Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Melbourne Demons (Round 12, Mon 10/06 3:20pm MCG) FREEZE MND

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a midfielder he is:
Slow
Doesn't extract his own ball.
Isn't able to stand up in a tackle and distribute.
Can't run away from congestion.
Can't keep up with his apponent.
Doesn't have elite disposal or quick midfield mindset.
Is not accountable as a midfielder.
looks for the easy ball in pockets, over laps, etc.
Kicks side ways and generally risk free.

Do I need to go on.

Philips?

Yes, I think it does describe Phillips a little. I don't see Phillips as a defensive player though. Phillips uses his elite running to be an attacking footballer. While his foot skills are hit and miss he does have penetration. Phillips also hits the score board regularly.

I don't have either of Phillips or Mayne in my best 22 if CFC had a fit list.

This game is their Grand Final whilst it's just another game for us. I'm expecting them to play out of their skins then go back to being cellar dwellers. It's likely going to be a close match.

This game is their Grand Final whilst it's just another game for us. I'm expecting them to play out of their skins then go back to being cellar dwellers. It's likely going to be a close match.
Everyone plays out of their skins against us - every game and have done since I saw my first match at sleepy hollow over 50 years ago. Nothing new.

You wouldn’t have Mayne in your best 22 like many here but Bucks will always have him........that’s my point.

So is Bucks wrong in his assessment or value of Mayne?

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Taking who we play on the wing as an example, there are good reasons for selecting any number of players, including Mayne. It doesn't mean one way is right and another wrong. It doesn't mean that two different opinions don't both have merit. I think i've been pretty clear in my posting on Mayne, what I value in him as a player, and where I think he has limitations. I'm beginning to feel like this discussion is getting forced into a 'for' or 'against' scenario. I see it as more nuanced than that.

There is an old cavalry story that back in the day before massive westward expansion in the US among all the native tribes there was one subset that were the Chiricahua Apache who were simply called 'Enemy people'.

That very much portrays the competition's mindset towards Collingwood over the many years I have supported them. Jack Elliott may be the most notable to say that beating Collingwood by a point is better than thrashing them but his statement stands for 95% of the football world at the time.

Even today you cannot listen to a broadcast or watch a footy show without more than one brain dead media hack trotting out the same old dis.

Of course the ski bunnies brought back all their big guns ready or not - we are Collingwood . . .

The enemy.

I can't wait to hear what Gimp does to his membership if Crocker is a late inclusion
The same thing he does every week, fronts up as a fashion plate :) re

Some results have fallen our way this weekend with the Lions Tigers and Giants all losing. Great opportunity to take advantage of that and stay well in the hunt for top two (and top four).

If you keep winning, the results will come and the ladder position will solve for itself.. I can accept the Geelong and West Coast losses but you cant afford to lose many games you are supposed to win (eg the Freo one).

Bump.

Looking at 34 time that the Eagles will lose.

From the round 11 ladder thats losses to teams placed 2nd 4th 5th and 6th.

We are now set up if we can beat Melbourne to be a game clear in second....and the nearest rival with a game in hand due to the bye rounds will be Port who are well back!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should come out and smash Melbourne tomorrow to claim that top two spot, a game clear and earn that nice bye rest. Hoping Cox back in helps our structure, Mihoceck or DeGoey might get a bag here.

You do know Mayne has also played forward and defense the last two weeks Quicky?

Not many players in our team can be sent to McGovern if needed or be sent to the back line also.

As Bucks said this week.......he is one of the first picked nowadays.

We still have a few “closet” Fonzies I see.

Closet Fonzie's. Dude, you are one of the worst. Remember the Tom Langdon abuse? I agree with Quicky, if we have a full list Mayne is probably on their fringe. Not a slight on him tho, just that we have a good list. We won't ever have a full list tho, so Mayne won't be dropped anytime soon.

Steele needs to lift.
Absolute star and one of my favs. Was a bit critical on him after Anzac Day (drop in form). Got castrated with people saying he’s playing a different role this year and means less possessions.

Has had some good patches since. Parted the sea which was awesome. But in and out lately.

Would love him to pick up some form of last year too.

Though most of our side down on last year’s Form at present.

Last edited:
May and Lever really shores up their backline. Yeah, they've both had significant time off, but at their best, both of them are within the top KPD in the comp.

Those back 3 of Hibberd, Lever and May looks very menacing. I can see a lot of intercept marks taking place back there, and them using their pace to run the ball down the ground. If their forward line wasn't so wasteful, I'd say they should be favorites in this game, due to the players we have out... but their forwards are absolute trash.

Closet Fonzie's. Dude, you are one of the worst. Remember the Tom Langdon abuse? I agree with Quicky, if we have a full list Mayne is probably on their fringe. Not a slight on him tho, just that we have a good list. We won't ever have a full list tho, so Mayne won't be dropped anytime soon.

I like Mayne and think he's as safe as a house in terms of selection, bacuase he's been one of our most reliable this year, but he really worries me under pressure. In the 4th quarter of a close game, he's the last bloke I want to see having to pick up a ground ball under pressure or have a shot from 30 out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back