Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 21 vs. Melbourne, Fri 05/08, 7:50pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But he would want to do this more than once or twice. Quality is certainly important, but if this tackle, superb and timely as it may have been, was the only thing he did of significance (which I am not saying was the case as I have not seen his stats), then would that have been sufficient to guarantee him a game next week?

There really isn't anyone pressing him for his spot so I don't want to suggest he should be omitted (I have already copped enough flak over my unpopular mental health stance). However let's at least apply some perspective to the performance. Does anyone have his stats from last week? I'd love to love the boy - just give me a statistical foundation on which to build this love.
He doesn't get much of the ball so I'd assume, knowing very little about stats, pressure acts would be the key.

But he would want to do this more than once or twice. Quality is certainly important, but if this tackle, superb and timely as it may have been, was the only thing he did of significance (which I am not saying was the case as I have not seen his stats), then would that have been sufficient to guarantee him a game next week?

There really isn't anyone pressing him for his spot so I don't want to suggest he should be omitted (I have already copped enough flak over my unpopular mental health stance). However let's at least apply some perspective to the performance. Does anyone have his stats from last week? I'd love to love the boy - just give me a statistical foundation on which to build this love.
Top 20 in the competition for tackles I50 (Elliott is #1!), top 10% in the league for tackles as a forward, top 35% in the league for average pressure acts as a forward, top 10% in 1%ers per game as a forward.

Not at all glamour stats, but huge to our forward half pressure

Top 20 in the competition for tackles I50 (Elliott is #1!), top 10% in the league for tackles as a forward, top 35% in the league for average pressure acts as a forward, top 10% in 1%ers per game as a forward.

Not at all glamour stats, but huge to our forward half pressure
I want to see his stats for the last week or two. Player stat averages don't protect them from a drop in form. I have seen some good games from him, but nothing in recent weeks that would suggest his spot in the team is set in concrete. Henry enjoyed the same level of support on this board with numerous posters all but claiming him untouchable - until he was omitted. Am I asking for too much?

I want to see his stats for the last week or two. Player stat averages don't protect them from a drop in form. I have seen some good games from him, but nothing in recent weeks that would suggest his spot in the team is set in concrete. Henry enjoyed the same level of support on this board with numerous posters all but claiming him untouchable - until he was omitted. Am I asking for too much?
His tackles & pressure acts have been fairly in line with average.

Except against Port, he registered 32 pressure acts. That is by far the most for the whole game. 32 is elite.

If he misses a couple of games he can forget a return this season. No way should he play his first game for months in the finals. I would rather stick with the 2 guys who have presided over our last 10 wins.
Yeah, that kind of experimentation come finals time would be madness. Hopefully it's just a minor tweak so we are fully fit for September with Brodie and Taylor.

He CAN definitely play behind the ball, but WHY...when we've been crying out for some true forwards for a decade do we send a REAL one to half back. Howe was sent there initially by Melb because he wasn't able to convert as a forward. Ollie has shown he can convert. For mine, you build a forward line around Checkers, Johnson, Ollie, Elliot and Ginnivan. Let the opposition try and stop all of them!
I agree with you.
Ollie's future is as a forward - he's already kicked some magical goals.
And Checkers won't be around forever. Different type of player, though.
It's more that he COULD play back at a pinch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I think it coincided with injury, an extreme measure by normal standards, I assume they wouldn’t have given him the length of time to build his fitness base if we were on the cusp of finals. It reinforces my argument that you don’t always need to select your best players week in week out, and that at times it can make sense to give players extra time in order to recover, rest or build form.

I’m suggesting a select few could do with a spell to ensure they are cherry ripe for finals.

Doubt we’ll ever look at selecting players who are unavailable due to injury. Also doubt it reinforces your argument that we didn’t and even sent Swanny OS while he was. Very long bow.

Well done Molly. Great example of using skewed data to justify Grundy.

What’s glaring is that in his six games he averages 2.5 marks per game. But, Grundy’s last game produced 6 marks. After he copped a rocket. Without them he only had 1.5 per game. And now in the VFL he couldn’t even manage his average. With a big fat zero.

Cameron and Cox need only be compared in the games when they were free to play the ruck roles. These past 10 weeks combining together. That’s where they’ve almost averaged 10 marks per game combined. That’s what’s given us impetus to win those games. Not just their marking but set ups behind play blocking the entries.

Grundy doesn’t do that. And he needs to for us to succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh wow, Grundy has games where he has more marks than in others? Lucky Cox and Cameron are consistently hitting their averages…. oh wait…

….. and shock horror, Cox and Cameron take more marks combined than Grundy does on his own… clearly earth shattering analysis.

Fair enough. I don't see Grundy offering a better option as a forward nor as a extra pair of hands in defense. I am a Cox fan but I don't see the immediate upside Fly assures us will be apparent whenever Brodie returns.

But we can all comfortably assume that any game we lose with Grundy in the team, BF will proclaim it’s Grundy’s fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back