Traded Izak Rankine traded to Adelaide with #46 & F4 (Freo) for #5, F3 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

No, just that he was a flight risk more generally. He was pretty clear in saying that staying in SA was his preference. I think that might have changed somewhat, because he did seem set to re-sign for a while.

That being said, that's probably not too different to most draftees, but most of them just don't say it. Dunkley and Perkins are the only 2 (excluding FS and Academy players) I can recall off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more.
Did they get fined like 25 grand like Brett Chalmers in the 1990’s for draft manipulation?
like that’s a pretty fair whack which was a precedent.

People in this thread have been claiming the reported 800k/year offer to Rankine was an exaggeration. Are you suggesting it's actually an underestimate and Adelaide are offering 1m/year?
I would have thought you knew how clubs get players through to their pick in the PSD.
It's like this. A player nominates his salary and conditions (ie wage and length of contract) which will have to be honoured by any club that drafts him.
If the Crows are going to pay him 800k each year for five years (total 4 million over 5 years), maybe a club like Essendon will pay that.
So Adelaide and Rankine work together to get past that.
Rankine will nominate a 3 year contract at 1 million a year. Essendon wont pay that much for him.
So when Adelaide draft him they agree to 3 years at 1 million a year, and then he signs an extension for another 2 years extra at 500k a season.
So Rankine gets to Adelaide on the originally agreed upon 5 years at an average of 800k. Three years at 1 mill and two years at 500k.

Don't worry, if Rankine goes to the national draft, he will get to Adelaide.

One thing to keep in mind is that pick 5 wont be pick 5.

A north PP (I hope it wont be this early, but...), and Ashcroft would easily push it back to at least 7.
If North get a PP it will be the same as what Carlton got. And end of first round.
The AFL screwed up when they gave GC the PPs they did. That will never happen again.
You were never going to be able to get Ashcroft, so if he's taken at pick 2 or pick 7 it won't make one bit of difference about who will be there at that pick.

Did they get fined like 25 grand like Brett Chalmers in the 1990’s for draft manipulation?

Happens all the time these days, Chad Wingard, Archie Perkins, Bailey Smithl telling Interstate clubs they would go home in 2 years time

The Suns just got blown our of the water by a massive contract by the Crows they couldn't possibly match.

I always thought Lukosius was the bigger flight risk/more likely to return to SA than Rankine.

I don't think Gold Coast should be criticised for drafting Rankine tbh.

T
Happens all the time these days, Chad Wingard, Archie Perkins, Bailey Smithl telling Interstate clubs they would go home in 2 years time

The Suns just got blown our of the water by a massive contract by the Crows they couldn't possibly match.

I always thought Lukosius was the bigger flight risk/more likely to return to SA than Rankine.

I don't think Gold Coast should be criticised for drafting Rankine tbh.
This. The way I see it is that Free Agency applies to all players now… regardless of what the rules say. As soon as a contract ends, you have no real leverage over that player anymore - the sooner we leave these murky waters of a player still belonging to a club despite no contract the better off we’ll be.

Nothing wrong with Crows offering big money; we have the power to match, offer more, etc. if we don’t, that’s just how player movement works nowadays. Equalisation is all in the salary cap. Sucks as a GC supporter, but this just feels like a player being poached for big money, which is normal. I can live with this.

Pick 5 and change.

Yep, I don't think this one is that hard to be honest compared to some trades..I think it will be something like that but maybe a third club gets involved with a player.

That is about his worth but I get Gold Coast may not need the pick but I guarantee you if other clubs think they could get pick 5 then they will be lining up to get involved and offer up a player/picks.

What we pay him is somewhat irrelevant to his trade value, the fact is our list is average and we have to pay 95% of the cap.

Last edited:
Yep, I don't think this one is that hard to be honest compared to some trades..I think it will be something like that but maybe a third club gets involved with a player.

What we pay him is somewhat irrelevant to his trade value, the fact is our list is average and we have to pay 95% of the cap.

It's relevant because it shows that you value him highly. It does not mean that his value is X though.

Adelaide don't seem to think so given they're willing to pay him more than one of the greatest small forwards in history in Eddie betts.

You'd pay pick 5 for a player of betts calibre in a heartbeat. Hawthorn paid pick 7 for Cyril and I doubt they're looking back disappointed.

Betts was 27 when he came to us. Rankine is 22. Huge difference in possible games to be played, unlimited ceiling at this point, etc.

T

This. The way I see it is that Free Agency applies to all players now… regardless of what the rules say. As soon as a contract ends, you have no real leverage over that player anymore - the sooner we leave these murky waters of a player still belonging to a club despite no contract the better off we’ll be.

Nothing wrong with Crows offering big money; we have the power to match, offer more, etc. if we don’t, that’s just how player movement works nowadays. Equalisation is all in the salary cap. Sucks as a GC supporter, but this just feels like a player being poached for big money, which is normal. I can live with this.

A balanced post from a Suns supporter on this. Well said.
It does suck having a player poached for big money. Sort of like when that player was Nathan Bock who was All Australian.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None were instances of draft manipulation, because as Rankine demonstrates there's nothing to actually stop an interstate club from picking the player up regardless.

A balanced post from a Suns supporter on this. Well said.
It does suck having a player poached for big money. Sort of like when that player was Nathan Bock who was All Australian.
Yeah, as compared to the balanced posts from Crows fans, or fans of any club involved in a trade ever. What a silly post.

No, just that he was a flight risk more generally. He was pretty clear in saying that staying in SA was his preference. I think that might have changed somewhat, because he did seem set to re-sign for a while.

That being said, that's probably not too different to most draftees, but most of them just don't say it. Dunkley and Perkins are the only 2 (excluding FS and Academy players) I can recall off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more.
Don't forget Smith getting a letter from his doctor saying that he had anxiety and that moving interstate would cause more mental health issues on him, and then sending it to every interstate club.
I don't remember the AFL cracking down on him. Of course, because he was a Vic kid.

T

It’s such a messy system, I think the AFL should make all out of contract players free agents.

Pick 5 is about right on the money.
Maybe with a 3rd rounder headed back to the Crows.
Both teams will puff their chests out (as is what happens in trade week) but reality is it will go through for the Crows first pick with maybe something coming back. In the meantime there will be talks of the PSD and all that nonsense.

TBH I think major hurdle in this trade is whether it will be this years first or a future first. I’d imagine GC will want this years, where as AFC would prefer it to be a future first

TBH I think major hurdle in this trade is whether it will be this years first or a future first. I’d imagine GC will want this years, where as AFC would prefer it to be a future first

Gold Coast should (and won't) settle for anything less than a top ten pick in this year's draft for Rankine. Crows can try split the pick if they want, but it still has to be a pick in the top 10 for Gold Coast to accept.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back