Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 21 vs. Melbourne, Fri 05/08, 7:50pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does our midfield mix look like. I actually don't mind J Daicos in centre stoppages, he has good evasiveness and is clean at ground level. He can then move to the wing in general play.

I'd also give Maynard a few minutes rotating with Crisp, we need someone to cover Tay and JDG can't do it alone.

Pressure is on McCreery imo, 1 goal in the last three weeks he went missing vs Port I felt. - I understand what he brings pressure wise but his tackle numbers aren't as phenomenal as you would think. Nothing personal against Bianco, it's tight for spots and I think we can cover what he provides in terms of where he plays on the ground, Carmichael is undeniable, two amazing Sub performances and was extremely stiff to get dropped in the first place.

In: Mihochek, Carmichael and Henry
Out: Adams, McCreery and Bianco
Be careful if you don't wish to be ostracised. Questioning McCreery's output on this board is akin to smacking Baby Jesus or shooting Bambi.

This makes a lot of sense to me but I can't help thinking McCreery might be handy against the Dees because they like to "act" tough but besides Oliver, Neale-Bullen and Viney they are more like a Blancmange....we might get an edge if McCreery plays
Agree, and will add McCreery, as a defensive fwd to stop the run of Salem or Hunt will be important.

Be careful if you don't wish to be ostracised. Questioning McCreery's output on this board is akin to smacking Baby Jesus or shooting Bambi.

No just questioning his output on a role he clearly hasn't been designated to play

Unless there's a severe drop off in form in the role he's currently playing (as there was for a few weeks after he returned from his hip injury) McCreery won't be getting dropped again this season

This makes a lot of sense to me but I can't help thinking McCreery might be handy against the Dees because they like to "act" tough but besides Oliver, Neale-Bullen and Viney they are more like a Blancmange....we might get an edge if McCreery plays
I'm not too worried about toughness, I think Maynard, Degoey and even Murphy like to have a red hot crack.

Let it be known to the board I love McCreery and what he provides, but I think with Adams going out and not really having anyone that is a like for like inside for him, we will need to rotate in others to cover his role. Elliott will 100% be that player, which means in my opinion we will need another marking presence this week and I would take Henry over McCreery.

Without looking at the stats I would say Elliott and Lipinski would have around the same amount of tackles and tackles inside 50 than McCreery which to me means we can statistically cover him, just my thoughts!

No just questioning his output on a role he clearly hasn't been designated to play

Unless there's a severe drop off in form in the role he's currently playing (as there was for a few weeks after he returned from his hip injury) McCreery won't be getting dropped again this season
His run-down tackle at a key moment in Q4 on Saturday a reminder that it aint quantity but quality (and timeliness!)

I don't disagree with you. As I said, I'd rather we kept Ollie.

On what you proposed though, I actually think Ash Johnson would be a better Howe replacement lol

Has the same leap as Howe, faster runner, taller and bigger body.
Not sure Howes role requires the extra height, particularly since Ollie has spring heels himself. You’re right though, I’m that either of them could potentially move back and fill that role.

Really? You can’t think of a better role for a sub 190cm player than undersized key forward?

Depends what that sub 190cm player can do.

In Henry’s case, he is a strong contested mark, he leads well, he has a beautiful set shot kick.

But what else can he do?

He has no tank. He has no defensive game. Maybe it will come in time, but for some players it doesn’t (Eg: Fasolo, BenKen )

B Noble Murphy Howe
HB Maynard Moore Quaynor
C J.Daicos Crisp Lipinski
HF Sidebottom Johnson Henry
F Elliot Miochek Ginnivan
FOLL- Grundy N.Daicos De Goey
I/C- Pendlebury, Cameron, WHE, Macrae
Sub- Carmichael

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not too worried about toughness, I think Maynard, Degoey and even Murphy like to have a red hot crack.

Let it be known to the board I love McCreery and what he provides, but I think with Adams going out and not really having anyone that is a like for like inside for him, we will need to rotate in others to cover his role. Elliott will 100% be that player, which means in my opinion we will need another marking presence this week and I would take Henry over McCreery.

