Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 21 vs. Melbourne, Fri 05/08, 7:50pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been undefeated since Nathan Murphy came in and since the Cox/Cameron combo started

I kept telling everyone Madgen was a MAJOR problem in the backline because the other 5 defenders were leaving their man to give Madgen a chop out. We've basically become the best defensive outfit since Madgen went out.

There's no reason right now to change the Cox/Cameron combo while we continue to win

When the team is as balanced as ours is, "because he's available" isn't really a good enough reason to just bring someone in anymore when the player(s) in the position in question is/are playing well. In my opinion, unless Grundy absolutely dominates the VFL or one of Cameron/Cox starts to drop off in form, leave the ruck combo as is please.

Not going to flame you.
Big ask to switch Cameron back now, he’d need to train it for a while first, (don’t think he’s up to it btw).
McStay used to be a backman and would have the whole pre-season to train there again.
Thanks.
Take your very reasonable point about training and knowing the patterns.
I reckon Cameron has been dropping back in the hole reasonably regularly, especially when we go Presti.
He’d adapt over a game or two.

Cox is one of highest-ranked VFL players and averages 6.2 marks a game in the twos. Grundy couldn't take one last week. If Grundy's output at VFL was questionable, why are we dropping a ruckman who is performing at AFL standard with Cameron? Cameron gets the AFL Fantasy points BUT isn't a headache for the opposition. Our clearance work, I believe, is a concern due to us not having the midfield composition right and teams no longer surprised by our game plan. Sure, Grundy is good but is there a way to include all three? Is there a way to have Cameron in defence?

Henry doesn’t offer much defensively.

In only three games Johnson has shown that he can do everything that Henry can do (take strong contested marks and kick goals) plus a lot more (chase, tackle, hit up team-mates)

Personally, I reckon Henry will now need to reinvent himself if he wants to be anything other than depth. Especially with Krueger coming back next year.

There’s talk of Henry wanting a trade to Geelong to play with his brother. I think it’s unlikely we’d get what we spent on him (pick 17) even accounting for two years of development, but I reckon we would take it.
Did Kappa hack your account? Bizarre post.

What role is Henry better suited to than the one he’s been playing?
Really? You can’t think of a better role for a sub 190cm player than undersized key forward?

We've been undefeated since Nathan Murphy came in and since the Cox/Cameron combo started

I kept telling everyone Madgen was a MAJOR problem in the backline because the other 5 defenders were leaving their man to give Madgen a chop out. We've basically become the best defensive outfit since Madgen went out.

There's no reason right now to change the Cox/Cameron combo while we continue to win

When the team is as balanced as ours is, "because he's available" isn't really a good enough reason to just bring someone in anymore when the player(s) in the position in question is/are playing well. In my opinion, unless Grundy absolutely dominates the VFL or one of Cameron/Cox starts to drop off in form, leave the ruck combo as is please.

You kept telling everyone? That's like telling people that the Pope is Catholic.

If it ain't broke......

Did Kappa hack your account? Bizarre post.

Honestly I really like Henry and reckon he'll be a gun forward one day, but on face value he has a bit of a point.

Next year with McStay supposedly coming, you then have Kreuger, Mihocek, Johnson, McCreery and plus the rotating smalls going through there.

Gonna be a tough forward line to crack into unless you're really in form. Unless of course McStay is brought in as a defender (which is what I'm kinda hoping).

Again, I would MUCH rather we keep Ollie but there's nothing necessarily wrong with the train of thought in that post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I really like Henry and reckon he'll be a gun forward one day, but on face value he has a bit of a point.

Next year with McStay supposedly coming, you then have Kreuger, Mihocek, Johnson, McCreery and plus the rotating smalls going through there.

Gonna be a tough forward line to crack into unless you're really in form. Unless of course McStay is brought in as a defender (which is what I'm kinda hoping).

