Clinton Grybas Passes Away

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have some respect.

you are totally mis reading what i am saying.

My previous post displays how people felt about him and it is the ultimate sign of respect.

This sort of adulation on this board usually only occurs for a player or past player.

Some say that a measure of a man's life is the influence it has on others, and Clinton Grybas was truly one of those rare people, because after reading every post on this tread, it's fair to say that his influence on others was immence.

It's indeed tragic that the Australian Media has lost two great, influential, beloved and brilliant people before their time in Matt Price & Clinton Grybas in a matter of a few months, and just like Matt Price, Clinton Grybas managed the tough task of being greatly respected by all areas of his profession (a very rare thing).

But, the true tragedy of his untimely death is knowing what might have been, and how much we here have been denied the pleasure in seeing how much greater he could have been.

CLINTON GRYBAS

1975-2008

A short life that has been lived to the fullest.

RIP Clinton. I can remember when you started with the ABC VFL telecasts and even back then you were all class.

I don't know if anyone else heard, but as Grandstand went off the air at 7pm, they replayed Clinton's call of the 2000 women's water polo gold medal match between Australia and the United States. Spinetingling stuff.

To quote him from that commentary, this is unbelievable. He didn't just do footy well, he did everything well, and that is the test of a great sports broadcaster.

I'm extremely sad - two of my favourite three media personalities have died in the past few weeks, after Matt Price's death the day after the election. Just wrong.

RIP Clinton. :(

Pissed off I missed it. I listened until about 6.55.

I remember that call. I had gone to the athletics that night. It was the second Saturday of the Olympics. The swimming had finished in the afternoon with the 1500m and the medley relays so the women's Water Polo final was at the main pool not at Ryde. I had just watched the mens and womens 100m final. We snuck into some great seats after getting crappy ones on the 200m bend, but they left all the pole vaulting stuff out on the ground so we had a blocked view. Snuck around to the start postion. Was walking towards the swimming centre and we considered sneaking in to watch the final but there was only 5 minutes left. Found a screen with 400 to 500 others watching and had Clinton's call on the radio, shared my earphones with my mate, one each, and watched the final 5 minutes. A bloody brilliant call. It will stay as a big highlight of my Olympic experience.

Found this page on Clinton from the ABC's 2000 Olympic coverage. He was most looking forward to the basketball but in his 3AW profile he says the women's Water Polo game was his career highlight.

I remember him being the ABC's basketball caller and always appreciated his infectous call of the game. I knew that if the commercial media got hold of him he was going to make it big. When the Comm Games were on in 2006 I would tune in to 2UE to see if they took the athletics races from 3AW. Clinton was calling with Bruce. Bruce has lost it footywise but he can still call athletics. Clinton matched him. He once again was just brilliant.

http://www.abc.net.au/olympics/2000/coverage/commentators/s151062.htm

http://www.mytalk.com.au/Stations/Talk/3AW/Pages/ProfileClintonGrybas.aspx

This is so sad, arguably the best AFL presenter (close race with Quartermain, Mcavany a distanct third), will be a big loss for all AFL fans.

Rest in peace Clinton thanks for the great memories !!!

you ought to be joking. quarterbrain has no where near as much respect as grybas. grybas knew his stuff but most of all he truly loved the game. quarterbrains commentating usually makes me put the tv on mute where as clinton brightened the entire place up.

to think that sleepwalking killed him how tragic.....:(

RIP. I wasn't a fan of whom he called footy with on 3AW, so I didn't really listened to him much after he left the ABC (don't have Foxtel), but he was always a professional and one of the best in the business. :(

RIP Clinton, thanks for all the fun memories from 3AW, White Line Fever and many other outlets over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this has been posted or not but sleep walking maybe the answer.

THE death of Melbourne sports commentator Clinton Grybas is being investigated by Victoria police - but it is believed he died while sleepwalking.
Friends and family of the 32-year-old found dead in his city apartment yesterday said they understood he had died after hitting his head while sleepwalking.

They recounted incidents where the 3AW and Fox Sports figure had frightened himself by waking on his 15th floor balcony.

In another sleepwalking incident, Grybas thought an intruder had given him a headwound after hitting his head.

Police said there were no signs of assault or struggle

This story seems to have been changed by news.com.au. :confused:

Very sad news indeed - way too young.
Clinton's work in the media was among the best going round - White Line Fever was compulsory viewing during Fox Footy days, and his commentary was always on the ball.
He will be sadly missed. Condolences to his family & friends.

Im in shock, Ive known Clinton since the 90s when he hosted the ABC NBL show and moderated the ABC Basketball forum which I made the most posts on.
Had the pleasure of meeting him on a half dozen occasions and he's just like he is on TV, a genuinely nice bloke who will talk to anyone.
Mrs Wedgie quite often paid me out about him when he came on the TV as the first time I went to meet him I nearly fell over the steep concourse at the Clipsal Powerhouse as it was then known, she thought I was in love with him.
I feel honoured that he knew Wedgie from Adelaide.
Followed his career closeley, the ABC forced him to give up his TV NBL gig when 3AW offered him a gig and he rightfully went on to bigger and better things.
Always the best and most versatile commentator going around for many sports IMHO but Im biased having known him to a small degree.
Absolutely devestated. Ive never been so in shock from a death announced on TV as this one. I always meant to catch up with him every time I went to Melbourne but I kept putting it off till my next trip, but I'll never get that chance now.

RIP Clinton.
:(

Clinton%20Grybas.jpg

Worked with Clinton at Fox Footy Channel - I think everyone who worked there would agree he was the most diligent, hard working person they have seen.

White line fever Mon-Fri then radio on the weekend - commitment.

Had a future as the No.1 Sport Commentator is Aus - and with accuracy and wit.

Absolute shame.

And a bloody good bloke as well.

Edit - gonna listen to the 3AW call of the 2005 GF - he was brilliant, as he was in 2006.

This is tragic. I couldn't believe it when I was told today.

I remember him back from his ABC days...then didn't hear for him for a while then all of a sudden he seemed to emerge as one of the best play by play commentators going around, and seemed like a genuinely good guy. He was a great host too.

This is just...wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back