strength side with someone returning from injury and then one of our major contributors gets injured.
Tay Adams is so important to our midfield Im hoping the scans come back okay.

Port had a very tall backline and instead of kicking bomb inside 50 we played a more 2017 Richmondy game style with the hack/ territory kicks forward making it a contest at the ground and that’s where we won it with Gini and WHE snap kicks at goal.

Hopefully it will be a similar thing against May and Lever taking what they do best out of the equation being intercept.

People saying drop Mccreery… No, He will thrive in a hot contested contest.

It will be good to have Mihocek back and make it harder for May.

I reckon 1 more week in the 2s will do good for Grundy as Cox and Cameron are capable on the big stage blockbuster against Gawn and Jackson. Wouldn’t be surprised if he plays tho.

Carmichael to take Adams spot with a rotating role with De Goey and Pendles will play more in the midfield.

Ollie as the sub.

Couple weeks ago I said WHE to find some form in the 2s… I was wrong so I want to apologise to the man.
Plays his heart out, doesn’t stop running.
He’s not getting as many touches because he’s that outlet role on the Half forward flank, he’s playing his role and we are using the corridor a lot more. As I’ve always said he is class. Keep doing what you’re doing pal.
Bianco out?

I can’t see Cox getting dropped this week. Maybe all three big men will play; who knows.
depends on checkers.

IF they plan on playing Grundy and checkers is available. They wont play all three.

BUT if checkers is still sore. That is where there is a loop hole. Fly indicated as such.

2011 peaking in the preseason, I can recall Buckley saying that we were gassed in the 2018 grand final…but these are not just our mistakes, we can learn form every teams losses.

Our biggest issue under Buckley was his unpromising game plan that I believe fed into injuries. I believe having your best players fit and available is what wins premierships…this has proven largely correct (excluding the dogs premiership) in recent times. Richmond built their dynasty on players being fit and firing at the right time of year, we were the same in 2010.

None of this is even close to the reasons what went on in those years. You don’t have the capacity to understand what MM was doing and sure as hell aren’t aware of Buckley’s game plan.

You’re a Dufflecoater. Who lives in fear from the ghosts of seasons past.

We are a KPD, KPF and a couple of quality mids short of what we need.

But we have a game plan that stacks up. And the boys have belief in themselves. Which might be enough this year.

But I won’t be curling up in fetal position if this year we come up short. We shouldn’t even be here. But we are and Fly will equip us with all we can do this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see the game but looking at the stats and considering the fat bastard he was up against I would have thought Grundy needed another week in the VFL.
I thought the same after seeing just the 1st quarter of the ressies. Saw full replay the next day and although a bit rusty, he improved as the day went on. Played all 4 quarters too. Was aggressive and can tell he really wants it. I changed my mind after that viewing, and if the fitness staff give the go ahead, I think he is ready to step in and replace Cox. Cox unlucky, but cant have 3 lumbering rucks. TBH, not a Cox fan, but I'm surprised how well he's played these past few weeks and credit to him for that. I never expect more from Cox than just playing his role, and for the most part he does that. Anyway, look forward to seeing Grundy back in.

I'm bracing for abuse from Wearmouth.

Macrae seems to have put a real nice block of form together I’d be looking to find some game time for him to see what he can do

Out: Adams, Bianco, Cox
In: Macrae, Carmichael, Grundy
Good problem we have at the moment is who to leave out. Carmichael takes Bianco’s spot in the 22 which may or may not happen and we have Mihocek to come in for Adams. Someone else has to go out for Macrae to come in and I can’t find a player at the moment.

Your view of Grundy is well known. I disagree. Nothing gained by regurgitating those discussions. His 1st game back after 15 rounds, blew the cobwebs out, will be better for the run.

Yeah I agree. It’s just disappointing that after all this he comes back with the same sh1t. He won’t change and we need him to so that we can succeed.

If he would change his game just slightly he could be the difference come finals. Him and DeGoey give us the necessary pieces to win.

But he looks like he is only interested in him. And not the team needs. What’s the point if he gets his 20+ possessions. 10 clearances and zero marks. And we lose.

Flag opportunities don’t come around to often. So when you’re in the windows. You have to take your chances.

Cox is averaging 3.5 marks a game this year, Cameron 4.3, Grundy 2.5. The suggestion that Grundy averaging 1 mark a game less than Cox or 1.8 marks a game less than Cameron offsets the differential in ruck contests and clearances is just too biased to be considered relevant.

Well done Molly. Great example of using skewed data to justify Grundy.

What’s glaring is that in his six games he averages 2.5 marks per game. But, Grundy’s last game produced 6 marks. After he copped a rocket. Without them he only had 1.5 per game. And now in the VFL he couldn’t even manage his average. With a big fat zero.

Cameron and Cox need only be compared in the games when they were free to play the ruck roles. These past 10 weeks combining together. That’s where they’ve almost averaged 10 marks per game combined. That’s what’s given us impetus to win those games. Not just their marking but set ups behind play blocking the entries.

Grundy doesn’t do that. And he needs to for us to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back