Again, I would MUCH rather we keep Ollie but there's nothing necessarily wrong with the train of thought in that post.
Except that Ollie is a talented youngster who’s not necessarily going to have to play as a lead up forward. He has scope to play in other areas of the ground, and tbh I’d love to see him trialled in defence playing the Howe role. If nothing else it will help his defensive application, which he’s lacking at the moment as a forward. Best case scenario is he becomes that intercept aerialist in defence that we’ll need to replace Howe in the next year or two when he inevitably slows down and hangs up the boots.

I'm a huge fan of Grundy, I don't want him to leave next year and I also think he 100% makes us better, but this isn't the game he should make his return in. My thoughts are with being out for such a long time to come back to Gawn and Jackson is a huge ask, even for someone who is known to be an elite trainer and someone who looks after himself very well. Save him for Brisbane and Carlton.

Looking at this game, Melbourne really dominated defensively against Freo and the last time we played them they had injuries - May was out also (unsure if it was injury or the punching incident)

Mihochek has to come in (if fit), I also think with Adams going out it may mean Elliott and Degoey spend more time on ball than forward to cover so perhaps its Ollie Henry who also needs to come in. I'm excited to see what Henry can provide with Miho, Johnson and the resting tall (between Cox/Cameron) getting the better 3 tall/medium defenders what Henry can do playing on a 4th best banana.

Pressure is on McCreery imo, 1 goal in the last three weeks he went missing vs Port I felt. - I understand what he brings pressure wise but his tackle numbers aren't as phenomenal as you would think. Nothing personal against Bianco, it's tight for spots and I think we can cover what he provides in terms of where he plays on the ground, Carmichael is undeniable, two amazing Sub performances and was extremely stiff to get dropped in the first place.

In: Mihochek, Carmichael and Henry
Out: Adams, McCreery and Bianco

Except that Ollie is a talented youngster who’s not necessarily going to have to play as a lead up forward. He has scope to play in other areas of the ground, and tbh I’d love to see him trialled in defence playing the Howe role. If nothing else it will help his defensive application, which he’s lacking at the moment as a forward. Best case scenario is he becomes that intercept aerialist in defence that we’ll need to replace Howe in the next year or two when he inevitably slows down and hangs up the boots.

I don't disagree with you. As I said, I'd rather we kept Ollie.

On what you proposed though, I actually think Ash Johnson would be a better Howe replacement lol

Has the same leap as Howe, faster runner, taller and bigger body.

No need for apologies from you Jen - you have plenty of credits in the bank here.

The older I get the more I have to spell check and even ninja edit and at 68 it ain't gunna improve LOL

I'm a huge fan of Grundy, I don't want him to leave next year and I also think he 100% makes us better, but this isn't the game he should make his return in. My thoughts are with being out for such a long time to come back to Gawn and Jackson is a huge ask, even for someone who is known to be an elite trainer and someone who looks after himself very well. Save him for Brisbane and Carlton.

Looking at this game, Melbourne really dominated defensively against Freo and the last time we played them they had injuries - May was out also (unsure if it was injury or the punching incident)

Mihochek has to come in (if fit), I also think with Adams going out it may mean Elliott and Degoey spend more time on ball than forward to cover so perhaps its Ollie Henry who also needs to come in. I'm excited to see what Henry can provide with Miho, Johnson and the resting tall (between Cox/Cameron) getting the better 3 tall/medium defenders what Henry can do playing on a 4th best banana.

Pressure is on McCreery imo, 1 goal in the last three weeks he went missing vs Port I felt. - I understand what he brings pressure wise but his tackle numbers aren't as phenomenal as you would think. Nothing personal against Bianco, it's tight for spots and I think we can cover what he provides in terms of where he plays on the ground, Carmichael is undeniable, two amazing Sub performances and was extremely stiff to get dropped in the first place.

In: Mihochek, Carmichael and Henry
Out: Adams, McCreery and Bianco

This makes a lot of sense to me but I can't help thinking McCreery might be handy against the Dees because they like to "act" tough but besides Oliver, Neale-Bullen and Viney they are more like a Blancmange....we might get an edge if McCreery plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back