Without looking at the stats I would say Elliott and Lipinski would have around the same amount of tackles and tackles inside 50 than McCreery which to me means we can statistically cover him, just my thoughts!
Just a question, because I don't really know, but could McCreery actually share the Adams role? He's tough, has speed and reads it well. His disposal is excellent as well.

Just a question, because I don't really know, but could McCreery actually share the Adams role? He's tough, has speed and reads it well. His disposal is excellent as well.

He's untried in that area (at least in AFL games) so I doubt at round 21 in against Melbourne we start trialling him on ball when we have covered for Adams and Degoey on/off since the bye and likewise with Maynard.

Physically though I don't see why he couldn't.

Depends what that sub 190cm player can do.

In Henry’s case, he is a strong contested mark, he leads well, he has a beautiful set shot kick.

But what else can he do?

He has no tank. He has no defensive game. Maybe it will come in time, but for some players it doesn’t (Eg: Fasolo, BenKen )
Extremely short sighted view imo.

I'm not sure hes ready yet, but the day will certainly come when he gets a run in the midfield and it will be bonecrushingly glorious!

I'm not sure if Carmichaels has the tank to replace Adams.
So I'd move Maynard to the midfield to offer grunt, and bring in Ruscoe who hasn't done much wrong at HB.
If we're ever going to test Maynard as mid the next 3 weeks are perfect while Adams recovers. Similarly Ruscoe at HB.

I like this idea!

Except that Ollie is a talented youngster who’s not necessarily going to have to play as a lead up forward. He has scope to play in other areas of the ground, and tbh I’d love to see him trialled in defence playing the Howe role. If nothing else it will help his defensive application, which he’s lacking at the moment as a forward. Best case scenario is he becomes that intercept aerialist in defence that we’ll need to replace Howe in the next year or two when he inevitably slows down and hangs up the boots.
Knightmare had this to say about Ollie in his draft year:

16. GWS - Oliver Henry
Height, Weight:
188cm, 76kg
Profile: Younger brother of Geelong's Jack Henry, Oliver Henry is a medium marking type with the capabilities to play either forward or in defence. Oliver is impressive aerially and is effective both behind the ball as an intercept mark or up forward with his work on the lead.

So he could certainly develop Howe type skills.

I'm concerned about Adams going out. Apart from Degoey, we don't have a hardnut in the midfield to nullify their big 3 in Petracca, Oliver and Viney. Only couple of years ago, we had Mayne, Sier, Greenwood, wills. Now our cupboards are completely bare.

Not sure Mr Sier ever qualified as a hard nut…

I get your sentiments. Love to see him spend a few minutes on Oliver for example....just for a trial.

Knightmare had this to say about Ollie in his draft year:

16. GWS - Oliver Henry
Height, Weight:
188cm, 76kg
Profile: Younger brother of Geelong's Jack Henry, Oliver Henry is a medium marking type with the capabilities to play either forward or in defence. Oliver is impressive aerially and is effective both behind the ball as an intercept mark or up forward with his work on the lead.

So he could certainly develop Howe type skills.

He CAN definitely play behind the ball, but WHY...when we've been crying out for some true forwards for a decade do we send a REAL one to half back. Howe was sent there initially by Melb because he wasn't able to convert as a forward. Ollie has shown he can convert. For mine, you build a forward line around Checkers, Johnson, Ollie, Elliot and Ginnivan. Let the opposition try and stop all of them!

His run-down tackle at a key moment in Q4 on Saturday a reminder that it aint quantity but quality (and timeliness!)
But he would want to do this more than once or twice. Quality is certainly important, but if this tackle, superb and timely as it may have been, was the only thing he did of significance (which I am not saying was the case as I have not seen his stats), then would that have been sufficient to guarantee him a game next week?

There really isn't anyone pressing him for his spot so I don't want to suggest he should be omitted (I have already copped enough flak over my unpopular mental health stance). However let's at least apply some perspective to the performance. Does anyone have his stats from last week? I'd love to love the boy - just give me a statistical foundation on which to build this love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back